Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Won't Start! Battery Drain Problem?

I managed to find my parasitic drain which makes my 12v Battery drained after just a few days of non driving. Will post a video up soon but during my investigation and research I found a Bluetooth Battery monitor which connect to your phone. The app can monitor Battery voltage and keeps a log and update you on your phone, very handy for monitor voltage drop over time or if your alternator is charging your Battery while driving etc. 

It is no point putting in a good Battery and not fix the problem, if it drains and left low voltage it will get sulfation and not hold charge after. Will post a YouTube video on checking parasitic Battery drain and the Battery monitor soon. 

https://amzn.to/37M9k1c   £29.99 prime next day from amazon.    Cheaper on eBay and under other brand but takes longer delivery 

• 10 months later...

I have been having a similar problem with a 2010 IS220D for a few years now.

If I leave the heater fan on and turn off the ignition, the heater fan keeps running, so there must be a short somewhere.

Even if I turn off the heater fan before turning off the ignition, the Battery will drain overnight.

This only seems to happen in cold weather each winter when there is a lot of snow or rain. 

I can start on a jump start however it means I have to remember to park on a hill if I am leaving the car for a few hours.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Possibly water shorting out a connection somewhere due to the cold damp snowy weather?

3 hours ago, peterpan1709 said:

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Without a crystal ball? I doubt it  :laughing:

Seriously though, it could be any one of a hundred things. You need to do some methodical, logical, diagnostics and fault-finding or, if you haven't got the necessary tools or skills, take it to a proper auto electrician - not a general mechanics garage but a time-served and qualified auto electrician.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

Without a crystal ball? I doubt it  :laughing:

Seriously though, it could be any one of a hundred things. You need to do some methodical, logical, diagnostics and fault-finding or, if you haven't got the necessary tools or skills, take it to a proper auto electrician - not a general mechanics garage but a time-served and qualified auto electrician.

Just wondering if it is a known problem, as it has been happening since the car was 2 years old, and happens every few years or so.

Each time it happens I have to leave the car away to get fixed. 

I think the last auto electrician mentioned water was getting trapped in a module and shorting out - possibly a heater/blower controller in the passenger footwell area that isn't easy to access?