Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys.

I have an ls430. I've had it since February, now with the new bearing its very quiet and smooth. But, i miss my old ls400, I don't know why, maybe because it was a better drive, I don't know. Am I the only one who feels like this, or are there any other owners of an ls430 who also miss their old ls400?

hi

There is a guy on here "moriwaki" i think who misses his after upgrading to an LS460.

I missed my mark 3 when i bought my mark 4 mainly becuase of the Electronic throttle which made the car feel very light but i got used to over time

Why do you miss your old LS?

Hi mate

I probably miss it because I think it was a lot smoother than the ls430. I think that my be the reason, plus it felt more comfortable than the ls430.

Hi

You exemplyfy with your comments why I keep my 1990 Ls400 going,I contemplated changing up to a Ls430 when the the range was introduced now I would'nt even consider the idea.There is a saying that relates to all brands and products of engineering, if it is perfect don't change it.

Now I am not saying that time and research does'nt improve things but one has to remember the history and development of the Ls400 and the brief to produce it."go out and regardless of cost build the best car in the world" thats why I am driving around in a twenty three year old car that feels and drives like it was built yesterday , I would like to say thank you to those people that conceived the Lexus Ls400 for all the pleasure their expertise and foresight has given me in the last seventeen years.

I have to agree with you ambermarine. I miss my ls400, I also miss my audi s4, but I wouldn't go back to audi again, especially as their cars ain't really reliable. Lexus and Japanese cars a very reliable. Don't get me wrong guys, I do like my ls430, but I the ls400 in many ways I think was better. I miss my ls400.

I bought a 460L after running my 96 400 over for 5 years....immedietly noticed increased wind noise....over sensitive brakes....steering vague as if worn

track control arms and steering rack on an old car....jerky [ and far too many ] gearchanges ....especially when cold...stereo not as good...good acceleration but needs higher

revs....no where near enough torque low down....400 was far better low down .

all in all the car is noisier...{.thanks mostly to those stupid low profile tyres....who needs them on a cruiser like this anyway.....what were they thinking ? }

and harder to drive than the series 3 400 I had....and this car has only 10.000 miles on it...my 400 had 203,000 and was noticeably smoother.

I am trying to Love this car like the 400...but its hard...dont look forward to driving it as much as the 400....

I drove the 460 to Venice recently and wished I was in my old car all the time...

So youre thinkng....sell it and get another 400 ?.... but I dont give up that easy....keep thinking it "must" be a better car....its a 460 for Gods sake....must be " me "

Oh....and it looks Fabulous inside and out.....My old car is still for sale at a local dealer....and there is not a day goes by that I dont think about buyng it back....

but I would loose a fortune on this thing right now.....and its only done 18 thousand miles.

460 owners ?...Whats your Honest opinion over your 400 ?... am I too sensitive to the controls and noise.....or just Nuts ?

As I said in a previous thread....in my opnion....in the 400 MK3 I had the best car I have ever driven....the best engineered car.....quietest car....smoothest car....

I only realise now after it has gone what I had .....If I had never driven a 400 and got into the 460....then WOW what a car....but after the 400 ?

it is no where near as good.

So I sympathise pal......I would swap my 460 for a mk3 400 with similar miles and similar condition if I could....

All you lads with the 400......bite the bullet....buy the shocks, the bushes, the Y pipes, bearings etc....don't grumble....pride yourself in keeping that FABULOUS car on the road.

and enjoy ever mile like I used to.....Never think you are upgrading to a better car.....because trust me....you wont be . :msn-oh:

I bought a 460L after running my 96 400 over for 5 years....immedietly noticed increased wind noise....over sensitive brakes....steering vague as if worn track control arms and steering rack on an old car....jerky [ and far too many ] gearchanges ....especially when cold...stereo not as good...good acceleration but needs higher revs....no where near enough torque low down....400 was far better low down . all in all the car is noisier...{.thanks mostly to those stupid low profile tyres....who needs them on a cruiser like this anyway.....what were they thinking ? } and harder to drive than the series 3 400 I had....and this car has only 10.000 miles on it...my 400 had 203,000 and was noticeably smoother. I am trying to Love this car like the 400...but its hard...dont look forward to driving it as much as the 400.... I drove the 460 to Venice recently and wished I was in my old car all the time... So youre thinkng....sell it and get another 400 ?.... but I dont give up that easy....keep thinking it "must" be a better car....its a 460 for Gods sake....must be " me " Oh....and it looks Fabulous inside and out.....My old car is still for sale at a local dealer....and there is not a day goes by that I dont think about buyng it back.... but I would loose a fortune on this thing right now.....and its only done 18 thousand miles. 460 owners ?...Whats your Honest opinion over your 400 ?... am I too sensitive to the controls and noise.....or just Nuts ? As I said in a previous thread....in my opnion....in the 400 MK3 I had the best car I have ever driven....the best engineered car.....quietest car....smoothest car.... I only realise now after it has gone what I had .....If I had never driven a 400 and got into the 460....then WOW what a car....but after the 400 ? it is no where near as good. So I sympathise pal......I would swap my 460 for a mk3 400 with similar miles and similar condition if I could.... All you lads with the 400......bite the bullet....buy the shocks, the bushes, the Y pipes, bearings etc....don't grumble....pride yourself in keeping that FABULOUS car on the road. and enjoy ever mile like I used to.....Never think you are upgrading to a better car.....because trust me....you wont be . :msn-oh:

It would appear if you came straight into an LS460 you could live quite happily with it but if you've already owned an LS400 you cant get no satisfaction, cue for a song.

Mike

Such a good point about low profile tyres.

Great if you want to track your car, but for comfortable wafting about on our great British pothole and speed hump infested roads you can't beat proper sized tyres.

Moriwaki I agree with everything you said. I keep thinking shall I sell it and buy an ls400 again? But like you, I don't want to give up that easy. I agree with you on the tyre noise, my ls430 is exactly the same. The ls400 was much quieter on the roads, I couldn't feel or hear any bumps etc.

When I paid over a grand for 5 new tyres { another reason to keep a 400 }....I thought of getting higher profile tyres....it looked like it had plenty of room under the arches....but was advised it would mess up more than the speedo......

When you look at an F1 car it has big fat tyres and corners OK....why oh why did everyone fall for all this low profile trend for road cars ?....started in the 80's on XR3'S etc.

Anyway....its water under the bridge now lads eh ?....

And yes....if I had never owned and worked on the beautifully put together 400 ....or driven it for 5 years and 90 thousand miles....I would have been impressed with the 460.

When my friends drive or travel in the car they are blown away....but they didnt spend all that time in the 400 like me...

I could tell you many more stories of woe on the 460 I have experienced....quality wise...but dont want to rant on too much....

Anyone thinking of buying the newer model....have one for a day or two first if possible....and think HARD. :innocent:

Such a good point about low profile tyres.

Great if you want to track your car, but for comfortable wafting about on our great British pothole and speed hump infested roads you can't beat proper sized tyres.

My Lexus rides almost as good as stock on MeisterR coilovers and 245/40R19 tyres.

Well, I guess todays the right day for me to post here.

Today my 1995 17YO LS400 passed its MOT with more than flying colors & without any pror preening, checking or stress. I had 1 advisory which is offside track rod end front balljoint has slight play, that was down to my new years day driving, I swerved just a bit to avoid a squirrel in hyde park & hit middle of the road island with RH front wheel tearing a tyre with it, so I can say it would have had a completly clean bill of health, only drving got shot. with an advisory The iceing on the car today was that the MOT station spontaeneously said this car is better than & will outlast any new Merc s class, he wasnt after any after MOT trade from me cause I have my regular garage and dont use the MOT garage at all otherwise

So I guess thats my sort of relevant contribution to this topic, can't see me ever wanting anything more!

The ls400 will outlast an audi a8, BMW and merc s class. You can't mess with an ls400. It was the best car i have ever owned. My ls430 is good, but ls400 was better.

14 years old last January, now done 145,000 miles and has just passed another MOT with no work needed (well, I think one of the number plate light bulbs had blown). Never misses a beat, and everything works. In theory I'd like a newer Lexus - a 430 or even a very late 400 - but in practise, what would be the point?

Lamela,

youve got me worried now! my mk4 ls400 has just hit 140k and im thinking of going after a 2001 ls430 with an lpg conversion on saturday.

Love the ls400 but ive started to hear some slight wind noise through the driver door somewhere, irritating when your used to peace and quiet. (prob just needs a new door seal though)

didnt like the shape of the 430 when it came out but getting used to seeing more of em on the road. Have drive a GS450h very nice with a little less room inside though.

Mate, the ls430 is a good car. When I was buying it from the previous owner, he said to me the only reason he's selling it, is to buy another ls400 again. So I thought, why would he want to go back to an ls400, I've been driving this ls430 since February, and its not the same as the ls400. The ls400 is I think a better and smoother ride

This most likely seems like a conspiracy against the newer LS 430 and 460.....but anyone who has spent any time driving and working on a 400 as I have...

...MUST admit it is the quietest and smoothest car EVER !......I am stil trying to love my 460... but look everyday on eBay for that perfect low miles minter MK3 400. :geek:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links