Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

talking to a mate in the pub last night about teh virtues of running an aged LS.

He argued that they would be expensive if the engine or gearbox went.

I told him that they are bullet proof and that i had never heard of one going.

Needless to say he didnt beleive me.

So....whne was he last time you heard of an LS breaking an engine or auto box?

Don't think I've ever heard of one breaking. In fact the engines are sought out by the build your own looney fast vehicle brigade!

It would I would suggest, be easier to find all the non ls cars with an ls engine in than to find a broken one in an actual ls !

If that doesn't say something about how good the engine is I don't know what does.

talking to a mate in the pub last night about teh virtues of running an aged LS.

He argued that they would be expensive if the engine or gearbox went.

I told him that they are bullet proof and that i had never heard of one going.

Needless to say he didnt beleive me.

So....whne was he last time you heard of an LS breaking an engine or auto box?

How very dare you. As if.

Mike

Hmm Sir John, if you remember my earlier posts from way back when, I've got a mk4 lpg, 185000 miles, shabby, with a dodgy solenoid meaning I don't get 5th gear. And lots of other things wrong but it still got me to Sunderland and back last week and Swansea and back this week from the Midlands.....currently getting a quote to get it fixed (sharp intake of breath), looking for a breakers replacement, or simply might not bother!

Personally, I wouldn't class a faulty solenoid as gearbox failure. Gearbox failure to me is when the internals are shot and needs a complete rebuild or completely replaced. I haven't heard of that happening.......yet.

I have never heared of an engine or box going , I now the dealers in the states have ls 400s going in for service with over 800,000 miles on them. I think its the same box in the land cruiser so its got to be tough. Also a Lexus mechanic I trained to drive a truck told me he had never known of an ls 400 engine going pop.

There have been a couple of instances of LS430 gearboxes being destroyed by the transmission intercooler failing (which I think lets water into the gearbox)-it may not be the actual gearbox itself that initially failed but the end result is still the same-a knackered gearbox??

There have been a couple of instances of LS430 gearboxes being destroyed by the transmission intercooler failing (which I think lets water into the gearbox)-it may not be the actual gearbox itself that initially failed but the end result is still the same-a knackered gearbox??

Mercedes suffered a similar problem, glycol contamination in their W211 cars. Except it wasn't the gearbox that was destroyed, it was the torque converter. Usually reveals itself as a thrumming sound.

Mercedes suffered a similar problem, glycol contamination in their W211 cars. Except it wasn't the gearbox that was destroyed, it was the torque converter. Usually reveals itself as a thrumming sound.

I had to replace boxes in both my Grand Cherokee V8 and Merc W124 E300 Loads of dosh.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links