Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems Headed Off At The Pass?

I have read loads and loads of threads/posts on here regarding the problems encountered through a gunged-up EGR Valve. I have therefore taken the bull by the horns and have hopefully headed off any problems with the EGR Valve on my 57 plate 220d.

I decided to use the Bardahl EGR-Valve Cleaning Kit, which I referred to in my earlier thread "More on EGR Cleaning"

The details of the kit can be found via this link :-

http://top-oils.co.uk/egr-valve-cleaning-kit-p-191.html

When I dismantled the valve it was indeed pretty gunged-up so I think that I could have run into the proverbial problem at any time. Knowing my luck it would probably have happened when I set off on my trip from 'sunny' Devon to Lincolnshire in mid-April.

post-40229-0-18367200-1331150712.jpg

post-40229-0-51891600-1331150756.jpg

post-40229-0-94892800-1331150673.jpg

Hopefully these photo's will appear OK for you to see the 'before and after' situation.

I found that to remove the valve it was necessary to remove the long pipe that runs alongside the engine from the EGR Valve to the rear of the engine block. In order to remove this I also had to remove the Battery to be able to get at the two bolts. Once it was all dismantled I started to use the cleaning kit. The kit came with the necessary instructions as provided by Peter Trott (the chap that I mentioned in my earlier thread) and, as I also mentioned he really is most helpful, and will talk you through the process if you decide to use the kit and, feel the need to speak to someone.

From here on in I shall definitely be using a fuel additive to try to lessen the build-up of the carbon/soot in the valve etc.

I have left the Battery disconnected for quite a while so that I can put into practice the suggestion by Matus entitled "Increase your mileage in a few steps" which i hope will result in better MPG from my car.

I'm not that brill on the old computer so if when I post this the photo's don't appear I will have to try some other way for you to see them.

Nice job there.

So... the burning question is... what differences have you found since doing this?

Interestingly, I am trying the BG244 additive to a tank of fuel at the moment [only 130 miles done so far]. Early indications are promising though. Low rev pull away is more responsive already [from cold start I drive straight up 2 hills immediately].

Nice job there.

So... the burning question is... what differences have you found since doing this?

Interestingly, I am trying the BG244 additive to a tank of fuel at the moment [only 130 miles done so far]. Early indications are promising though. Low rev pull away is more responsive already [from cold start I drive straight up 2 hills immediately].

Hi normski2, Can't offer any findings yet as I have only just completed that job, I am now in the process of fitting a modification that will fold/unfold the mirrors when the doors are locked/unlocked. I will report back just as soon as I can but will probably be in a week or thereabouts.

P.S. I notice that my piccy's are out of sequence, I did say that I wasn't that brill on the old PC!! At least they are visible I suppose.

WOW! Am I pleased that I headed off the problems at the pass? You can bet your sweet life I am. Not only have I, hopefully, avoided future problems with the EGR Valve but I have the added benefits of (already) a quieter and smoother running engine too!

I carried out the second phase of the Bardahl EGR Cleaning process yesterday which simply involved pouring the supplied can of additive into the fuel tank. The Battery has been disconnected whilst I was doing a couple of other jobs and so presumably, from what I have read on this forum, the ECU has re-set itself.

So today, I decided to take a break from filling a couple of builders skips (the big'uns too) and to take my car for a run to get the additive into the system.

You will see from the attached photograph that I covered a total distance of 45.4 miles, which included all of the side roads from where I live and, the B roads that takes me to the motorway, which is 11miles ( 22miles there and back) and therefore about 11.75miles of motorway (23.5miles both ways) but, the impressive figure is the AVG figure of 47.6 mpg.

Previously, the best that I had seen on my display was 34.5 mpg and the overall mpg on my spreadsheet is showing only 31.08 mpg since buying the car on October 28th 2011.

Presumably as the additive continues to do its work I may even get to see an improvement in this return, who knows, I suppose that only time will tell but, even if it stays as it is I will be quite pleased.

post-40229-0-08453400-1331310704.jpg

Thats good news. Don't be surprised to see your avg drop a tad with more local driving. I find mine varies between 37 and 42, it realy does depend on a lot of factors. On journeys I get 49 to 55.

It may also drop as the ECU 'regenerates'.

I too work with wood stuff, can't all be mechanics can we, so I'll whip out the EGR first chance I get just to have a peek inside.

Well, you inspired me to do the same this afty. Removed the EGR and completely dismantled and cleaned. Have to say mine was not completely clogged up, but there was a fair degree of carbon material lining starting to develop. You are quite right, it is best to completely remove the Battery so you can get a socket on those rear pipe bolts. Reckon a novice can do this in about one and half hours start to finish. Going to make a point of doing this every 6000 miles.

See how we go over the next two weeks or so.

Well, you inspired me to do the same this afty. Removed the EGR and completely dismantled and cleaned. Have to say mine was not completely clogged up, but there was a fair degree of carbon material lining starting to develop. You are quite right, it is best to completely remove the battery so you can get a socket on those rear pipe bolts. Reckon a novice can do this in about one and half hours start to finish. Going to make a point of doing this every 6000 miles.

See how we go over the next two weeks or so.

Well done Normski (where does your user name come from?) I really do feel that it is a job well worth doing. It does seem strange though that bearing in mind all of the problems that the EGR causes, that it hasn't become part of at least the major service. I found removing the Battery to be a bit of a pain as I seem to have lost a lot of the strength from my arms (it's an age thing!) i'm sure that a younger chap would have no problems with it though. As I said in my previous post, I am really pleased with the outcome and am now looking forward to my 600 mile round trip in April. It will be interesting to see what sort of return I get on that run.

Edit: have you been, or are you intending, to use any fuel additive to help keep the system cleaner?

Yes I'm currently trying the BG244 additive. 1 tin into a tank of fuel every 10,000 miles or so. I'll certainly give the Bardahl a try too.. next time round.

Normski started years ago and just kinda stuck.

Got a trip to N Devon coming up so that wil be an interesting mpg test, very much a cross country route from Bournemouth. If your 600 round trip is mostly on motorways I would hope you see 49-54 mpg at 70-75mph in 5th, make sure you use cruise control, I find it excellent. Don't bother with 6th unless on the continent!!

Yes I'm currently trying the BG244 additive. 1 tin into a tank of fuel every 10,000 miles or so. I'll certainly give the Bardahl a try too.. next time round.

Normski started years ago and just kinda stuck.

Got a trip to N Devon coming up so that wil be an interesting mpg test, very much a cross country route from Bournemouth. If your 600 round trip is mostly on motorways I would hope you see 49-54 mpg at 70-75mph in 5th, make sure you use cruise control, I find it excellent. Don't bother with 6th unless on the continent!!

Have driven to Bournemouth countless times. Almost bought a business in a place called Kinson I think it was, many many moons ago now though. . I quite like the Poole area.

I will keep my eyes peeled for your reports on the BG244. I always use cruise control whenever circumstances allow.

Right! Yous have convinced me too. What exactly should I buy? The Bardahl cleaner and what else?

Hi Gavin, go back to the beginning of this thread and you will see that I have posted the link to the kit there. It comes as a complete Kit, i.e cleaner and addititive. The info on my cans were in French and I think German, but Peter Trott puts in a leaflet which explains exactly what to do. Have a word with Peter and tell him that you have been in touch with me, Geoff Lees and he will do all that he can to help. I've got Peter's phone number but can't put my hand on it at the moment, but I think that it is on the website anyway. Email me if you need to.

Just an update on the use of BG244.

Have to say I am very impressed. Done some 300 miles now. Low end acceleration is near instantaneous now, even when away from cold first thing in the morning. Engine is noticeably quieter. Going really well at the moment and pulls an absolute treat. This always was a torquey engine though, going like the proverbial right now. I have heard good things said of Bardahl and Forte too, so I will give them go at a later date. My mpg is pretty similar, it has always varied around 38 - 41 around town. She just sounds and goes so much better.

Must admit to cleaning the EGR valve myself ( quite cokey but not blocked at all) so that has probably contributed too in all fairness. Cleaning the EGR is easy peezy .... I would strongly urge all owners with a ounce of daring do to do it!! Then do it once a year. Probably one of the most useful 45 minute jobs you could do. There is a very good video of how to do it on another post. I'd just say work on a piece of old ply or the like( not on a kerbside.. you could introduce some nasty burrs on the casing). If you are not doing longish journeys you need to do this to prevent coking up. On longer journeys you would get the engine and all components much hotter and this would help to facilitate natural burning off of all those little nasties, carbon, gum, resin, waxes, call em what you will.

• 1 month later...

Hello again folks. I have now completed my round-trip to Lincolnshire (as mentioned earlier in this thread) and can give you the results following my cleaning of the EGR Valve with the Bardahl EGR Cleaning Kit and the use of the Bardahl B10 Fuel Improver (additive).

I travelled just under 634 miles, using the M5, M42, M69, A46 and the A17 along with local roads around Sleaford going to various relatives, airforce bases etc.

Whilst driving on the motorways at a constant 70mph with cruise control on, the computer was showing a figure that fluctuated between 55 and 57mpg and on my arrival back here in (Sunny!!!) Devon, the figure showing was 48.6mpg overall.

I am really pleased with these figures and can say quite categorically that the EGR Valve cleaning exercise was well worth the small amount of effort involved, and which, hopefully, will have prevented any problems with this valve in the future. I will now follow the Bardahl recommendation of adding a fuel injector cleaner at each 3000 to 4000 miles.

• 1 month later...

great to see that you are having good results from the bg244 norm,things are going very well with the ar 6200 too.

Well, I have now purchased the AR6200 fuel additive and have commenced a trial. First 50 ltrs through and the car is going really well and sounds a tad better too. Early days though really. I like the AR6200 dispensing bottle, makes small measures easy to achieve. :)

So, bit of a thumbs up all round. Given the miniscule cost per tank full (6p if i remember correctly) and the fact that fuel prices have dropped, its a bit of a win win really. Mpg is pretty much the same varying around 39-42 on my run to work. Fortunately, mpg has not been an issue for me with this engine. In fact I have always been quite impressed by what I get ( touching all near pieces of wood!!!!) on my motoring trips.

great to see that you are having good results from the bg244 norm,things are going very well with the ar 6200 too.

Well, I have now purchased the AR6200 fuel additive and have commenced a trial. First 50 ltrs through and the car is going really well and sounds a tad better too. Early days though really. I like the AR6200 dispensing bottle, makes small measures easy to achieve. :)

So, bit of a thumbs up all round. Given the miniscule cost per tank full (6p if i remember correctly) and the fact that fuel prices have dropped, its a bit of a win win really. Mpg is pretty much the same varying around 39-42 on my run to work. Fortunately, mpg has not been an issue for me with this engine. In fact I have always been quite impressed by what I get ( touching all near pieces of wood!!!!) on my motoring trips.

It will be really interesting to see some more results from using the AR6200 as I feel that they will need to be pretty good when compared to the results I have achieved with the Bardahl Oils B10 additive.

The cost of the AR6200 at £33.96 for 250ml is more than double that of the B10 which can be purchased for £15.00 for the same amount (250ml)

Did you manage to buy cheaper than I have seen, if so where did you buy it from. If the results do turn out to be really good I would certainly give the product a go. I'm all for anything that gives better performance etc.

B10 can be seen here - http://top-oils.co.uk/b10-fuel-improver-250ml-p-298.html

Not wishing to get into a scrap at all. But can I just point out there is a price difference, but it works out slightly different to what you may have thought. Apologies for my typo on the post above, I put 6p and meant to put 60p...oops!

B10 costs £15 for 250ml, and 250 ml treats 250 ltrs of fuel. 1ml of b10 costs 6p. So, if you put 50 ltrs of diesel into the tank you would put in 50 ml of B10 which would be £3.

AR6200 costs £33 for 250ml, but 250ml treats 2500 ltrs of fuel. 1ml ofAR6200 costs just over 13p. If you put 50 ltrs of diesel into the tank you would put in 5ml of AR6200 which would be around 65p. Incidentally it is advised to do the first thre fill ups at double dosage, so its £1.30 for those.

I just hope I was paying attention in Mrs Gray's maths lessons all those years ago, if not I'll get the hat!!

At the end of the day you pays yer money and you takes yer pick. Having said that I will try B10 next time to satisfy my own curiosity.

B10 here - http://top-oils.co.uk/b10-fuel-improver-250ml-p-298.html

AR6200 here - http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/385/archoil-ar6200-fuel-modification-complex--combustion--burn-rate-modifier-lubricant

Not wishing to get into a scrap at all. But can I just point out there is a price difference, but it works out slightly different to what you may have thought. Apologies for my typo on the post above, I put 6p and meant to put 60p...oops!

B10 costs £15 for 250ml, and 250 ml treats 250 ltrs of fuel. 1ml of b10 costs 6p. So, if you put 50 ltrs of diesel into the tank you would put in 50 ml of B10 which would be £3.

AR6200 costs £33 for 250ml, but 250ml treats 2500 ltrs of fuel. 1ml ofAR6200 costs just over 13p. If you put 50 ltrs of diesel into the tank you would put in 5ml of AR6200 which would be around 65p. Incidentally it is advised to do the first thre fill ups at double dosage, so its £1.30 for those.

I just hope I was paying attention in Mrs Gray's maths lessons all those years ago, if not I'll get the hat!!

At the end of the day you pays yer money and you takes yer pick. Having said that I will try B10 next time to satisfy my own curiosity.

B10 here - http://top-oils.co.u...50ml-p-298.html

AR6200 here - http://www.powerenha...ifier-lubricant

Hi again normski2, With all that detail I think that you have convinced me to have a go with the AR6200. As soon as I have used all of my B10 I will have a go with the AR6200. I did a bit of trawling around on the internet and found some reviews by some yanks who absolutely swear by it so yes, definitely worth a go methinks. I think that Mrs Gray would have been proud of you!

Dear old Granny Gray! Maybe she wasn't such a bad old stick after all.

Still use the old SOCATOA routine and Pythagoras for working out wacky furniture shapes and establishing door sizes!!

And i was one of many many who sat there thinking "when the hell am I ever going to use this".

Still use the old SOCATOA routine and Pythagoras for working out wacky furniture shapes and establishing door sizes!!

And i was one of many many who sat there thinking "when the hell am I ever going to use this".

Sorry normski2 Pythagoras I get ..........but SOCATOA?

Sohcahtoa is the way to remember how Sine, Cosine and Tangent work. Trust me, you did this at school, and by eck was it boring at the time!!

So, if you know some components of a triangle, you can work out the others.

Soh...

Sine = Opposite / Hypotenuse

...cah...

Cosine = Adjacent / Hypotenuse

...toa

Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent

or you can Google it to find the answer.

Hi! Looking at the photo's from " bluenose1940" (Thank you!) I am a little concerned about any hard carbon deposits falling into the CAT. So! I thought, could a ballon be inserted through the deposits to be inflated before cleaning?

Has anyone thought of any reason not to do this? ie. The balloon bursting and doing more damage!

Hi! Looking at the photo's from " bluenose1940" (Thank you!) I am a little concerned about any hard carbon deposits falling into the CAT. So! I thought, could a ballon be inserted through the deposits to be inflated before cleaning?

Has anyone thought of any reason not to do this? ie. The balloon bursting and doing more damage!

Hi Colin, When I did mine, I simply had my workshop vacuum running all of the time wth the nozzle nestled up against the scraper. This kept everything clear all of the time. I think that you are likely to burst the balloon with whatever you are scraping with. You could if you wish just stuff a rag in the hole with most of it outside of the aperture, no chance then of the rag being pushed in too far.

Sorry normski2 Pythagoras I get ..........but SOCATOA?

Do you really want to know? OK I'll just get my slide rule.

SOHCAHTOA is a neumonic device for remembering the definition of the basic trig functions in terms of the sides of a right triangle - the side Opposite the angle, the side Adjacent to the Angle, and the long side, known as the Hypotenuse. To wit, S(in) = O(pposite)/H(ypotenuse), C(os)=A(djacent)/H(ypotenuse), T(angent)=O(pposite)/A(djacent)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Geoff, I'm new to this posting thingy. I couldn't find my post again!

I agree, I think the rag is a better idea as well as the vacuum. I'll get around and check it out but in the meantime I'm driving with slightly higher revs until the engine is hot.