Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My friend has a '05 RX400h. Last night, when driving through town, he heard a 'pop' and the car rolled to a stop.

He shut it down, and then tried to restart it. Everything seemed to be OK when he pressed the start button, but when he tried to engage drive 'CHECK VSC' came up on the dash, and the car wouldn't engage forward or reverse.

Being a saturday evening, he called the AA who organised a flatbed to take his car home.

This morning he went out to the car to check things in the daylight (don't know what he would do if he found anything though)

Pressed the unlock button, the car unlocked.

He wanted to fold the mirrors in, so he pressed that button and the mirrors folded.

He then tried to start the car, but this time the only sign of life on the dashboard was the ''check engine management'' symbol, and nothing else.

So basically, the car is dead.

He will have to arrange getting the car to Lexus tomorrow, but in the meanwhile I thought I'd post on here to see if anyone might know what the problem might be, or if anyone has heard of this kind of shutdown before, and what sort of repair bill he could possibly be facing.???

This vehicle has a normal 12 volt car Battery as well as the hybrid pack, there have been cases of this failing resulting in the problem the car has now, basically this Battery powers up all the ECUs and will cause strange things to happen like transmission faults when there is insufficient power from it.

There have also been reported invertor pack problems associated with the hybrid system.

What ever the outcome please post up the findings from Lexus as it may help other members faced with the same problem in the future

Sounds more like an Inverter problem than Battery. Was the car subject to the recent Inverter fault recall?

Search the site for Inverter probs. If it is this, then its the thick end of £2k!!!!!

Thanks for the replies so far.

Here's an update.

My friend got his RX transported to his local Lexus service shop yesterday.

He was phoned today to say that it is indeed the inverter that's gone, but his car is covered by the current inverter recall. (Stroke of luck there)

He was informed that a new inverter should be in tomorrow (wednesday), but it will take around 8 hours to get it fitted.

Once the inverter is fitted, they will then be able to check out all the other systems, as they won't register with a blown inverter (that's what he was told)

Here's hoping other parts/systems weren't compromised when the inverter went south.

I'll report back again when I get more info.

Well, it's been a few days now since he got his RX back and everything is Hunky Dory ........... until this morning!

Amongst his mail was a letter from Lexus Ireland informing him of ANOTHER RECALL, this time with reference to the power steering pulley, and how it could become detatched (or something like that, he was reading it to me over the phone, and me being a bit under the weather wasn't really taking it in)

Anyone else here hear of this power steering pulley problem?

i too had this recall , there ia a chance that this pulley can move along it's shaft . Mine was ok , but there has been vehicles that it has happened on , even so , there is no big panic . Also i had the inverter recall work done which involved re-greasing a circuit board and checking the solder on transistors of the intelligent power module ( so i was told by lexus !!! ). Hope this helps.

My 400h was also recalled for inverter but when I got the car back I was told that the VIN Number was outside the recall numbers so no work was done. Strange that they couldn't check the VIN number from the reg number before I lost my car for a day!!

My 400h was also recalled for inverter but when I got the car back I was told that the VIN Number was outside the recall numbers so no work was done. Strange that they couldn't check the VIN number from the reg number before I lost my car for a day!!

The chassis range covers affected vehicles however not all are fitted with the affected inverter so this has to be checked physically.

Andy