Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Toyota Dealer Servicing And Lexus Warranty

Hi,

I am considering servicing my lexus through a Toyota dealer. Does anyone know whether my Lexus warranty will be valid?

Has anyone here serviced their car via Toyota dealer?

Thanks,

Alex

I had my IS200 SE serviced by my local Toyota dealer after it was out of warranty and it didn't affect the trade-in value at all. I got far better treatment, and it was much less expensive too. I'm unable to comment with certainty about whether it will affect the warranty but I now very much doubt it.

When I first enquired about servicing I was told by Toyota, they can do all normal servicing but could not do warranty claims.

Bear in mind, at the end of the day your car is a Toyota - a very superior one, but a Toyota nevertheless.

Please read very carefully the conditions of the Lexus warranty in your warranty and service manual, and I’ll quote from my mine (now a CT200h but I’m sure they’re all the same).

“You are responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is serviced and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and instructions, as set out in the Owner’s manual. Failure to do so may invalidate the warranty for maintenance-related items”.

You’ll notice there is nothing there that states the work must by done by Lexus, indeed as far as I know this would constitute a restrictive practice and this was outlawed many years ago.

I had my IS200 SE serviced by my local Toyota dealer after it was out of warranty and it didn't affect the trade-in value at all. I got far better treatment, and it was much less expensive too. I'm unable to comment with certainty about whether it will affect the warranty but I now very much doubt it.

When I first enquired about servicing I was told by Toyota, they can do all normal servicing but could not do warranty claims.

Bear in mind, at the end of the day your car is a Toyota - a very superior one, but a Toyota nevertheless.

Please read very carefully the conditions of the Lexus warranty in your warranty and service manual, and I’ll quote from my mine (now a CT200h but I’m sure they’re all the same).

“You are responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is serviced and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and instructions, as set out in the Owner’s manual. Failure to do so may invalidate the warranty for maintenance-related items”.

You’ll notice there is nothing there that states the work must by done by Lexus, indeed as far as I know this would constitute a restrictive practice and this was outlawed many years ago.

HI John,

Thank you for the information .

I think I need to phone Lexus warranty to see whether they accept. The service by Toyota is half the cost of a lexus service!

Does anyone here have the Lexus warranty contact number?

Thanks.

Alex

I had my IS200 SE serviced by my local Toyota dealer after it was out of warranty and it didn't affect the trade-in value at all. I got far better treatment, and it was much less expensive too. I'm unable to comment with certainty about whether it will affect the warranty but I now very much doubt it. When I first enquired about servicing I was told by Toyota, they can do all normal servicing but could not do warranty claims. Bear in mind, at the end of the day your car is a Toyota - a very superior one, but a Toyota nevertheless. Please read very carefully the conditions of the Lexus warranty in your warranty and service manual, and I’ll quote from my mine (now a CT200h but I’m sure they’re all the same). “You are responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is serviced and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications and instructions, as set out in the Owner’s manual. Failure to do so may invalidate the warranty for maintenance-related items”. You’ll notice there is nothing there that states the work must by done by Lexus, indeed as far as I know this would constitute a restrictive practice and this was outlawed many years ago.
HI John, Thank you for the information . I think I need to phone Lexus warranty to see whether they accept. The service by Toyota is half the cost of a lexus service! Does anyone here have the Lexus warranty contact number? Thanks. Alex

Try 0844 871 7753 , the number for extended warranty .. they might steer you in the right direction

I manage to speak to Lexus warranty and they confirmed the following:

'You can service you Lexus from a Toyota dealer as long as they provide Lexus approved parts with the servicing of your Lexus vehicle. This would not void the manufacturer’s warranty provided from Lexus.

If however you required to have work completed under the warranty of the Lexus vehicle they would not be able to assist you, as any warranty work would have to be completed by a Lexus Service centre.'

Therfore it seems that one can have they Lexus serviced by Toyota. I just hope that Toyota would be able to contact Lexus should there be any work that needs to be done under warranty.

I've seen many arguments about this on various motoring forums.

The general opinion seems to be that any vat registered garage can service vehicles without affecting warranty.

I've even seen it said that you can use non genuine parts of good quality, though personally I'd always go for genuine parts with receipts for same.

The fly in the ointment is when you want goodwill repairs outside warranty, obviously a full dealer S/H will always trump a non dealer one.

Here's an article that seems to say as much

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/right-to-repair-campaign.html

Lexus warranty told me that any work to be carried out under warranty can only be done by a Lexus approved garage. I wonder if a Toyota garage which services my car would assist a Lexus garage in informing them what needs to be done under warranty?

Not many Toyota service centres in London would service Lexus. The majority I have phoned recommended me a Lexus service centre.

Does anyone know of any Toyota dealers in London which would service Lexus? The only one I have found is the one in Hampstead.

your lexus warranty will not be affected by your car been serviced by toyota, all parts supplied by lexus and toyota are boxed with the toyota logo

I am concerned with work carried out under warranty. Although the lexus warranty will not be affected by the car being serviced under Toyota, only Lexus can carry out work required under warranty. I hope Toyota will cooperate with Lexus.

by taking your car to toyota for a cheaper service, if they tell you something needs attention . all you have to do is take your car to lexus tell them the fault if it's with in the warranty they will put right free of charge. your service book would have been stamped by toyota as a condition of your warranty, so there should be no issues.

you will find toyota are fine it's lexus who are the ones don't cooperate

by taking your car to toyota for a cheaper service, if they tell you something needs attention . all you have to do is take your car to lexus tell them the fault if it's with in the warranty they will put right free of charge. your service book would have been stamped by toyota as a condition of your warranty, so there should be no issues.

you will find toyota are fine it's lexus who are the ones don't cooperate

One would have thought Lexus would cooperate since they are being paid for the warranty work by Lexus warranty?

Well done Alex! Your phone call to the warranty people has confirmed what I thought. I will use my local Toyota dealer for all servicing this time.

And I agree with Glen-250, Toyota staff seem to be very helpful and friendly and it's Lexus who are difficult in my experience.

my lexus dealer is 70 miles away , hence my local toyota is 10 ,who i have used for 10yrs with my uk spec supra. when i asked them to quote on a 40 k service took them nearly a week to come back with a £200 odd cheaper . because the time was spent asking lexus for the relevant info/ data for servicing.apparently they were very un helpful, now if they were more competitive , there would be no reason for me or anyone else not to use lexus. hence why asked lexus warranty if they would have any issues, which they said no problem.

Does anyone know what is the average cost of major service from Toyota including changing spark plugs? How often does spark plugs need to be changed?

Thanks.

Alex

Does anyone know what is the average cost of major service from Toyota including changing spark plugs? How often does spark plugs need to be changed?

Thanks.

Alex

Anyone able to assist me on the above question?

Thanks.

Alex

Anyone able to assist me on the above question?

Spark plugs need to be changed every 72 months or 60k.

I would ring my Lexus dealership, ask the for a price for a service, when they tell me how much it will be, tell them the Toyota service price, your be surprised how much Lexus drop in price, especially if they are a bit short on work. I have had a £120 service charge difference, and that’s between different Lexus dealerships, so shop around.

I would ring my Lexus dealership, ask the for a price for a service, when they tell me how much it will be, tell them the Toyota service price, your be surprised how much Lexus drop in price, especially if they are a bit short on work. I have had a £120 service charge difference, and that’s between different Lexus dealerships, so shop around.

Hi Chris,

I have tried that but find Lexus dealers in London are considerably dearer than Toyota dealers. Maybe London lexus dealers are very busy!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links