Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Egr Advice Wanted Please

nearlyfunny

Hi there,

I really hope that someone here can help me or at least offer a crumb of comfort! I recently purchased a late 2007 Is220d. The fuel consumption was pretty poor, so after seeing the posts regarding the EGR valve decided to have a look. I first removed Battery. The valve was blocked solid with soot which I cleaned out. I removed the valve to do this properly and used Wynns EGR3 professional to give it a good clean. The port on engine that valve sits on was also solid. I used a hoover and small scraper to remove all this and a tiny drop of the Wynns to finish. I then put it all back together and started engine. It ran for about 20 seconds - very roughly, and then stopped. I have since been unable to start it - although after about 5 attempts the Battery was flat. My questions are these.

1. By removing Battery, and I presume resetting engine settings - could this cause me a problem?

2. Would a relatively flat Battery have caused a problem anyway.?

3. Why on earth would cleaning this valve cause such a problem?

I have now taken Battery out to recharge overnight and removed EGR valve to make sure that valve, pipe and port are thoroughly dry, although to be honest, I hardly used any of the Wynns on the engine part. Any advice would be very welcome please.

I would also add that no alarms show up when I try to start it - it just says checks completed.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Removing the Battery shouldn't cause the problem as the ECU will adapt to basic settings if the memory is lost and then relearn when the car is driver over a period of time.

Again removing,cleaning and refiting of the EGR valve shouldn't cause a problem unless the valve motor has jammed leaving the EGR valve in the wrong position.

If you have a code reader it may be worth plugging it in to see if there are any stored codes which may help your diagnosis.

Try it again with a fully charged Battery first and make sure the electrical plug is secure.

This may help you and other members.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Removing the battery shouldn't cause the problem as the ECU will adapt to basic settings if the memory is lost and then relearn when the car is driver over a period of time.

Again removing,cleaning and refiting of the EGR valve shouldn't cause a problem unless the valve motor has jammed leaving the EGR valve in the wrong position.

If you have a code reader it may be worth plugging it in to see if there are any stored codes which may help your diagnosis.

Try it again with a fully charged battery first and make sure the electrical plug is secure.

This may help you and other members.

Thanks Steve. This video is the one that I watched to see how it's done. Also, my pal had a code reader and there are no codes stored.

:flowers: Well, here's the good news! Back out this morning to put recharged Battery on, and started more or less straight away. Sounded like a bag of nails for about 30 seconds, (which I presume was the residue of all the soot that I cleaned out), and then ran smoothly. I let it warm up just ticking over for 10 minutes and then took it out for a short run. A ten mile trip back and fore (and through) town. Average 36.5mpg. Not seen that before on this short hilly trip! All in all, a success - but may be looking at a new Battery soon, if this one is failing to hold a charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Very strange, this happend exactly with my IS220D!!!

When i was searching info about this i have read this topic, yesterday i had cleaned the EGR valve and disabling it.

I had removed the EGR, took about 15 minutos to cleaning it, after that the EGR was installed and i was trying to starat the car and... nothing append. Battery DEAD! !?!

I got a "quick Battery starter", after plugged in,i was able to start the Car, run about 40 km with the car but this morning the Battery was uncharged again.

I will call the Lexus dealer, because i had bought this car 4 weeks ago (second hand) and this kind of problem should be coverd by warranty.

If i hadnt read this post before cleaning the EGR i would say that was "normal", but this append like "nearlyfunny" user described

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links