Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Abs Buzz At Low Speeds

Spearjig

My GS mk 2 has developed a buzz with a kicking in the pedal at low speeds, not all the time and only really when coming to a halt. Im lead to believe that its the detector ring cracked on the axle. Is this a big job to fix? or can it be tackled by a reasonable home mechanic (IE - me with a bit help!) More to the point is this a MOT failure? as its just started doing this today and its going in for its MOT tomorrow.

It could well be an MOT fail either on brake operation or an ABS fault, if the ABS light comes on indicating a fault it will definitely fail as this is now part of the test.

The fault is more likely to be a faulty ABS wheel sensor, there is one on each wheel but it could also be the wiring to it so check this and the connector.

The detector ring as you put it is the toothed ring around the hub which generates the pulses for the ABS system, they can have damaged or missing teeth so check them.

Another cause is the build up of dirt and mud around the sensors and reluctor ring so clean everything up.

It may also be worthwhile having a diagnostic code check done just to see if there are any stored codes relating to the ABS which may in turn help diagnose which one is causing the fault, the fronts have more problems in general than the rears so I would start there.

Although not Lexus specific the link below explains the various parts mentioned

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/anti-lock-brake4.htm

It passed Im pleased to say!

great that it passed but still get it checked.......might be something minor now but if not sorted could progress and cause other problems and a big bill.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

I just bought a '98 GS300 (last week ) and it seems to have the same problem ?? a buzzing noise with a slight grind for about 2 seconds .... did you find out what it was and how to fix it ?? and was it expensive ?

as a newbie I'd really appreciate some help ....

thanks

john

Unfortunately some people ask for help/advice but then omit to give any feedback which might help other members. I hope you find and cure the fault and if you do it is very helpful to let others know.

• 6 years later...

I have a SC430 that suffered from these symptoms. It was the reluctor rings on the rear drive shafts . You can get various symptoms but its a common problem on older cars . The hubs corrode and press the bearing  dust seal out and impinge on the reluctor wheel teeth . They wear of and cause various symptoms . easy to check . remove 10mm bolt on sensor and remove . Look at sensor . If it is covered in filings , that is the problem . Ring can be seen in hole  with a torch .Its a job for a competent mechanic . Some do a bodge job on them . 

21 hours ago, nicnac said:

I have a SC430 that suffered from these symptoms. It was the reluctor rings on the rear drive shafts . You can get various symptoms but its a common problem on older cars . The hubs corrode and press the bearing  dust seal out and impinge on the reluctor wheel teeth . They wear of and cause various symptoms . easy to check . remove 10mm bolt on sensor and remove . Look at sensor . If it is covered in filings , that is the problem . Ring can be seen in hole  with a torch .Its a job for a competent mechanic . Some do a bodge job on them . 

How did you tackle this. New sensors or cleaned up. I've read somewhere other owners have removed the dust shields could. Completely. 

Hi Delp , 

I removed the hub in question and removed the dust shield . Took all the corrosion in the hub away with a dremel and flap wheel , covering the wheel bearing first with masking tape. Then applied nickleslip to the surfaces and fitted a new dustcover . The reluctor ring is tapped off the shaft with a drift and the new one heated and placed on the shaft .

I would NOT recommend leaving out the dust cover as it forms a labrinth seal with the corresponding flange on the shaft , thus minimilising water ingress

rr1.png

rr2.png

rr4.png

rrc.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one. I checked my rears abs rings and the teeth looked o.k when looking through the hole I didn't take the whole shaft out. There was a lot of built up filings on the magnetic abs sensor which I cleaned up put back together better than before, but still odd abs kicking in low speeds, I guess it's just a matter of time I might need to replace the rings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delp said:

Nice one. I checked my rears abs rings and the teeth looked o.k when looking through the hole I didn't take the whole shaft out. There was a lot of built up filings on the magnetic abs sensor which I cleaned up put back together better than before, but still odd abs kicking in low speeds, I guess it's just a matter of time I might need to replace the rings. 

You definitely need them replacing if there are filings ..........................good luck!

On 9/9/2020 at 10:55 AM, nicnac said:

You definitely need them replacing if there are filings ..........................good luck!

Was yours the front or rears. I thought the fronts on  GS the abs rings are actually built into the bearing and the rears are not.. Just read it correctly it was the rears you done do you know about the fronts

2 hours ago, Delp said:

Was yours the front or rears. I thought the fronts on  GS the abs rings are actually built into the bearing and the rears are not.. Just read it correctly it was the rears you done do you know about the fronts

I did the rears ......the fronts should be ok as there is a different setup with no shaft ...therefore no or little corrosion .

On 9/12/2020 at 11:12 PM, nicnac said:

febest

Cheers. 

Does the drive shaft need to come out to do the abs rings? Does the suspension arms need to be out.