Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thought I'd Share This ... Complete Iphone Integration

auzzam

Hi Guys,

Over the last few months I have been working on a small project on my is200. I wanted to be able to use the Iphone to play music without having to change the headunit. With help from Geoffers (TOP BLOKE!) I managed to create an AUX in switch which would allow my Iphone music to come through the car speakers (the AUX in switch is shown at the start of the video approx 24 seconds). This Iphone craze quickly increased as I found myself a sat nav housing with a built in monitor.

I started thinking of the possibilities as having been a user of an Iphone for a number of years and knowing how powerful it can be I set to work on fully integrating it with my is200. I had to remove the centre console to feed the video lead into the position I wanted it (because whilst driving I didn't want the Iphone to be visible.)

flap.jpg

Having it mounted in this posistion allowed for optimum control when changing the songs without having to look at the screen, simply open the the flap, swipe down and your next track will play. (as shown in the video)

I then thought my sat nav screen (which is just a monitor by the way) could actually benefit from having a sat nav. Having used a TomTom most my driving career, I downloaded the TomTom app and it works just like the real deal except now you dont have to annoyingly stick it on the windscreen.

tomtomlk.jpg

Ever since I was working on this, I thought it would be a really cool thing if I could somehow replicate the computer present in the GTR. I found this app last week, and have been using it ever since. The Iphone comes with a built in accelerometer which is supposed to be within 0.001 of accuracy. Its pretty fun to keep an eye on the amount of G's your pulling and also to see your average speed. The app has a lot more settings such as outside temperature etc.

gtrsc.jpg

gtr2i.jpg

There was also a speed app, which I forgot to include in the video but its pretty much a novelty speedo that shows what your current speed is via GPS . On cruise control at 50 .. the app showed 48 so not bad at all.

Ispeedod.jpg

When using the TomTom and other GPS this tends to eat into my iphones Battery life so I added the functionality of USB Charging (also visible in the video)

usbc.jpg

Live TV works really well, I have used it numerous times especially when parked up waiting for some one. It works great whilst driving (for passengers view) and doesnt break up over 3g. A great alternative to free view.

Last but not least here is the video to see it all in action. Hope you like it, and perhaps I have inspired some of you to try a similar venture.

Full list of Apps used :

Jailbroken app to mirror onto screen : TvOut2

Apps from the app store

GTR Style Computer : Zilla

Music Player : Flicktunes

Sat Nav : TomTom

Speed : Speedbox

thanks, glad you liked it.

I used a diagram the Geoffers made up for me :

auxin.png

along with this post :

http://my.is/forums/f63/is300-aux-mod-341142/

in regards to the cable going to the monitor it simply plugs into the AV inputs on the screen, and runs alongside the centre console. I had to drill a hole in the pocket to fit the dock connector in. I could knock up a quick diagram to better explain it tomorrow.

Nice one auzzam, looks really good mate. Did you get you camera fitted after?

I still have an additional input on my Navtool so been meaning to connect the iphone. Did you use the apple AV cable? Also will TVap2 mirror everything on the iphone screen?

Hi Red,

I havent got round to fitting in the camera, might well be looking at parking sensors as an alternative or a smaller low key camera.

Yes I used the original apple av cable (a cousin of mine had one lying around). And TVout2 mirrors everything and even lets you adjust the output display size.

Hi, this is very good, like it alot. Just wondered if that is a aftermarket monitor or the standard monitor which comes with the car? Only say this because i want to fit a dvd player in mine and would be so much easier if i could just plug into that standard monitor, thanks

Hi, this is very good, like it alot. Just wondered if that is a aftermarket monitor or the standard monitor which comes with the car? Only say this because i want to fit a dvd player in mine and would be so much easier if i could just plug into that standard monitor, thanks

It's an aftermarket screen fitted into the original housing, I bought it with the screen already fitted

• 1 month later...

will this send sound out of all the speakers

and how is volume controlled

thanks

send is through all the speakers, and it is controlled from the normal stereo volume controls... by far the best alternative to aftermarket stereo and only costs around £10! ( the auxillary mod that is)

thanks, glad you liked it.

I used a diagram the Geoffers made up for me :

auxin.png

along with this post :

http://my.is/forums/...aux-mod-341142/

in regards to the cable going to the monitor it simply plugs into the AV inputs on the screen, and runs alongside the centre console. I had to drill a hole in the pocket to fit the dock connector in. I could knock up a quick diagram to better explain it tomorrow.

Hi

I manage to done the top first part... when i connect the [black/white] and {grey] part... it blew a fuse [lucky i got spare.... without connect those two i'll get buzz sound with the music play from the ipod.

what i miss out or did wrong?

Deffo a grounding problem check your wiring as some models have different colours on the ground cables.

would be great there's picture shown (not pro at this)

can i just gound it by connecting the ground wire to the body sheild?

thanks

Seems like a short across the relay. You shouldn'thear anything without the power to the relay - the head unit should just be playing normally.

What model relay or switch did you use?

Best bet is to take a photo and post back here.

Seems like a short across the relay. You shouldn'thear anything without the power to the relay - the head unit should just be playing normally.

What model relay or switch did you use?

Best bet is to take a photo and post back here.

i haven't had any clue what type of relay installed as i bought at Maplins.

what type of relay u reckon i shud be use?

i go get another relay next thing tomorrow.

thanks

you need a 4 pole double throw 12 v relay

Yep, dodgy01 is dead right. Maplins code N42AW, £4.99 but not always in stock. If not you can use two double pole changeover relays.

Thanks guys..sorry for the late reply

Hi

Finally got every install today.

Thank you guys for helping me getting the right relay...

Just so advised anyone who's going to do this mod... unplug the stereo fuse "20" and "10" (engine and below driver) before doing the wiring or you'll end up looking for it unless u have spare in hands.

By the way,my stereo 'L-' was browns instead of black which shown on the diagram.

Do you mean "R-"? That could explain the odd sound and fuse blowing.

Its really odd though as I've installed loads of these across the models and never come across that one. Interesting to keep a note of though - do you have any photo's I can add to my 'oddments' list?

Here's the diagram - there's no t&b updates for it. Hey, as long as its working that's the main thing. Happy days.

WiringChart.jpg

• 3 months later...

is this possible to be done with the factory fitted sat nav screen?

Or wud screen change be a must?

not sure about the factory satnav m8.... not really sure if the mod will harm ur satnav wiring connection

maybe someone have a better answer :hocus-pokus:

a GROM unit might be the answer u looking for perhaps ?? :geek:

Very nice - what screen are you using? It seems to render/rescale really nicely, but the smaller nav screen is an odd size isn't it? (I have one here, and it's 5.3" and not actually 5" as everyone says?)

I'd be really tempted to do something similar with a 7" screen and try and tie it in with a GROM unit (which I already have) so as to be able to control the music control from the head unit.

The ultimate would be to somehow rig a screen up to it that supports AirPlay, which has video/display mirroring. Or even better would be a touchscreen in the Nav housing that allows control of the iPhone/iPod using the touchscreen in the Nav rather than using the Iphone.

It would also be awesome if the AppleTV interface when playing back music could be replicated - or even rig an AppleTV to run in the car with a 7" touchscreen and an adhoc wifi network to connect the Iphone and ATV?