Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'off-Roading' Tips For When You Get Caught Out In This 'on

had a bit of a misfortune today - turning around in a field gateway ('oh it'll be fine dont worry, this is supposed to have 4WD, let's see if it works') got stuck in about 6 inches of wet clay. the AA came and their transit van got stuck too, the clay gave no traction at all. we had to get a second AA van to pull us out in a 3-car tow rope convoy. fortunately everyone saw the funny side.

while waiting for the aa we dragged some hurdles out of the hedge and laid a trackway with them but the RX450h wasn't interested - the slightest slip and the computer says no, it wouldn't mount the 4x2 hurdle frames. i turned on the hybrid snow mode but that didn't make any difference.

i was brought up on a farm driving tractors and i know full well that this ilk of car isn't supposed to go off road - indeed the salesman said to me 'if you want to go off road sir, buy a landrover defender'. if i had had any manual control i think i could have rocked it out, but the computer was determined to stop pretty quickly. the rear wheels barely seemed to try to drive. i didn't have the operation manual with me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the best (indeed anything) out of the 450 when accidentally stuck in a bit of mud?

cheers

w

• 1 month later...

As you know the RX is not designed for real off roading. clay is actually some of the worst stuff you can stuck in no matter what you drive.

However you can switch off the traction control by pressing the TRC button which kills TRC or holding button down for 5 seconds which switches whole VDIM system off.

As you know the RX is not designed for real off roading. Clay is actually some of the worst stuff you can stuck in no matter what you drive.

However you can switch off the traction control by pressing the TRC button which kills TRC or holding button down for 5 seconds which switches whole VDIM system off.

+1

you have to turn off the traction control to get anywhere however with the standard road tyres still aren't going to get too far.