Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Questions - Getting Into The Car And Front Parking Sensors

shampoo

Hi. I've had my new CT200h since Friday and am really enjoying driving it.

I have the SE-L model with Sat Nav and DAB extras.

I have a couple of questions and would be grateful for any answers!

(1) I see in the manual (and another post on this site) that I should be able to unlock the car with the key in my pocket by gripping the door handle, and then lock it again by touching the lock sensor - do all the cars have this function as I've tried and tried but nothing seems to happen - could it be an optional extra that I haven't got. It's a bit annoying that I have to get the key out of my pocket to unlock the car, then put it back again while I drive, then take it out again to lock afterwards so I hope it's just me being thick!

(2) The reverse parking sensors work fine but I've not managed to get the forward parking sensors to sound yet (and I am nervous about getting close to something just to try it!) When I collected the car the dealer said that the sensors were on by default, but I think this was wrong as the manual says that there should be a green light on and there wasn't. I've pressed the button and the green light is on... is there anything else which would dictate when the sensors would be operational (eg do you have to be going at a certain speed?)

Thanks for any advice in advance!!!

Hi,

I can hopefully answer your first question but not your second as I do not have parking sensors myself.

The feature you are referring to is what Lexus call smart entry as opposed to remote keyless entry (where you have to press a button on the key fob).

When i test drove an SE-L with Nav last August it did have smart entry and i was told by the sales person that it was part of the Nav package, however I believe that is not the case with the current SE-L model. It seems that only the Premier has smart entry. My F-Sport does not have it either.

One way you can tell for sure will be to look at your door handle and see if there is a small oval shaped indentation (about the size of a Tic-Tac) on the top surface of the handle above the keyhole. If there is you have smart entry, if not you don't.

I actually wanted smart entry myself at first, but now I'm quite happy without it, I can just jump out of the car, put my hand in my pocket and lock it as I walk away as opposed to stopping to touch a small sensor on the handle.

Keep enjoying the car!

Matt

Hi,

I can hopefully answer your first question but not your second as I do not have parking sensors myself.

The feature you are referring to is what Lexus call smart entry as opposed to remote keyless entry (where you have to press a button on the key fob).

When i test drove an SE-L with Nav last August it did have smart entry and i was told by the sales person that it was part of the Nav package, however I believe that is not the case with the current SE-L model. It seems that only the Premier has smart entry. My F-Sport does not have it either.

One way you can tell for sure will be to look at your door handle and see if there is a small oval shaped indentation (about the size of a Tic-Tac) on the top surface of the handle above the keyhole. If there is you have smart entry, if not you don't.

I actually wanted smart entry myself at first, but now I'm quite happy without it, I can just jump out of the car, put my hand in my pocket and lock it as I walk away as opposed to stopping to touch a small sensor on the handle.

Keep enjoying the car!

Matt

to test your sensors You could put the car into drive and just get someone to stand close to the front of you car to see if they are working or not, as I have a GS things may be different but I can switch them on and off, and as you say there is a green light that comes on when they are activated

If the sensors are the same as the IS then it means the front ones are next to useless. The IS only has 2 front sensors (1 on each corner) and according to the manual the maximum distance they detect object is 18". Not sure how slowly you have to be crawling along to make a maximum detection range of 18" worthwhile but hey... :)

Thanks all for the replies - I don't have the indentation so I guess I'll have to keep using the key.

I'll try the "get someone to walk next to the sensor" test!

Next I need to work out how the reverse parking guidance thingy works... this car is so much fun and if it means I can parallel park, then that's a bonus!

picture of mine with smart entry detent on door handle

the front sensors do work ,they scared the hell out of me when they went off with nobody there

then a dog walked out in front of me

not the same range as the rear but they do work

brian

post-41062-0-98567900-1332532847.jpg

I have a 61 Reg CT and I have smart Entry on mine, the front sensors are a bit crap, on my previous GS they were quite good but were sometimes caught out by sensors in the road setting them off and snow builds up on them when your driving and drives you crazy. I've only heard mine work once when someone walked past the car while i was at lights.

I also miss not being able to open the back doors first with smart entry, great when you got a sleeping toddler. overall im enjoying the CT :)

Think Smart Entry is standard on at least SE-L, my 2011 model SE-L (with Nav) has the Smart Entry system. The telltale is that indentation on the door handle in the piccy above, that's what you tap to lock the doors.

However ... it could well have been disabled, I've actually disabled mine because the alarm was going off when it shouldn't have. (I'm suspecting that's due to the car being excessively wet). That's something that can be customised via the DISP button on the steering wheel. To be honest, I've not missed Smart Entry since disabling it and I've happily not had to stop the alarm going off at 11.30 pm again :msn-oh: .

Question 2 - the light to tell you Parking Sensors are active is a green P with a trio of arcs to its bottom right which made me go "wth is that ?" when driving the car back from Cheltenham :innocent: . It's on the right hand side of the instrument panel above the MFD and the switch for it is quite low down to your right, under the wheel. More info on P265 (ch2-4) of the 2011 UK manual but beware, the picture for where the switch is for a LHD car ...

The Parking sensors are ok but you have to be aware that they have an intentionally limited field of view. They work for stopping me putting the nose into the bushes that border our parking spaces but wouldn't stop you tripping over a low box directly in front of the car. Similarly, they don't account for the rear wheels turning inside the front, just like a normal car you could miss something on the front but scrape the side. I've also them go off when people have walked in front of the car.

PS While I have the manual out, Smart Entry is at ch1-3.

Hi. I've had my new CT200h since Friday and am really enjoying driving it.

I have the SE-L model with Sat Nav and DAB extras.

I have a couple of questions and would be grateful for any answers!

(1) I see in the manual (and another post on this site) that I should be able to unlock the car with the key in my pocket by gripping the door handle, and then lock it again by touching the lock sensor - do all the cars have this function as I've tried and tried but nothing seems to happen - could it be an optional extra that I haven't got. It's a bit annoying that I have to get the key out of my pocket to unlock the car, then put it back again while I drive, then take it out again to lock afterwards so I hope it's just me being thick!

I bought the SE L last June soon after they went on sale. Although I had studied the spec, I found mine had some unexpected extras. The salesman told me the first few off the production line had been incorrectly spec'd. I think the extras I got were : Smart key locking, photochromatic rear view mirror and electric door mirrors.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My F-Sport does not have it either.

F-Sport = no smart entry.

In return though, the wing mirrors do auto-fold in when you lock it via the remote fob :outforcount:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links