Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking For Rx400H Experiences

hi all,

im currently driving the IS250 SEL

I've always had my eye on the RX400 and i would like to get some proper experiences from owners. i do mostly local trips for my work, so im wondering if i will be saving on petrol. there is a rumour saying the Battery needs changing or problematic when it reaches 6-7 years old, wondering what you think of this. another thing i wanted to know, is the interior more spacious than an IS250? when going to view 2005/6/7 cars, what should i be looking out for?

any other experiences, please respond, no matter how trivial

many thanks

finest :flowers:

I've had my RX400H (an '07 SEL) for 14 months now. At first it felt very odd to drive, compared with my previous car, a Mercedes Coupe, but once I'd got used to sitting up very high and remembering to look down to see other cars instead of up, it was fine.

I now really like it. In fact, when it was serviced the dealer loaned me an IS300, and it felt small, cramped and even a bit slow(!) by comparison.

My RX has been absolutely no trouble at all, and over the year it's averaged 30.5mpg. It definitely does better in 'moderate congestion' - e.g. 25mph trundles round the M25 will often produce 40+mpg, but 75-80 mph motorway stuff produces 28-30mpg.

Overall I'm very glad I bought it!

I got my 2009 RX400h (LE) in December 2011 - Christmas Eve actually - with around 18k on the clock. I wasn't really looking for a Lexus but wanted something spacious, AWD, well-equipped and was unimpressed with the glut of mid-size "SUV" that have swamped the streets with their LED lighting and panoramic sunroofs. I test drove the RX400h and enjoyed the driving position and really liked the knee room / head room in the rear. Having tall grown up children and tall/big friends made the RX400h pretty attractive and I liked the rear cargo area and power tail gate. I didn't like the narrow steering wheel (felt rather 70s) and I hated the anachronistic cassette player sitting in the console (how 80s!) but there was something fascinating about the energy display that totally distracted me from the unappetising noise made by the CVT when you give it the beans. Off the mark, the power delivery from the 3.3L petrol and electric motors, is frankly surprising, but don't look at the energy meter while your foot's pressed on the loud pedal, it will give you a serious pain in the wallet. The handling is not bad for a big, high wagon and I've actually surprised myself how well it hangs on, even when I thought I was pushing it around the limit of traction (but don't have passengers on board when trying this - it's more of a selfish thing). I love creeping around multi-storey car parks on silent electric power and watching people trying to figure out how. I've never had a car that had so little character - I think it's impossible to have a relationship with this car and this, for me, is the most disappointing thing about it. It's comfortable, it works, it's practical, it's very precise and responsive on the road. And then there's the fuel economy (or whatever the inverse is!). The salesman, bless his socks, promised me that I would get at least the 32mpg I was averaging in my trade-in. Perhaps in the summer this might be possible but in the middle of winter, when the petrol engine runs to keep the operating temperature up to the mark, you will be lucky to see 28. Driving the RX400h requires a different technique - it's more of a surge and glide approach and if you don't master it you will see 27mpg. If you invest in this technique you can get 29 in the winter. Now, as the temperature is warmer I can see 29-30 for a mix of local country road and quick squirt bypass driving. I suspect 32 may be possible in the summer, but stick it in the outside lane on a motorway at 80-85 and you will be lucky to see 29mpg average even on a warm (!) March day. So RX400h's economy habit is more aligned with mixed cycle urban driving than high-speed thrash. I doubt I will own this car for more than 1 year and expect to make a thumping loss when I sell it. I made a huge misjudgement when, on an impulse, I bought it. I keep looking for some redeeming quality that will allow us to bond but I now sense that this is not a car with whom you have a relationship. It's just an expensive, un-involving box to get you (and your un-impressed passengers) from A to B.

Had my 2005 RX400h for a couple of months now , i am finally pleased with it after a lot of issues with the preparation of the car from Quicks ( Evans Halshaw ) - advise buying from a lexus dealer , even though probably costs more. 2005 vehicles particulary are subject to a couple of recalls so check that these are done.A few owners report that the 12volt Battery that powers the electrical system ( it does not crank start the engine ) go flat if parked for more than a few days.Mine had a new Battery fitted so i had to reset the idle speed control ( engine kept cutting in too much reducing the mpg ) , sunroof and windows .I also had to have new brakes cables as the handbrake kept seizing on ( common fault on any rx apparently ) I had the wheels refurbished as they were flaking and rust bubbles appeared.Bear in mind lexus parts can be expensive so always phone at least 2 dealers for prices as dealers have quoted me different prices for parts - 1 quote of £720 for a parcel shelf and then another one of £375 ! from a different dealer , labour charges are always over £100 per hour. I doubt many drivers get 35 mpg as lexus quote but they are better on warmer days and in town or B roads as you can run more on electric as long as you have a very light right foot !!!!! Anyway , that's enough about the bad bits , now the good bits - It is pure luxury , quiet effortless driving in style . They have their own unique character that some find bland - it's a bit like marmite , you either love it or hate it . In my opinion i have the best of both worlds - economy if i am careful and speed if i step on the loud pedal.Whilst it may be a 4x4 , i don't suggest you go off-roading , it is basically a tall road based estate with low ground clearance and front wheel drive but electric power is sent to the rear wheels after wheelslip is detected.I previously had a landcruiser but wanted better road comfort rather than off road ability and that is what i now have and i love it. Hope this helps , nigel.

I have now had my car (an 07 SE) for 10 days and I like it...I don't love it yet but I really like it. I think it's the sort of car that grows on you and I can see this happening in my case. I think I can relate to some points from the other owners replying to you. To achieve good MPG there is a definite driving style to adopt, at the moment I am getting 33 in a mix of journeys but it takes some doing. Then again if you own/are going to own one of these cars is 4 or 5 mpg really going to make a difference? It's a "luxury" car not a Mondeo, running costs will of course be always higher!

The only minus point I can think of so far is that although the seats boast a great quality leather and multi-altering functions I don't actually find them particularly comfortable. Maybe I haven't found my ideal position yet.

I did buy from a Lexus main dealer and as such got a full year warranty and great service to boot! It's all about peace of mind.

So, exciting? Not really, but all the other boxes are ticked and I can't see me changing any time soon.

I have now had my car (an 07 SE) for 10 days and I like it...I don't love it yet but I really like it. I think it's the sort of car that grows on you and I can see this happening in my case. I think I can relate to some points from the other owners replying to you. To achieve good MPG there is a definite driving style to adopt, at the moment I am getting 33 in a mix of journeys but it takes some doing. Then again if you own/are going to own one of these cars is 4 or 5 mpg really going to make a difference? It's a "luxury" car not a Mondeo, running costs will of course be always higher!

The only minus point I can think of so far is that although the seats boast a great quality leather and multi-altering functions I don't actually find them particularly comfortable. Maybe I haven't found my ideal position yet.

I did buy from a Lexus main dealer and as such got a full year warranty and great service to boot! It's all about peace of mind.

So, exciting? Not really, but all the other boxes are ticked and I can't see me changing any time soon.

I agree entirely , i was getting 22 mpg with my diesel landcruiser and am now averaging 32 mpg with my RX400h , and petrol is less than diesel , I even got 38 mpg on Sunday on an A road because it was a warm day and i was trying ! But , like you say , i did buy it for the luxury not the mpg .

I did miss the wind deflectors off the landcruiser so i have fitted some to the lexus - it is "discussed" on another thread !!!! Also going to fit some mudflaps , bootliner , rear dog guard and some blanking covers for when i remove the roof rails ( can't see me ever using them )

I have found the 400h to have more of a case for a company ca driver who wats an SUV that also cuts their tax bill; from that POV the car makes some sense. However from a private ownership exprience, the case is more muddled. For example, the weight of the hybrid system (including battery) means that you get only a couple of minutes on Battery life out of it, then it's just dead wieght that the 400h wants to charge. Does it really make sense to lug around a dead wieght in your car just so you can get 'a couple of minutes benefit' from it? Then you have the issue that the 400h is front wheel drive only and the torque steer is horrible; put it into a corner and you can feel the dead weight it carries and the rear wanting to kick out, as the electronic brains tries to prevent the back from fishtailing.

I like the MK2 RX300, absolutely love the 350, but the 400h just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe if the batteries lasted longer and the petrol engine didn't cut in as early as it does then perhaps it would make more sense. I'd take a simpler conventional engine with proper full time AWD over the fancy electronics of the 400h anyday.

I think the Lexus product is very good, dealer service and support matches, but little things let the whole ownership experience down. Why do Lexus still fit tape decks to these luxury vehicles? What is up with the rebadged Toyota key? Why do I have to press a button to fold the mirrors in (why can't I have the option to do it on lock automatically)? The cars are too sterile to drive, soul less is the word I would use which is a shame and Lexus seem to have missed a trick here...

wow!

thanks for all your feedback. im actually dissapointed. i really thought that i'd be "upgrading" if i went for one of these. i was ideally looking for more leg room and boot space. i didn't realise there were so many unhappy drivers! its a good thing i didn't rush out and get one!!

would these comments apply to the RX300?

thanks again

I have had my 2006 RX400h for 2 years, previously had an RX300 Mk2 for 2 years. The 300 was my intro to Lexus and was for me the top of the tree, I could not have wanted more, a luxury car with a superb driving position and a good tow car to boot.

The 400h was a logical step up for me, providing all the qualities of the 300 with the added bonuses of improved fuel economy, much better performance and an even better tow car. Back at the top of the tree.

I have driven the 450h on a few occaisions, very smooth and technically brilliant but I prefer the 400h.

Both of my cars were uterly reliable with service costs reasonable. Yes they use a bit of fuel but if this was a big issue I wouldn't own one in the first place. There are those who say the 400h doesn't make sense, dragging heavy batteries around for a couple of miles of electric propulsion. I would say us 400h owners don't really care very much about such things, we leave all those concerns to those who don't actually own one.

All I say is, have a good test drive, if it suits your needs, buy one from a Lexus dealer and you are unlikely to regret it.

...we leave all those concerns to those who don't actually own one...

Well since you brought it up, others have more sense and are not taken in by slick and glitzy marketing as many others - something about 'money' and 'easily parted' and 'fool' comes to my mind...

I'm sure it makes sense for some, and I gave my opinion after living with one over many weeks and putting it through its paces, and posting that experience in detail on this forum at the time.

Fair do's :flowers: - I just completed 200 miles of mixed urban and single/dual carriageway driving shuttling Easter folk between Horsham-London and back and Horsham-Leatherhead and back, twice and the consumption meter is showing 36.0 as I pulled into the drive. I drove carefully (but not slowly) with aircon off (outside temperature was 11 deg C) and kept an eye on the meter to judge the point where electric power was contributing whenever possible. On the longer sections at 50/60 or 70 I set the cruise control. That's pretty impressive - I found a redeeming feature.

I drove carefully (but not slowly) with aircon off (outside temperature was 11 deg C) and kept an eye on the meter to judge the point where electric power was contributing whenever possible.

And it's welcome to have that experience posted on the forum, some seriously impressive figures there; and my point earlier that it makes sense for some is supported by your exprience. I'm not sure I could drive without AC and have to watch a display that dictates my style of driving to ensure I can eek out the MPG I want.

It would be interesting to know what your real MPG figures are as opposed to the onboard computer reporting consumption as I know from experience that if I am rolling downhill and lift off, the car will tell me I am doing 99.9MPG which for a computer means that it can skewer the overall MPG result reported by the onboard computer.

Glad it works for you, sadly it didn't for me (returned a little around 22/5MPG) and I really wanted it to as I absolutely loved my MK2 RX300 and I am toying with the idea of a 350.

I get 28mpg from mixed driving. That's a tank average from the trip computer though. Careful long distance and I can get 31mpg. I think if you are looking for an economic car then the RX400h isn't it. If you're looking for a large, comfortable, practical, fast car that doesn't have awful fuel consumption then it's a strong contender. I've had mine for a year and love it. I can't see why I'd ever want to change it, but I probably will before the warranty on the hybrid drive ends. Most likely next car is a RX450h :)

• 2 weeks later...
I drove carefully (but not slowly) with aircon off (outside temperature was 11 deg C) and kept an eye on the meter to judge the point where electric power was contributing whenever possible.
And it's welcome to have that experience posted on the forum, some seriously impressive figures there; and my point earlier that it makes sense for some is supported by your exprience. I'm not sure I could drive without AC and have to watch a display that dictates my style of driving to ensure I can eek out the MPG I want. It would be interesting to know what your real MPG figures are as opposed to the onboard computer reporting consumption as I know from experience that if I am rolling downhill and lift off, the car will tell me I am doing 99.9MPG which for a computer means that it can skewer the overall MPG result reported by the onboard computer. ....

So the reality from calculating the actual miles travelled and fuel consumed is that 36mpg average on the display was bo££ocks - on two successive tanksful, where the consumption average per the energy consumption guide was 36.1 and then 33.8, was 29.1 and 27.9mpg respectively. I found that a bit disappointing and resolved never to drive trying to max the average.

• 2 months later...

I have had my 400h Exec Limited Edition for near enough 2 months and love it. There are a few anachronisms such as the 80's tape deck, the old fashionned key, lack of mileage to refill display and others, but I think they contribute to the car's character. If you are after a car that is quiet, powerful, comfortable, reliable, full of gadgets: this is the car for you. I love the stereo system, the power tailgate, the swivelling Xenon headlights, the heated electric seats and even the sunroof. If you are looking for a modern, cheap to run car, you ought to look somewhere else. Having said this, a AWD SUV is never going to be an economical way of motoring and I am not convinced that the german, diesel powered equivalent are any cheaper toi run once you have taken into consideration car tax and cost of diesel. At least you know that with a Lexus, the gadget will keep on going for some years!

For me, the deal clincher was the car's reputation in terms of reliability, and also the excellent customer service from my local dealer. Yet again, my previous car was a Renault... so what do I know!?...