Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I don't know why I never posted this before, so here goes.

Last June I bought my current Mk2 LS, the previous owner had installed a Xenon daylight blue light kit, I think he said it cost around £40 when he put it in. I had never driven with Xenon before & thought maybe his enthusiasm for them against was a bit over the top.

Now I have had a winter with them & I can't recommend the changeover high enough, the first time I used them as dark nights came in it made me think just how dangerous the normal lights are. They are above & beyond top class excellent & made me realize that on the normal lights had sometimes been under stress due to poor lighting vision without realizing it, the daylight effect is phenomominal in comparison to normal, I now consider that normal headlights are quite dangerous.

So there it all is IMO based on both experiences, I am not at all mechanicaly minded so all I know about the kit is that it simply plugs in somewhere, I dont know, i.e. no idea, if the bulb houseing has to be changed or not but if anyone wants go give 'em a try I'd say just go for it, it brings a whole new positive experience of after dark driveing & for me made me realize how much stress I never noticed came with when driving with normal headlights.

I don't know why I never posted this before, so here goes.

Last June I bought my current Mk2 LS, the previous owner had installed a Xenon daylight blue light kit, I think he said it cost around £40 when he put it in. I had never driven with Xenon before & thought maybe his enthusiasm for them against was a bit over the top.

Now I have had a winter with them & I can't recommend the changeover high enough, the first time I used them as dark nights came in it made me think just how dangerous the normal lights are. They are above & beyond top class excellent & made me realize that on the normal lights had sometimes been under stress due to poor lighting vision without realizing it, the daylight effect is phenomominal in comparison to normal, I now consider that normal headlights are quite dangerous.

So there it all is IMO based on both experiences, I am not at all mechanicaly minded so all I know about the kit is that it simply plugs in somewhere, I dont know, i.e. no idea, if the bulb houseing has to be changed or not but if anyone wants go give 'em a try I'd say just go for it, it brings a whole new positive experience of after dark driveing & for me made me realize how much stress I never noticed came with when driving with normal headlights.

Might want to bear in mind that under current regulations, all non factory fitted HID/xenon kits are a MOT failure

Rudy wrote - Might want to bear in mind that under current regulations, all non factory fitted HID/xenon kits are a MOT failure
No Rudy, thats incorrect info, I called in at my local MOT station and asked them and they say non factory Xenon kits are fine for the MOT so long as they conform to the MOT lighting aligment which all cars are subject to on the MOT inspection.

xeon lights will be fine if pre-aligned

I am fairly sure HID needs to have a few things , namely a cleaning mechanism and level/height adjusting system.

but i wouldnt worry , cant see any garage bothering you about it.

If these are HiD bulbs in a standard reflector headlight, you should remove them. You may be able to see better, but as your headlamps are scattering light everywhere (unlike proper projector units) you're blinding everyone around you.

Also, new MOT rules:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1fj72RCEeUghutT-V6D3eApC0Q_DAUb0enl5Spa8R75Wyb59aj1OTOxPj6JgY/edit?pli=1

If these are HiD bulbs in a standard reflector headlight, you should remove them. You may be able to see better, but as your headlamps are scattering light everywhere (unlike proper projector units) you're blinding everyone around you.

Also, new MOT rules:

https://docs.google....6JgY/edit?pli=1

That explains why we are blinded so much these days its made even worse if the dummy that's driving the blinding head lights insists on having their fog lights on and you can see the horizon which is 16 miles away.

Mike

I know what you mean Mike as I primarily drive at night and the halfwits you describe are an increasing problem around Warrington.

I once accidently left my fog lights on after a foggy morning and a member of our local constabulary jumped me and preceded to give me a lecture about leaving them on. Where are they when all the Chavs are tearing about at night looking like Blackpool illuminations!

For those who were/are interested in Xenon & the superior blue light (daylight) who might have been put off the gloom, doom & end of the world only posts above.

There are lots of non HID Xenon options, the HID have NO filament, there are lots of Xenon maybe with Hallgen mix, which DO have filaments & they are perectly legal under the MOT regulations without modifications to the lamps. Philips do quite a range including their blue (daylight is blue) range, the Osram night breakers plus are another with good write ups.

I guess the motto is: 'Beware the prophets of doom for they cannot see the light' .

I agree the correctly designed and fitted bulbs like the osrams mentioned above are fine. However I believe the "doom merchants" who I expect I'm included in, were talking about after market HID systems.

I often find myself blinded temporarily by these type of lights, hopefully the osrams mentioned before are a happy medium.

It sounds like an absolute nightmare and is not just a case of liking blue colored lights but there appears to be an awful lot of technology and no how needed before you jump into buying these modern type lamps.

Mike

I have been considering the night breakers myself I just wanted to check they are suitable before purchase. By the way I believe Euro car parts have been doing an offer on the night breakers recently.

I have been considering the night breakers myself I just wanted to check they are suitable before purchase. By the way I believe Euro car parts have been doing an offer on the night breakers recently.

I have white lights on mine but its never been a problem MOT wise. They were on there when I bought the car.

I don't get cars flashing me which I think would happen a lot if they were blinding people.

Must ask my garage when I see him next.

mike

In case there is anyone not understanding about these lights the problem is not about how bright they are.

HiD bulbs are longer , sometimes more than an inch longer and therefore do not create the correct pattern in the headlamp unit.

any filimant bulb of a similar physical size , even if it was a million watts would be OK as the light pattern will be in the right place , ie on the road.

In case there is anyone not understanding about these lights the problem is not about how bright they are. HiD bulbs are longer , sometimes more than an inch longer and therefore do not create the correct pattern in the headlamp unit. any filimant bulb of a similar physical size , even if it was a million watts would be OK as the light pattern will be in the right place , ie on the road.

In case anyone is getting confused about the HID which the HID experts keep mentioning and which has taken up about 90% of the post here, maybe you should all start a post for yourselves on HID lights:

THIS post is about useing all car LEGAL Xenon lights. HID lights are only legal in cars which have either self leveling headlights or suspension and a headlight washing system which must be working if spot checked or put in for an MOT, cars such as LS430 and after as wel as many of the other Lexus modles HID would be legal. HID bulbs are non filament bulbs, they work by forming an arc between two electrodes using a high voltage and require a ballast pack and special circuitry.

Now, once more, ALL Xenon flament bulbs are MOT and road legal in ANY CAR, unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer. They literaly simply replace the normal hallogen bulb and to top it all, surprise, surprise they are also light by Xenon gas or sometimes a mixture. AND YET AGAIN AND ON TOPIC - here below is a load of Xenon filament bulbs, I think the one for racing is not normal road legal, then again I doubt all those cars are either.

http://www.care4car....ight_Bulbs.html .

I don't know why you're getting flustered.

I was not 'upset' at you, your first post, No 6, was a straight forward sensible post, I clicked the link and within no more than minute I knew that HID is restricted to vehicles with headlight washers & either self levelling suspension or headlights to get an MOT, that was as simple as it gets.

In contrast, in the first post, Ruud, post 2, claimed a blanket ban on HID, which he either simply made out of fresh air or there are confusing, inaccurate stories going round about Xenon & going off some of the posts here I think that’s the problem. The consequences of spreading such widespread confusion, misunderstandings, unclear waffling & grossly misleading information along a legal theme is that people (Ruud post 2, for one) are giving out the impression that Xenon lighting for cars is illegal at worst or in serious legal doubt at best.

No one ever explained that there were 2 kinds of Xenon lighting for cars, HID & bulb technology, Xenon lighting has been the common term for Xenon since 1950’s, even Bluesman who seems very experienced in car things says: - "It sounds like an absolute nightmare and is not just a case of liking blue coloured lights but there appears to be an awful lot of technology and no how needed before you jump into buying these modern type lamps"- so why are some people making it much more confusing by adding doubt & LACK OF CLARITY as to what’s legal and what’s not?

No, your wrong when you say - ""Xenon lights" is a well-known colloquialism for HiD lighting" – again that’s misleading or your misleading yourself. I have been using a Xenon bulb in my Maglite flashlight for at least this past 2 winters (maybe 3 can't remember), there are billions of Xenon lighting things and only a tiny, tiny amount of them are HID. Xenon lighting was invented in the 1940’s, Osram introduced in 1951 and it’s always been commonly known as Xenon lighting, see the google link for the results of a “xenon lighting” search.

Xenon lighting was invented in the 1940’s and introduced by Osram in the 1950’s, it’s old technology but “xenon lighting” is the common term and has been for 60 decades.

The majority I have heard mention Xenon & the Xenon lighting I have seen in the past on things other than cars mean ANY kind of Xenon lighting and the vast majority of Xenon lights are not HID they are bulbs.

Xenon for cars is more of much, very recent in the context of Xenon lighting & much lesser known (see Bluesman post 11).

I have been using a Xenon bulb in my Maglite flashlight for at least this past 2 winters (maybe 3 can't remember), there are billions of Xenon lighting things and only a tiny, tiny amount of them are HID, on cars probably the most common use of Xenon lighting are bulbs. See the google link for the results of a “xenon lighting” search.

Google search for the common term "Xenon lights"

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=xenon+lights&btnK=Google+Search&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=aa039c87e45fd06d&biw=1280&bih=556

Xenon lighting, first invention points

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_arc_lamp

Bluesman " It sounds like an absolute nightmare and is not just a case of liking blue colored lights but there appears to be an awful lot of technology"

Dave 76.

Blue Xenon lighting is not a gimmick or a trend 'fashion' thing, far from it. What we know as daylight is not what, as some might think, 'white'. Daylight is blue colour hue, daylight blue bulbs were used in photographic studios when it was film technology, normal tungsten lighting gave an orange cast, alternativly and more commonly the film itself was daylight balnced, it was called 'tungsten' film.

Pro film was daylight blue colour temprature balanced at noon daylight, in studios all photographic bulbs for colour film were blue balanced, all photographic flashlights were always noon daylight blue blanced when film technology existed, I don't know about now with digital. A medical condition affects some people known as 'seasonal affective disorder' its brought on by long periods of cloud cover and short winter daylight hours, the brain does not produce enough seratonine and a form of depression sets in. The only known effective treatment is to sit with daylight balanced bulbs for prolongued periods every day, they have a blue daylight balanced cast. The reason for blue in headlight bulbs is because the daylight blue cast gives a much clearer definition to things it illuminates, blue cast headlight bulbs means there is a blue filter which meansyou will loose distance compared to what they call 'white light' but if you compared blue headlight beam on objects you'll find the object detail is clearer. That said, I doubt any of the blue bulbs are actually the correct blue colour cast but maybe better in defining details than what they call 'white light'.

I don't know why you're getting flustered.

I was not 'upset' at you, your first post, No 6, was a straight forward sensible post, I clicked the link and within no more than minute I knew that HID is restricted to vehicles with headlight washers & either self levelling suspension or headlights to get an MOT, that was as simple as it gets.

In contrast, in the first post, Ruud, post 2, claimed a blanket ban on HID, which he either simply made out of fresh air or there are confusing, inaccurate stories going round about Xenon & going off some of the posts here I think that’s the problem. The consequences of spreading such widespread confusion, misunderstandings, unclear waffling & grossly misleading information along a legal theme is that people (Ruud post 2, for one) are giving out the impression that xenon lighting for cars is illegal at worst or in serious legal doubt at best.

No one ever explained that there were 2 kinds of xenon lighting for cars, HID & bulb technology, xenon lighting has been the common term for xenon since 1950’s, even Bluesman who seems very experienced in car things says: - "It sounds like an absolute nightmare and is not just a case of liking blue coloured lights but there appears to be an awful lot of technology and no how needed before you jump into buying these modern type lamps"- so why are some people making it much more confusing by adding doubt & LACK OF CLARITY as to what’s legal and what’s not?

No, your wrong when you say - ""Xenon lights" is a well-known colloquialism for HiD lighting" – again that’s misleading or your misleading yourself. I have been using a xenon bulb in my Maglite flashlight for at least this past 2 winters (maybe 3 can't remember), there are billions of xenon lighting things and only a tiny, tiny amount of them are HID. Xenon lighting was invented in the 1940’s, Osram introduced in 1951 and it’s always been commonly known as xenon lighting, see the google link for the results of a “xenon lighting” search.

Xenon lighting was invented in the 1940’s and introduced by Osram in the 1950’s, it’s old technology but “xenon lighting” is the common term and has been for 60 decades.

The majority I have heard mention xenon & the xenon lighting I have seen in the past on things other than cars mean ANY kind of xenon lighting and the vast majority of xenon lights are not HID they are bulbs.

Xenon for cars is more of much, very recent in the context of xenon lighting & much lesser known (see Bluesman post 11).

I have been using a xenon bulb in my Maglite flashlight for at least this past 2 winters (maybe 3 can't remember), there are billions of xenon lighting things and only a tiny, tiny amount of them are HID, on cars probably the most common use of xenon lighting are bulbs. See the google link for the results of a “xenon lighting” search.

Google search for the common term "xenon lights"

http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=556

Xenon lighting, first invention points

http://en.wikipedia..../Xenon_arc_lamp

Many thanks Dave for that Illuminating ( sorry I just couldn't resist that one) information.

It does however go to show even in these enlightened (sorry again) times with information just a click away just how easy it is to end up with a head full of misinformation even from well intentioned people.

What cant be argued is just how much better this type if lighting is compared to Oil lamps and Candles we used to use.

Mike

these enlightened (sorry again) times with information just a click away

I know, all I did was click the MOT link given and had the answers, I then checked out HID technolgy and had those answers, then there was about 5 days of half truths, guesswork, polar opposities & "I heard in the publy" type responses.

Remember only 10 years ago and the net was being marvelled at as "The Information Superhighway" :eerrrmm:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links