Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do All Full Screen Sat Navs Give Real Time Traffic Announcements On Rx

Im thinking of updating my lexus and am looking at all the ranges. I like the full screen sat nav models but do they all offer the real time traffic announcements or is there a specific spec that offers this? Also, any idea what that feature is technically called? I understand TMC is the FM radio announcements but I am thinking more specifically about the in built sat nav announcements.

• 1 month later...

I think they all have it. It's called Electronic Traffic Avoidance (ETA)

There is a new digital system, which requires a DAB radio, that has been introduced to the 2012 Land Cruiser and Prius, I guess the new GS probably has it too.

here's some info from an old Toyota press release about ETA

ETA provides the driver with live traffic information which is fed into the satellite navigation system enabling the car to not only warn the driver of a traffic problem, but also to plot a way around jams or snarl ups even if the driver is a stranger to the area.

ETA receives coded traffic information 24 hours per day via an FM radio signal that is picked up even when the car radio is switched off. ETA decodes the messages to give the driver advanced warning of incidents and congestion. If the driver is following a route using the car’s satellite navigation system, ETA will automatically offer an ‘avoid traffic’ option and work out a new route around the traffic.

If the driver is not using the satellite navigation when the traffic warning is received, simply plotting a destination into the navigation system will trigger the ‘avoid traffic’ function and enable stress free re-routing around the problem before the driver encounters it.

• 1 month later...

I think the ETA is quite nifty actually. Before I got the updated 2012 disc, I didn't want to trust it to route me round, but I use it now and it works well. Slightly annoying that there's no vocal alert for it though, just a question on the screen. It's difficult whether these things do save you time because by the time you've taken the alternative route, you've no idea whether it would have been quicker to re-route or just ignore it...

I guess the over-sensitivity can only be blamed on what it receives though, not really the fault of the unit itself.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links