Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just had a browse on the web and found that in the US the MK3 GS series has both inner and outer clusters used for tail lights, where as on my 450h its only the outer's that have the tail lights and inners used for fog lights! I saw another 450h the other day and that was the same as mine!

Now I've just checked the EPC for the inner cluster, and the wiring loom appears to have 2 bulb connectors with bulbs listed for the UK version, and only 1 connector and 1 bulb listed for US version (as they don't need fog lights). Now the bulb on the US version is the same part number and wattage/voltage as the 1 listed on the UK version and the the other is different so clearly the fog light bulb.

So what I want to know is, why don't we use both clusters for sidelights? It looks miles better with both illuminated and if we do have the bulb holder do you think it would be possible to get it to work??? :lookaround:

2009-Lexus-GS-450h-Tail-Light.jpg

This seems to be the case across the range, my 1994 LS400 import has bulbs in both of the front indicator units while the UK spec has only bulbs in the front facing sections. My rear lights have 6 sidelight sections as opposed to one each side on UK spec cars.

If the bulb holder is a standard type it should be possible to fit the extra light providing doing so does not effect an light out warning system. Chances are the required wiring loom will be present already probably neatly taped up.

Mk2's are the same, with the bulb holder for dual filement bulbs are already fitted. I altered the wiring to use the second filement from the side lights, so would imagine the mk3 would be do-able too.

Hmm I may have to have a look into this and see if its something that can be done, I mean surely if the bulb holder is there, then it theoretically should be live and be able to use it! Obviously to save money the wiring looms on certain parts of the cars are all the same just some multi plugs are taped up for certain markets or for vehicles with/without certain parts.

I wonder why lexus decided against using the extra lighting in the UK/Europe???

I'm pretty sure the mk2 wires weren't already connected. i.e. There was a plug, but nowt plugged into it. Perhaps there is a different sub-loom for the boot lid for the feed from the number plate lamps?? Maybe you will luck out with the mk3 and it is already there. The yanks and Canadians have /no fogs etc, so the lighting is quite different.

European GSs (and other Lexus?) have rear foglights whereas US ones don't (common over there). So EU GSs had had half of their tail lights 'sacrificed' to make way for the foglights. Look closely and you'll see that the inner section of the cluster comprises half foglight and half fake 'LED strips' to sort of match the outer section of the cluster. Looks crap compared to the US version IMHO. A Russian guy on Clublexus swapped his EU lights for US ones easily enough - cost in the region of £200 IIRC.

edit: here's the thread: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-third-generation/549841-rear-lamps-mod-for-non-us-lexus-gs.html

The possibility is raised that the GS was never intended for the EU market and its launch was a last minute decision, hence dodgy foglights.

Thanks for taking the wind from my sails grizzly man :msn-cry:

Unfortunately your right, just had a double check of my clusters and they look crap in comparison!! May still take a look and see if there is a bulb holder in the light anyway and if there is, to get a bulb and try it! As they say, 2 chances! :P

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links