Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Can You Tell If The Mileage Is Not Correct?

how can you tell if the mileage is not correct? I just purchased a lexus is 2006 from a reputable dealership. The car had 23k miles on it, the tires were not the original..they are Cooper tires ...this threw up a flag but...any way to tell if the mileage has been tampered with?

Edited by ColinBarber

Check it's mot history via govt web site, check with any dealers who have stamped the service book, if no book ring Lexus.

Trace previous owner in book and ring them.

how can you tell if the mileage is not correct? I just purchased a lexus is 2006 from a reputable dealership. The car had 23k miles on it, the tires were not the original..they are Cooper tires ...this threw up a flag but...any way to tell if the mileage has been tampered with?

When you say IS2006, I hope you don't mean IS200 2006. They stopped early 2005 although the very original dealer could have had yours hanging around in stock.

However, the main point is that if the mileage proves incorrect - this is the dealer's responsibility. He is obliged to make reasonable effort to check the odometer is correct and declare if it isn't - and if you have found incorrect mileage without a load of effort; this is taken as the dealer having failed in his obligations. An overall declaration that the mileage "may not be correct" is not a get-out if reasonable checks show it definitely isn't.

I'm assuming he means he has a 2006 IS series, in which case it will probably be an IS250 or IS220.

But as mentioned above, you can check the milage from the MOT history online.

I think it would raise my suspicions if such a low mileage car wasn't accompanied by a big pile of old MOTs & service documents which could support the mileage.

Of course, I would be cynical if I thought a respected dealer would ever attempt to pull a fast one. That has just never happened.................

Maybe the poster just wanted to post a link to an auction they have for sale?? Posted about an IS200, which shoudl be an IS250, yet lists having a GS300 in their profile and not located in the uk. Or am I just too suspicious??

Maybe the poster just wanted to post a link to an auction they have for sale?? Posted about an IS200, which shoudl be an IS250, yet lists having a GS300 in their profile and not located in the uk. Or am I just too suspicious??

I did wonder why he linked to a specific product for adjusting the mileage, I think we've been had. lol Probably just a guy trying to advertise a tool that will illegally adjust mileage without directly saying it.