Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Slow?

Wow - some of u guys are really dillusional!!! Quite scary that u would.really believe an is300 could even think about taking on an m5 or c4s. Its simply not in the same class the difference is like touring cars and f1!

Wow - some of u guys are really dillusional!!! Quite scary that u would.really believe an is300 could even think about taking on an m5 or c4s. Its simply not in the same class the difference is like touring cars and f1!

I enjoy laughing at how the OP deludes himself into believing that the other drivers are actually giving the beans lol. when really they are only teasing :)

Also bit shocking how he convinces himself that the Lexus has magical gearing that is faster after 70MPH than a Porsche and yet doesn't same capable of realising that the Porsche driver is a little more sensible and safe by backing off at 70!!

a bit strange why all the negative comments are coming from IS200 drivers no disrespect guys but the 300 is a totally different car engine wise and the 1G-FE in the 200 cannot be compared performance wise even if you supercharge the 200 engine becuase it wasnt built for that. the gearbox alone is an A650E which is the same used in LS/GS430 and those cars have over 400NM of torque and the box can handle upto 325 rear wheel horse power so trust me guys after 70mph this engine and gearbox doesnt stop pulling because 210bhp and 288NM in the IS300 is nothing for it so it maxes out top speed quickly and easily. shame not a lot of people drive the 300 that have actually raced in one to back me up! Please take the time to school yourselfs on a 2JZ.

I don't actually like quoting figures but here goes anyway

Hp o-60 torque weight

is300 211 7.9 288 NM 1500kg

E60 m5 500 4.9 520 NM 1800kg

Just looking at those figures should tell you something.

oh and for all of us out there that have never heard of the motor industries biggest kept secret - power to weight ratios are

Is300 141:1 ton

M5 278:1ton

Lol even if the m5 was a bank down and running on just 5 cylinders it would have more horses and near identical ptw

As I said - dillusional

My old e39 523I was only a 170HP 2.5ltr and it was only 0.3 second slower to 60 than an is 300 - I certainly never called it a serious ly quick car. did 6mpg more too - perhaps I need to start looking at the beamers again!

But just think how much better it would be with a proper 6 speed and a clutch pedal.... I did have an IS300 a few years ago when I had an op on my back and I needed a car that I could drive with hand controls but I sold it and went back to my trusty 200 as soon as I could use my legs properly again..... Nice car, If I got my hands on another one I may be tempted to see if I could fit a manual to it... That would be fun but still not up to competing with an M5 but I would prefer it to an M5....

guess the only way to find out is to get my car on a dyno and also on a track day against these cars have a mate film it then post it for every one here to see! you guys are missing the point here definately not saying i have the fastest car on the planet all am saying is it holds its own with the BIG boys.. any one lives near bedforshire who knows where i can attend a track day and have my car dynoed?

I don't actually like quoting figures but here goes anyway

Hp o-60 torque weight

is300 211 7.9 288 NM 1500kg

E60 m5 500 4.9 520 NM 1800kg

Just looking at those figures should tell you something.

oh and for all of us out there that have never heard of the motor industries biggest kept secret - power to weight ratios are

Is300 141:1 ton

M5 278:1ton

Lol even if the m5 was a bank down and running on just 5 cylinders it would have more horses and near identical ptw

As I said - dillusional

My old e39 523I was only a 170HP 2.5ltr and it was only 0.3 second slower to 60 than an is 300 - I certainly never called it a serious ly quick car. did 6mpg more too - perhaps I need to start looking at the beamers again!

you guys always think more cylinders and bigger bhp is always faster

Lexus LFA 4.8litre

V10 , 1480KG, 552 BHP, 480NM of tourque, 0-60 (3.7sec), power to weight ratio 373bhp per ton

Nissan GTR 3.8litre

V6 , 1730KG, 523 BHP, 612NM of tourque, 0-60(2.9 sec) power to weight ratio 302bhp per ton

as you can see it doesnt really matter if an engine has 4 more cylinders over another or more bhp per tone over another if the car has an excellent gearing it can keep up.

LFA has a V10 and 71bhp more power to weight ratio wise compared to the GTR but only won by a thousand of a second.

M5 has a V10 and 133bhp more power to weight ratio wise compared to an IS300 so you can now start getting the picture if i say IS300 with its good gearing is not far off performance wise

LFA 11.8sec GTR 11.9 sec

I think a section needs to be started with the most entertaining topics in ever. LOL This would be very near the top. I can just imagine you two sat at your pc screens getting redder and redder with frustration and ready to put your fists through them! Its made me smile anyway :phone: :phone:

I think a section needs to be started with the most entertaining topics in ever. LOL This would be very near the top. I can just imagine you two sat at your pc screens getting redder and redder with frustration and ready to put your fists through them! Its made me smile anyway :phone: :phone:

LOL I couldn't agree more :)

I always win races against pensioners who have cars more powerful than mine so obviously my car has magic gears and a super secret super powerful engine.

next thing Noby will be telling us that his Super300 is faster than an LFA after 70MPH.

Noby just so you know not everyone wants to race you! have you considered that you could be the only one racing!? therefore the only one winning.

also note I've driven a 300 they are pretty quick but I concur with the masses, I felt the silky smooth auto was more of a lazy cruiser than a racer

As I said I don't usually write figures - guess I've fallen foul of my own rules there!

Rule number 1 - don't quote figures.

Top trumps was great - be surprised if the members banging on about is300's being rocket shops will remember them though as I'm assuming they're about 18

An just for the record my dicks bigger than yours too!

Dream on sonny if you believe the IS300 has the better of an M5. The IS-F spanks an IS300, but just about holds its own with an M3, let alone an M5.

I can say without a shadow of a doubt, that the M5 driver must've had no legs and was pressing the accelerator with his limp d*ck. The M5 would kill an is300, without any effort at all. My GS430 will leave an is300 for dust in a straight line, and I would still get murdered by an M5.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a bit old, but I've just seen it! I would like to add my thoughts, I bought a 04 is300 for the wife in January this year, and for smoothness and refinement it can't be beat, however for power and acceleration it's very disappointing, it feels like a 2.0 litre in regards to acceleration, How people can think it is better than an m5 beats me, and I am not an BMW fan!

it might be a contender if the engine and tranny are blueprinted (read heavily modified to 2jz-gte tuned spec) ... but you'd know that immediately the only way to know for sure is to get it on a roller and get the bhp at the crank and wheels proven.

the car will need about 290 bhp at the wheels to keep up ( that is incl the weight of the standard is300)

other then that there is no way an IS300 2jz-ge in standard trim will leave an M5 for dead or keep up if the M5 driver is going for it.

Changes are the M5 driver thought: this is fast enough, this is no match at all.

I dont want to resurrect this thread from the dead. but I never said my IS300 left the M5 for dead. I said I managed to hang on in front of him on the M1 sure there were obstacles (other cars) on the road so we were both being extra carefull not to put anyone in danger. on a clear open road the IS300 in stock will stand no chance unless its boosted (turbo'd) . all I meant was for a claimed 500bhp vehicle i was expecting to be blown away from mid range acceleration but the IS held it all the way to 135mph and we both backed out. so for sure a stock 2JZ stands no chance from say a 0 -60 start but mid range acceleration the M5 wasnt far away from sight.

watch videos of stock M5's being dynoyed and you will see they put out between 360 to 440 bhp again M5 makes a maximum of 520NM of torque at a high 6100rpm and IS300 makes around 290NM at a low 3800rpm so if we both accelerate from 60mph'ish which was were we roughly started,the IS300 will be spining at around 2500rpm were as M5 being a 5 liter will probably be spining around 1750rpm at that cruising speed, M5 would have roughly the same amount of tourque at the wheels as IS300 around those mid range speeds of 60mph but will continue to make torque all the way to 6100rpm were it peaks. hence i was able to keep up from that speed of acceleration when we both strated. but I am under know illlusion to definately think a 3 litre will kick a 5 litres with 4 more cylinders azz when it comes to accelaration so at some point I knew IS300 will run out of puff if we still carried on but we were both sensible to slow down and not to endanger anyone else on the road.

hope this clears things up guys..

Indeed this those clears things up! Both running at cruising speed and just speeding up will have that effect.

thought you'd actually tried to race against him, at those revs and cruising speeds you'll notice the IS300 is more capable then you'd think (reminds me of the vr6 engine from VW not big on BHP but big torque range that starts early and goes al the way up until 5400 rpm, holds it's own against cars that you'd think will eat it alive)

Indeed this those clears things up! Both running at cruising speed and just speeding up will have that effect.

thought you'd actually tried to race against him, at those revs and cruising speeds you'll notice the IS300 is more capable then you'd think (reminds me of the vr6 engine from VW not big on BHP but big torque range that starts early and goes al the way up until 5400 rpm, holds it's own against cars that you'd think will eat it alive)

At last someone who understands characteristics of an engine has backed me up on this people alwyas think 0 - 60 mph and bigger bhp is all that is important. yes they are important to some extent but not always. the VVTi on Lexus's is always on (continues) i.e. the engine is always on 'cam' which can allow it to make around 80% of the engines torque at a low 1500rpm and can hold it all the way to 6000rpm before it drops due to flat tourque curve so although 0 - 60 or top speed is not IS300's great strength, it can hold it with BIG engined cars that should have slaughtered it on mid range cus tourque come in early and it holds without dropping..thanks North

your welcome Noby76, it is a whole different thing when the cars are already at cruising speed lots of people forget that an 8 cilinder cruizes at around 1500 rpm and before there torque kicks in is at least at around 3000 rpm. And that is where the IS300 strenght lies torque is mostly available across the rev range unlike those v8 BHP monsters (that are heavier 2)

one of the reasons why some races have a running start ;)

your welcome Noby76, it is a whole different thing when the cars are already at cruising speed lots of people forget that an 8 cilinder cruizes at around 1500 rpm and before there torque kicks in is at least at around 3000 rpm. And that is where the IS300 strenght lies torque is mostly available across the rev range unlike those v8 BHP monsters (that are heavier 2)

one of the reasons why some races have a running start ;)

Thats right...I think the engine was designed with mid range in mind rather than 0 - 60 speed lexus says 8.2 secs but i have seen people recording 6.8secs . watch any races between a 2JZ powered car be it Supra, GS300 or IS300 and you will notice they are lazy starters but ounce they hit mid range they can hold that tourque all the way. you see it more in the Supra's 2JZ-GTE because they have boost aswell.. its all down to valve timing, transmission gearing, ignition timing, ECU spec and other factors!! secret lies in an engines ability to hold torque without droping from very low to high rpm and if an engine is designed or can do this, it can comfortably rub shoulders with bigger capacities!!

off topic: but anyone ever wondered why Honda S2000 and the Type R record 6 sec to 60mph and can do 150mph from a 2 litre? its all down to the engines ability to make small torque but hold it even in high revs without dropping with aid of thier VTEC cam switching capability and transmission gearing...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links