Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

55 Is250 Se-L Auto 5 Years On

Hi All,

Wells its time to move on as the IS is getting on a little bit !! as in previous posts I have had a few ups and downs with it but it never missed a beat and still drives like new . It’s the wife’s car and she still love’s it as I have been trying to persuade her to change it for the last few years . I still have the gripe that it was sold under false pretences as the cost of ownership in my mind is still very high . As we us my BMW 520 d auto most weekends (don’t buy one ) I think we will go for the CT200 as we had one when the IS was in for MOT and service . I still think that Lexus customer service /care is second to none having experienced BMW over the last 4 years they are head and shoulders over the competition.

Well the good news is that the Lexus is staying in the family as my 20 year old son loves it and wants to buy it ,it should be good fun trying to trade in his Hyundai coupe for the CT200 !!!! cant wait to see the sales guy face .

cheers

swager

Hi Swager. How many miles has the car done in its five years ? I managed 130k in my 220d, then the cylinder head gasket went so I choped it in for a 250c ( top down all day today with the first good day of the year so far).

I was provided with a CT200 courtesy car when I last put my '09 IS250 SEL auto in for servicing. It seemed devoid of the luxury and performance that I associate with Lexus's (Lexi?) and was a distinct disappointment. The petrol engine cut in very soon after getting underway and it was obviously far from being as smooth and quiet as the IS250. They are more expensive to buy than other cars of similar size and quality, probably more expenive to service and repair, and of unestablished reliability and durability. I cannot see any good reason to buy one other than to raise one's green credentials or perhaps reduce congestion or car tax charges. OK, that was based on a day of driving one example but it was enough to deter me from even thinking about getting one.

Hi Swager. How many miles has the car done in its five years ? I managed 130k in my 220d, then the cylinder head gasket went so I choped it in for a 250c ( top down all day today with the first good day of the year so far).

Hi Duke,

Low miles ,only 40k really in good nick - full Lexus service history - really surprised that my 20 year old son wants it - street cred at last .

Like the look of the 250c hope you enjoy . Last time I was in the Lexus showroom a sales guy said they were not taking any new orders for the IS as new model due out ?

Cheers

Swager

Mixed feelings then Swager, your wife loves it but you aren't so sure.

I'm interested in your comment regarding false pretences and high cost of ownership, could you expand?

Hi Exiled

It goes back a few years with me moaning about when you compare with say BMW . My IS needs new front pads and possibly disc every 20k plus it can burn oil between services . I think the front end is under engineered as my 520d auto as show on the I drive the fronts will not need changing until 56k and I do not need to look at the oil level between services 20k average .

But as I have mentioned in the past I will always grap the Lexus Keys before the BMW.

Cheers

Swager

My IS needs new front pads and possibly disc every 20k plus it can burn oil between services.

That surprises me. My four year IS250 (60K+ miles) is still on its first set of pads and discs and has never needed an oil top up between services. Perhaps I'm just really lucky.

I've also driven a CT200 for a couple of days and was distinctly underwhelmed by it, bearing in mind it costs about the same as an IS. I appreciate that the road tax is free (I think) and that I could get 55mpg rather than my usual 35mpg out of it. But if economy was such an issue to me I'd probably just buy an Audio A3 or Golf diesel - both cheaper and even more economical than the CT200.

They have been making the Ct200 since 2009 and calling it a Prius so the technology is tried and tested. Driving a CT200 is not the same as anything I have ever driven except for my wifes Prius and by that yardstick it is an improvement. Casting aside badge loyalty, its the best automatic economy hybrid car I have come across.

I have bought a CT200 because I wanted one. If I wanted something faster I wouldnt have bought it. My 38 mile drive to work is along the A1234 from Little Boring to Greater Yawning which is a tedious 40 mph road because lorries use it and there is very little opportunity to overtake. Diesel cars just get sooted up, petrol cars drink the fuel, a hybrid is in its element. The road is smooth and so harsh suspension means very little, there are very few corner which one could describe as challenging so handling isnt a consideration, its just nicer to travel in a Lexus than a Toyota or a Honda.

If I were to be commuting on my old route which was 95% motorway over 50 miles then perhaps an IS would be the way to go, however, I preferred to rough it with an Audi A4 diesel.Horses for courses.

They have been making the Ct200 since 2009 and calling it a Prius so the technology is tried and tested. Driving a CT200 is not the same as anything I have ever driven except for my wifes Prius and by that yardstick it is an improvement. Casting aside badge loyalty, its the best automatic economy hybrid car I have come across.

I have bought a CT200 because I wanted one. If I wanted something faster I wouldnt have bought it. My 38 mile drive to work is along the A1234 from Little Boring to Greater Yawning which is a tedious 40 mph road because lorries use it and there is very little opportunity to overtake. Diesel cars just get sooted up, petrol cars drink the fuel, a hybrid is in its element. The road is smooth and so harsh suspension means very little, there are very few corner which one could describe as challenging so handling isnt a consideration, its just nicer to travel in a Lexus than a Toyota or a Honda.

If I were to be commuting on my old route which was 95% motorway over 50 miles then perhaps an IS would be the way to go, however, I preferred to rough it with an Audi A4 diesel.Horses for courses.

Hi Mass,

Totally agree with your thoughts and comments on the CT200 , it suits the wife as mainly town driving ,see likes the Lexus customer care and the fact that when you walk into our Lexus dealership they in my opinion generally think about you as a customer ,even though we have not replaced our 5 year old IS250 we still get treated the same .

I could get a great deal on a BMW as we have several BMW on lease but as it’s the wife’s car she will not entertain the 1 or 3 series. Although given the chance she would like an Aston Martin Vantage. Each to their own when it comes to what car floats your boat .

i have a 55 sel auto, and although it is a pleasure to drive, I have never had a car that rattles as badly as this one, so much so that it has ruined my ownership and I am constantly sticking pieces or foam and electrical tape into gaps and panels to try and stop it - to no avail.

as much as i love lexus, i doubt i shall be replacing it with another is250 this year - even the new one i had as a courtesy car a month ago, which had 6000 miles on it, rattled in all the same places mine does - albeit slightly quieter. I really would have thought that by now they had sorted the rattle problems out, but apparently not, so it will have to be one hell of an offer to get me into a new one :(

the CT200h would be great if it wasn't a hatchback and looked so wierd at the back. But even then, I would worry that the rattle problem would find me again...

I've got the same as Lexusforever and agree entirely with his comments. Although mine creaks and rattles in all the usual places its very random. But it just shouldnt. If i'd bought new at 30k i'd be very dissapointed. Im also starting to find it boring to drive.. I hope the new model is all new.. and they've paid attention to the rattle issues. If they don't - Lexus deserve to loose even more business to BMW. Been looking into Fords and hyundai's lately - never thought id be saying that! (dont worry not doing anything rash yet!). Edit.. just seen a couple of CT's in the metal and they look better in 3d than in photos. Dont seem as dumpy as initially thought. Nothing against hatchbacks at all if they are practical but reviews suggest ride is poor (worse than IS with 17" ??) And a bit underpowered... Will have to try one sometime... All subjective isnt it.

I bought my IS250 SE-L 2007 two and a half years ago with 8k on the clock, its now done 32.5k and has never rattled or creaked at all, I'm still loving the refined drive every time.

I've got the same as Lexusforever and agree entirely with his comments. Although mine creaks and rattles in all the usual places its very random. But it just shouldnt. If i'd bought new at 30k i'd be very dissapointed. Im also starting to find it boring to drive.. I hope the new model is all new.. and they've paid attention to the rattle issues. If they don't - Lexus deserve to loose even more business to BMW. Been looking into Fords and hyundai's lately - never thought id be saying that! (dont worry not doing anything rash yet!). Edit.. just seen a couple of CT's in the metal and they look better in 3d than in photos. Dont seem as dumpy as initially thought. Nothing against hatchbacks at all if they are practical but reviews suggest ride is poor (worse than IS with 17" ??) And a bit underpowered... Will have to try one sometime... All subjective isnt it.

I bought my SE-L new in December 2005 and it never rattled in the 6 years of ownership, apart from the door catch rattle that I fixed with a couple of winds of insulation tape. Perhaps they took more care in assembling the first ones off the production lines, or maybe down to variation between the two production facilities in Japan?

The IS-F doesn't suffer from rattles either, although the internal trim is almost identical to the rest of the 2nd Gen IS range.

• 3 months later...

Well we had the CT on extended test drive and to cut a long story the wife did not like the ride quality and found the mouse control difficult to use plus the difference in power between the IS 250 and the CT is big .We also had a BMW X1 on extended test and she likes it so we have ordered the new update X1 that should be with early September . So junior will have to wait to get his grubby hands on her IS until then .

When I was in the Lexus showroom Indinhave a quick look at the new GS and it's not a bad looking car ,will have to have a test drive in the New Year when the 520 is due to handed back .

Cheers

Swagger

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Well she,s finally gone but will still get the chance to drive her as Indidnthe deal with my son.

I did not go for the CT200 as the wife did not like the ride quality and opted for a BMW X1 with all the extras .Well what a balls up BMW made of the spec and the fight I have been in trying to sort out .to cut a long story short I am handing the car back today and have a loaner until the next correct spec X1 is delivered (4weeks)

Will be returning to the brand next year as the 520 is due to be replaced ,so GS250 or if the new IS is launched happy days .

Cheers

Bonny