Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Sensors

Goggy

I've had my car a year now. When I bought the car, it was a SE-i. but I wanted parking sensors, so I was thinking about a SE-L. I like leather seats, but my wife is not over keen. I was told I could just have the parking sensors instead, which was what I went for.

I was a bit miffed today. I asked for the distance that my parking sensors go ff to be reduced as they go off about 4 feet from any object and it is simply too far as when i even back out of the drive the sensors are making a right racket. Anyway, my first service was due so i asked them to reduce the distance. I was told on collecting the car that the sennsors are not Lexus ones and they cannot be adjusted. It seems the dealer fitted ones are not the same as the factory fitted ones. Okay, maybe most people would know that, but I didn't. Had I known I would have gone for a SE-L instead, as I am certain they not be as good as Lexus ones. In fact I drove a loan SE-L today and the parking sensors were much better.

I'm not happy, and feel a bit cheated. But I doubt I can do anything about it.

That is very odd indeed. I remember that the IS250/220d/200d models could be retro fitted with front and rear parking sensors if they didn't come with them and were branded a Lexus item. However, I am unsure weather or not they would integrate fully into the cars system with regards to the adjustment of the distance they go off. I am surprised the the Lexus Dealership would fit a non genuine item to a brand new car. I know you are not expecting much, but it may be worth a try pleading your case to them as you have written on here and seeing what they can come up with. Anything is better then nothing and all they can say is no!

I assume from the tone of your write up that it was a Lexus dealer who fitted the non Lexus parts for you. Can you let me know which dealer I should avoid?It hardly seems a fair deal to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that you must have non-standard parking sensors fitted.

If they are fully integrated into the car, there will be a button to the right of the steering wheel; below the wing mirror adjustors to turn them on/off, which also link in to a green dashboard light/associated beep when you turn it on/off.

Distance adjustment for the sensors (if they are official) have only 2 settings anyway. If you have the Sat Nav option, it is set via the Navi menu system. Not too sure about if you don't have nav...

So, name that dealer!

I think that you must have non-standard parking sensors fitted.

If they are fully integrated into the car, there will be a button to the right of the steering wheel; below the wing mirror adjustors to turn them on/off, which also link in to a green dashboard light/associated beep when you turn it on/off.

Distance adjustment for the sensors (if they are official) have only 2 settings anyway. If you have the Sat Nav option, it is set via the Navi menu system. Not too sure about if you don't have nav...

So, name that dealer!

I agree, they are none standard, and the dealer has confirmed this. I am waiting to hear what they are going to do about it, if anything. What annoys me is that I was not told they were none standard, and so they do not do what they say in the handbook. Had I known this I would have gone for the SE-L, in which come factory fitted. As I said, maybe I should have known, or at least asked more, but I think it should have been made clear to me. To make matters worse I stupidly agreed to some extra insurance for tyres, bodywork etc, much against my better judgement and regret that now as the small print makes it almost impossible to benefit from. This cost me nearly £1000, which would have paid for the extra the SE-L would have cost me. Okay, I did agree, so I blame myself to being sold these, but I do feel cheated. I have written to the dealership and await their reply, which will come soon as they have acknowledged my complaint. Can I hold back the name of the dealership for now, until I know what the response is. I will happily name them once the matter is dealt with. If it is.

• 7 months later...

I never did get this resolved. The dealership did try their best to adjust them so they did not go off so far away from objects but failed to get the adjustment right, in fact they didn't go off until just inches away so I had them readjusted back to the way they were before.

Nothing I can do about it now, but a good lesson learnt, either get factory fitted sensors or don't bother at all. I did think they were factory fitted when I bought the car, or at east did the same job, but that was not the case. :(

I've had my car a year now. When I bought the car, it was a SE-i. but I wanted parking sensors, so I was thinking about a SE-L. I like leather seats, but my wife is not over keen. I was told I could just have the parking sensors instead, which was what I went for.

I was a bit miffed today. I asked for the distance that my parking sensors go ff to be reduced as they go off about 4 feet from any object and it is simply too far as when i even back out of the drive the sensors are making a right racket. Anyway, my first service was due so i asked them to reduce the distance. I was told on collecting the car that the sennsors are not Lexus ones and they cannot be adjusted. It seems the dealer fitted ones are not the same as the factory fitted ones. Okay, maybe most people would know that, but I didn't. Had I known I would have gone for a SE-L instead, as I am certain they not be as good as Lexus ones. In fact I drove a loan SE-L today and the parking sensors were much better.

I'm not happy, and feel a bit cheated. But I doubt I can do anything about it.

I have an 'fSport' which was delivered in September 2012. I thought I was getting factory fitted sensors and I paid the price quoted for them. When I took delivery, the very same day, it was clear to me the sensors were not working as they should. They sounded off almost continuously at the slightest thing, including approaching traffic on the opposite side of the road, both front and back, and very loudly. After an hour or two driving, when they were driving me crazy, I went back to the dealer, that same day, and complained. Initially the dealer claimed there was nothing wrong other than them needing the volume reducing. I pointed out that they were constantly sounding and therefore not only a distraction, but useless in a car park, thus defeating the object of having sensors.

The dealer eventually found a deactivation switch for the front sensors (hidden beneath the dashboard) and reconnected the rear ones so that they were only active in reverse gear. I insisted that they move the switch into the bank of switches and reduce the volume. In all I was there several hours on the first day when I took delivery while they got it sorted; not a good experience with a new car! Even after that I was not happy with the sensors. After some bitter argument with the dealership manager, when he admitted the sensors were not factory fitted, and probably fitted by some trainee mechanic who hadn't got a clue, I got my money back (£560 I think), but I am still far from happy with the sensors. The rear ones now sound constantly when I engage reverse and I never switch the front ones on. I will have them removed at the first service.

In summary my view is that they are cheap sensors fitted by the dealer out for a quick profit. Even the tinny sound of them is cheap, not up to Lexus standards and I am embarrassed when I have passengers in the car. I am delighted with the car itself but my dealership experience is shoddy to say the least.

SM

• 1 month later...

Yes, understand that now. But that was not made clear to me when I purchased the car, Had it been made clear I would have bought the SE which did have factory fitted sensors. There is a big difference. As I have said, it's too late now but I do feel this should have been made clear at the time, but it was not. Annoyingly, I could have afforded the extra cost, but went with the cheaper option as I was not bothered about leather. But I hate these sensors, they are so annoying and have spoilt the car for me and my wife who hates them more than me. She now says she would not buy another car with sensors, and yet the factory fitted ones are excellent as I have seen them in use. Such a shame, as otherwise I love this car.

Groggy, that is exactly my complaint. The dealer didn't tell me I was getting inferior dealer (faulty) fitted sensors but they were happy to charge the full brochure factory-fitted price. The sensors have spoilt an otherwise great car and soured my relationship with the dealer.

If I was you I would complain in the strongest terms and also speak to someone at lexus head office. I had an issue with a Saab many years ago that only got resolved when I phoned their head office and gave the details to someone there.

Lexus always get good ratings for customer service and I'm sure that they will want to keep that rep.

Don't give up. I think you were missold.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links