Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Just bought a 57 reg 450h from lexus main dealer 50K miles and would appreciate some clarification from other owners. Firstly I am getting around 30Mpg which is on a commute of 4 miles non motorway and 10 miles motorway. I am driving it very carefully so this is the best possible - is that normal? - I suppose it will do better on longer runs?

Second point is that i hardly ever see the display showing just electric drive - again is that normal

And the final question is that the hybrid Battery indicator has never shown as fully charged on either the large display or the speedo mounted display - it gets up to maybe 90% but never quite full. Only had the car a week and used very little so it maybe that it needs a longer trip than the 14 miles but would appreciate others findings

Many thanks

Simon

Hi, I don’t know much tec stuff about the hybrid system only what I have picked up from the Lexus mechanics, from questions I have asked

I travel mostly short journeys 5/6 mile trips with very little motorway driving and I average 30mpg in a year, so I think yours sounds about right.

Remember the hybrid system will only help your fuel consumption travelling at under 40mph, so don’t expect a big improvement on long motorway trips, you are only using the 3.5ltr engine so you should get around 37/38mpg at 70ish using the cruse control.

The MAIN Battery in your car ( not the hybrid batteries) is like any other car Battery, the engine has to be running to charge it, so if you only travel short distances with, heated seats, lights, radio, HRW, etc your Battery will drain quickly causing the engine to continue running. I have found in the winter my engine sometimes wont stop running even if I sit in stationary traffic because the Battery gets so low with all the electrical equipment I am using, and have in the past given the car a quick belt on the motorway just to get the Battery charged back up. Apparently this is a common issue for people who do short journeys.

The engine also has to keep running when you have the heater on, to heat the water and to pump it round the cooling system, at the start of your journey try using the heated seats to warm you up, and let the car get to normal running temperature before turning on the heating.

So I was told the hybrid charging system works on the same principal as a smart phone Battery, it has a charging cycle, so sometimes the car wont run just on batteries until this charging cycle is complete.

As for the Battery showing 100% full I have never seen mine show that either, again I think it has something to do with this charging cycle.

You have to be very light on the gas peddle to make it run just on batteries, try getting the car up to the speed you want, less than 40mph, take your foot completely of the gas peddle and then very gently put your foot back on the gas peddle until the display shows the Battery turning the wheels, it takes a bit of practice, or you can just forget all about that and just enjoy your car.

I hope that you didn't buy a GS450 for excellent mpg, a brief google before purchase would have given you an indication of mpg, not official guides mind, they are usually off.

Be happy with the economy of 30mph. For a car of this quality, speed and engine size and only a 14 mile commute to work are you really that bothered?

I've found that if your struggling to use Battery only power, you need to accelerate (as wendle says) up to say 30mph, then let off the accelerator and then back on after a sec or two! When you go back on the accelerator try to keep it on or under 2 dashes on the Kwh gauge (2 small marks above the 0 mark) This allows you to keep the engine from running and keeps it running on Battery power (stealth mode as its been affectionately called hehe) =)

Seems like absolutely nothing and quite difficult to master at first, and also makes you feel like a grandad/snail when doing this, but your emissions and fuel free so not so bad! I find it gives an extra challenge to driving which I personally like!

Best I've ever seen out of my 450h is 34.6mpg tank average and that was on a motorway speed journey, on cruise control, 200 miles to Newquay! Pitiful I thought, But then you have to consider it is a 3.5 litre 280+ BHP engine, what do you expect? Better than a similar powered V8 engine could put out I'm sure!

Anyway, I hope that despite your gripes that you are happy with your car! I still love mine a year into ownership :driving:

Cheers

Ben

Simon

Really don't worry about the charge level, they rarely reach full and normally stop 2 notches from the top. I have owned my 450h for a month now and for the first time since ownership it reached Max (the colour turns green on the main screen), I was so shocked to see it I felt like talking a photo:-)! Town driving 29mpg 40mpg on a motorway run. Try that power button, go on I know you want to;-) and then like me try the light foot electric only driving for the rest of the tank to recover your consumption figures!

Kevin

Thank you all for your replies - Good to know that my car is functioning correctly and for the performance on offer can live with the 30mpg. Suspect that will fall drastically now as intend to stop watching the graphic display of the power distribution and enjoy the performance. I don't know why but the car just seems so much better put together and enjoyable than my previous Phaeton or Audi A8 - shame when time comes to sell the depreciation will i assume be savage.