Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Recommendations

Getting my RX400h tomorrow on an 07 plate. It's going to need a couple of new tyres in the next 3 months (screwed the dealer on my p/x and RFL) so can't really get anything else out of him. So are there any recommendations for tyres that you guys can advise?

Hankook Ventus ST are good value if you can find them. I have them on the back of my 400h and they seem fine.

I couldn't get them when I wanted new for the front so fitted Continental Contisportcontact 5. A bit more money but probably a better tyre than the Hankook.

Too early to comment on wear but the car seems quieter than when it had the Bridgestones.

Hankook Ventus ST are good value if you can find them. I have them on the back of my 400h and they seem fine.

I couldn't get them when I wanted new for the front so fitted Continental Contisportcontact 5. A bit more money but probably a better tyre than the Hankook.

Too early to comment on wear but the car seems quieter than when it had the Bridgestones.

I have the Hankook's on mine, I had a set of four put on approx 10k ago and find them really good and great value at £104.00 each fitted.

Hancooks are a budget mainstream tyre, good tyre and good value, the Contis are a premium brand tyre with outstanding performance wet or dry but will cost maybe 50% more....depends how much you value those four little shoe sized contact patches between your car and the ditch! :whistling:

How much did that '07 RX400H cost you? Maybe a few hundred quid more will be a small percentage compared to the outlay.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde might be worth a look and they do make them in the RX400h size - they make some pretty attractive green performance claims re improvement in fuel economy and low road noise. I'm going for a set so will post on performance in due course

I'm trying a Michelin Latitude Tour HP before swapping all my Dunlops to the new type. It seems fine, lots of tread, looks good and was cheaper than the Dunlop Sport SP270's.

I believe it is an all season tyre so it might be ok in the winter too. Cost me £160.

Also I got the garage to re do my tracking which Lexus "did" twice but both times it was still wearing the outer edges badly. After the independent garage has done it it seems a lot better and is wearing evenly now (no sign of edge scrubbing after 3000 miles).

• 5 months later...

I've had Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on mine for the last couple of years, very good grip, quiet and a good ride. I am not sure if you can still get them in the size so I might go for the Verde like Hut49 above. I really do not think that the standard Bridgestone is much good.

I have had these on my RX300 with no problem at all, excellent in both dry and wet, but particularly outstanding in wet conditions, which is ideal for the crap UK wet weather we have.

I only found one place that sells them (at the time, Google camskill.co.uk), may be more now. I got them delivered and my local garage fitted them for me.

Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. Depends how much you value you life and your families lives !!!

UNIROYAL RAINSPORT 2 UNIROYAL RAIN SPORT 2- 235/55R18

100V FR TL

• 1 month later...

I'm trying a Michelin Latitude Tour HP before swapping all my Dunlops to the new type. It seems fine, lots of tread, looks good and was cheaper than the Dunlop Sport SP270's.

I believe it is an all season tyre so it might be ok in the winter too. Cost me £160.

Also I got the garage to re do my tracking which Lexus "did" twice but both times it was still wearing the outer edges badly. After the independent garage has done it it seems a lot better and is wearing evenly now (no sign of edge scrubbing after 3000 miles).

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me, I am looking to get teh Dunlops back on the car as previous owner fitted something else. Despite the price, are they any good ?

Regards,

Seb

Hi LOC Members,

I need your help as well.

Is it OK to fit Passenger tyres on the RX350?

I never take it off road.

It is on 17", the manual says 225/60R17 99V.

Now I cannot find 4x4 tyre of this size but I've found Pirelli P7 Cinturato, which have good reviews, but they are passenger car tyres.

On the other hand I've found Dunlops SP Sport 270, they are 4x4 tyres, not so good reviews, but my main concern is that they are H rated.

So two questions here:

1. Can I fit a passanger car tyre if it matches all parameters?

2. I lower speed rating going to affect anything (i.e. insurance)

Any help, advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Seb.

Hi LOC Members,

I need your help as well.

Is it OK to fit Passenger tyres on the RX350?

I never take it off road.

It is on 17", the manual says 225/60R17 99V.

Now I cannot find 4x4 tyre of this size but I've found Pirelli P7 Cinturato, which have good reviews, but they are passenger car tyres.

On the other hand I've found Dunlops SP Sport 270, they are 4x4 tyres, not so good reviews, but my main concern is that they are H rated.

So two questions here:

1. Can I fit a passanger car tyre if it matches all parameters?

2. I lower speed rating going to affect anything (i.e. insurance)

Any help, advice would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Seb.

What are "passenger tyres", hardly a common term

Lowering the speed rating would be illegal, your car should fail to MoT test and your insurer would deem it a modification and could deem your car uninsured.

Speed ratings are matched to the capability of the car not your use of it and cannot be changed upon an owner's whim.

• 2 months later...

Nick / HUT49... what's the verdict on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde?

I am going to need new tyres and have been given the choice between:

BRIDGESTONE RE031 @ £182 each (fitted)

DUNLOP SP270 @ £172 each (fitted)

Continental CONTI PREM 2 @ £147 each (fitted)

TOYO OPEN HT @ £144 each (fitted)

PIRELLI Scorpion Verde @ £135 each (fitted)

KUMHO KL51 @ £131 each (fitted)

FALKEN FK453CC @ £130 each (fitted)

GENERAL UHP @ £129 each (fitted)

I currently run on Champiro tyres that were fitted by previous owner, so would be interested in feedback on top 3 listed above, and also on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde.

Thanks!

Thanks Rad. Any particular reason why you put the Conti first?

Actually I put Bridgestone first, then Conti and also good are the Dunlops. All this based on reviews by different organizations, magazines and users (mostly friends, but also internet). The Potenza's are undisputed, while good point for Conti is the price and some Dunlop's are prone to bubble on the side.

Ended up going for the Dunlop SP270, mainly because I got a good deal on them: £660 fitted, which works out at £165 p. unit.

Very pleased with the result so far. Grip seems very good, and they seem quieter than the previously fitted Champiro.

I am puzzled re. tyre speed rating as the top speed capability of the RX 350 is limited to 112mph. The 'H 'speed rating means the tyre is safe up to 130mph (exceeds the RX350 limited top speed by 18mph). It seems excessive to demand V (149mph) rated tyres to be fitted. Or is there something I am missing here?

Of course, if caught driving at 112mph, the whole argument would be rendered academic as one would not be driving for a very long time!

• 2 weeks later...

I ran Yokohama Geo Landers on my previous 400h, they have a slightly deeper tread than the normal 8mm. They handled great, worked very well off road and in snow and lasted ages! I think I used to pay approx £140 a corner from the Lexus dealership.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

In answer to Sebster80, I think you will find that tyres for 4x4's have re-enforced sidewalls, due to the extra lateral (rolling sideways) forces on the tyre wall (high center of gravity) It's the same on my people carrier, you have to have the re-enforced tyre. If you don't, and you have an accident, a sharp eyed insurance assessor is likely to notice, and we know how that will end . . . :eerrrmm:

When you say "passenger tyre" that will be for a car only, not a 4x4. It doesn't matter if you are going off road or not. There is probably more strain on the sidewall going round a curve at 70 mph than off-roading at walking speed.

Hope this helps.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links