Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Rattles And Refinement

Bennet

Hi.

I'm a bit obsessive about trim rattles and refinement. I'm looking for a car that's nice to drive, suits a guy in his mid 20s, is within budget and on which none of the interior trim rattles, vibrates, buzzes or otherwise makes any noise it isn't designed to make.

Someone suggested Lexus and I'm looking at spending £4-5000 on an IS200.

IS200 owners - does your interior trim rattle or vibrate?

I'd also be grateful for comments on overall refinement. How loud is the engine noise and tyre roar on the motorway? Do you find the ride harsh and jarring?

I've read a fair few reviews and often they don't even mention this stuff, and when they do they contradict one another so I've come to the source to see what people who live with these cars daily think.

Thanks a lot.

ive had 4 is200 and an is300, no major problems with rattles apart from sunroof.on the se version..And one which had a very annoying rattle which sounded as though it was behind dash, traced it to a metal pipe vibrating in engine bay. No problems apart from the above, best cars ive ever had.

Right, my IS200 is 11 years old and just ticked over 100,000 miles last night ( :crybaby: )

Anyways, I've had this car for a year, and had zero issues with interiors squeaks and rattles. I had problems with knocking noise from front wheels (car was 90,000 miles at this point), but it was solved by replacing the front lower suspension bushes and ball joints.

There is "some" whine from the manual gearbox, and it is noticible mostly in 1st and 2nd gear. Engine noise suppression is pretty good; it is barely audible when you're driving sensibly, but pass 4000rpm and it has a nice burble to it :)

Ride is very good overall, handling is superb. I feel that road noise really depends on what tyres you have; on summer tyres (17" Falken FK452 with 5mm thread), the road noise is a bit high on the really rough surfaces on the motorway. On winter tyres (16" Continental also with 5mm thread), the noise is noticably reduced over that same road surface.

The best way for you to decide is to test drive one. Hope that helps!