Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As per the title, what is the cheapest/easiest/best way to play Mp3 music through the standard mk4 stereo/sat nav system?

Previously I've always replaced standard gear with something more modern, but as the LS has a 6 cd facility, I'll just convert to wav files if mp3 capability is too costly.

I have no portable mp3 player at the moment.

You can also buy kits that allow you to plug an mp3 player directly into your car's radio system, via a small modulator into the antenna socket. So basically you tune your radio to the correct frequency. Not the same as those mp3 FM transmitter kits though, these are connected via a cable.

• 2 weeks later...

Having tried a whole bunch of different cassette types, and the modulators in a Lexus and Omega, I would say avoid the modulator types, a bit hissy, and subject to all sorts of interference.

The best cassette one have found (and works in Hondas, Vauxhall, Lexus - so probably anything) is the one from Maplin.

Try this link http://www.maplin.co.uk/headphone-to-cassette-adaptor-27793

It is quite, does not confuse the auto-reverse, etc.

Also the cassette systems give much better bass and top end treble, so for £13 worth a go.

Avoid Sony adaptors, always had problems with them.

Having tried a whole bunch of different cassette types, and the modulators in a Lexus and Omega, I would say avoid the modulator types, a bit hissy, and subject to all sorts of interference.

The best cassette one have found (and works in Hondas, Vauxhall, Lexus - so probably anything) is the one from Maplin.

Try this link http://www.maplin.co...e-adaptor-27793

It is quite, does not confuse the auto-reverse, etc.

Also the cassette systems give much better bass and top end treble, so for £13 worth a go.

Avoid Sony adaptors, always had problems with them.

Hi Guys,

I can vouch for this item from Maplins, I have one and it is, by far, the best way I have found of playing MP3s through the standard stereo.

I use my phone as the player (HTC Sensation) and it is as clear as a bell with no hissing.

Hope this helps.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to finish off this thread, I bought a Sony Walkman 8GB from amazon, and the Maplins cassette adaptor linked above.

The sound quality of the Sony through the earphones is very good, and the Battery life (rechargeable) is excellent, so no need to connect to power in the car.

I've only tried it for about 30 mins in the car, but I'm very happy with the sound through the standard system so far.

Thanks again to those who posted, I doubt very much I'd have gone for the cassette adaptor otherwise, as I'd always assumed they were rubbish.

It helps that the old Lexus cassette player is a Nakamichi - Absolutely the top manufacturer of tape decks.

Before I bought the adaptor, I had to borrow a cassette from a neighbour to test the cassette deck, as I've slung all mine out.

I must admit, even though it was a kids story tape, the sound quality was indeed excellent, now I know why.

Having just used the set up on a 250 mile trip, I'm still very happy with it.

The car itself continues to impress as an ideal motorway muncher with surprising economy for it's size, has to be one of the best cars I've owned, and I've had over a hundred (plenty of heaps among them :D ).

hi

just wanted to add i had one of these bush adaptors lying around (which i bought and used in my Mark 2 Carina - those were the days) and after reading the thread i thought of giving it a try with my nokia phone - result was very good sound quality - no hiss at all and whats more this setup can be used as a phone handsfree kit aswell as the phone automatically mutes.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links