Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cam Belt Incorrectly Timed Or Fitted?

GWilso

I had posted on here a while back but as one problem seems resolved another starts, I had my cam belt changed around 10ks ago pretty much straight away the Battery indicator would dip to a very low level when at idle, it seemed to fix itself and i thought the problem was solved, now however whilst cruising on motorways the MPG gauge jumps around not drastically It just kind of bounces up and down between 40 70mph,

I'm suspecting this might be down to the cam belt change? I would take it back to the garage but surprise surprise it's closed down..... Any help or advise really appreciated, as I say I've done 10k with no real problems,

Also does anyone know can my wife (non insured) pay my car tax at post office if I give her v5 and MOT etc etc or does it need to be me?

Once again I'd really appreciate your thoughts

Gordon

Hi GWilso I wouldnt think the mpg guage moving up and down is to do with the cambelt change as mine does it aswell when say am cruising at 60mph and its sitting on 40mpg the moment i take my foot of the gas peddle it will move to 80mpg, i put my foot back on the gas peddle and it adjusts its to the avreage mpg based on how hard am accelerating. so the mpg guage always moves about and doesnt really stay in a constant position. regarding tax yes I think any one with certificate of insurane, V5 and MOT can buy road tax so long as those three docs match with regards to vehicle reg number and chassis number on V5 and MOT doc.

I guess the good old days of the helpfull LOC have gone!

Maybe if your post was more informative??? You say your MPG is jumping between 40 70 MPH ?? Is it the MPG or the speedometer?

As Noby76 says the MPG display does vary widely dependent on your driving style, providing the car is running OK other wise I wouldn't be concerned regarding a cambelt problem as the 2 cannot be related.

As for taxing the car do you know it can be done online now using a debit card or credit card (£2.50 fee for cc)?

Go onto the DVLA website link below and select "Apply for a Tax Disc Online", provide the information requested this is normally the renewal number on the reminder, your insurance and MOT are automatically checked and if all is OK you will then be asked for payment for either 6 or 12 months.

The tax disc normally arrives within a few days, so much easier than making the trip to the PO.

http://www.direct.go...lyD/DG_10034732

Hi brilliant thanks for info regarding taxing the car, maybe I should of been more descriptive with my issue regarding the mpg gauge, basically I can be cruising at a steady 70mph however the MPG gauge needle will literally bounce around between 40-80mpg it's only started since I've had the cam belt change so I'm just assuming it was maybe related, but if not I'm at a loss, can I emphasise I'm fully aware that the mpg gauge goes up and down in relation to how much I put my foot down but as said when steady cruising the needle just bounces around its very strange any advise appreciated

Gordon

well id its driving ok and not showing any lights on the dashboard then am guessing you can live with it but if not have the ECU read for any error codes chances are, it mite pick something but again 'if it aint broke dont fix it'...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links