Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 2011 LS430 has started shaking. It's felt mainly through the steering wheel but I know if I take the wheels to be balanced he'll tell me they are OK. The same thing happened with my GS300 and I put up with it for the 5 years I had the car. Sometimes on that one it got really bad.

I notice it most when I have just set off in the car (ie from cold) and I have to go up a gentle hill. After a few minutes and some time on the level it becomes unnoticeable.

Any ideas?

Mike

My 2011 LS430 has started shaking. It's felt mainly through the steering wheel but I know if I take the wheels to be balanced he'll tell me they are OK. The same thing happened with my GS300 and I put up with it for the 5 years I had the car. Sometimes on that one it got really bad.

I notice it most when I have just set off in the car (ie from cold) and I have to go up a gentle hill. After a few minutes and some time on the level it becomes unnoticeable.

Any ideas?

Mike

Hi Mike

Get the suspension bushes checked front and rear .This will cause the symtoms you describe if there is wear in the hub to lower arm bush and will only occur at certain speeds and load.

It will get worse as time and mileage increases The suspension bushes on the rear suspension can start to cause this symptom as early as a 100k miles

Any ideas?

Mike

Hi Mike

Get the suspension bushes checked front and rear .This will cause the symtoms you describe if there is wear in the hub to lower arm bush and will only occur at certain speeds and load.

It will get worse as time and mileage increases The suspension bushes on the rear suspension can start to cause this symptom as early as a 100k miles

I have a nagging feeling you are right about this ambermarine. Am I right in thinking that Lexus charge an arm and a leg for this but that the bits aren't too costly and can be changed by any reasonable motormechanic?

Mike

Any ideas?

Mike

Hi Mike

I have a nagging feeling you are right about this ambermarine. Am I right in thinking that Lexus charge an arm and a leg for this but that the bits aren't too costly and can be changed by any reasonable motormechanic?

Mike

Hi Mike

I did the rear suspension bushes on my Ls400 Mark 1 which as a pictorial tutorial in workshop tips. The suspension as been changed over the years to the model you have but the basic principles are the same.Wether you can replace the bushes as I did I can't say ,but there may be someone on the LexusLS site that as done so.another way to find out if replacement aftermarket bushes are available is to check out eBay both here and in the states.

The way to check if the bushes are worn is to jack up the car in the area where the subframe connects to the body taking any tension off the hub, axle, bottom, top arms , and trailing arm if there is any play in the bushes the hub will move in a oscillating motion similar to a worn wheel bearing but with most of the play being in the 9 o clock to 3 o clock line, in and out.

It wont be a job that a good Mech can't handle regardless of the fault its just if you will have to source the parts through Lexus that will make the difference in cost.

Any ideas?

Mike

Hi Mike

Mike

Hi Mike

I did the rear suspension bushes on my Ls400 Mark 1 which as a pictorial tutorial in workshop tips. The suspension as been changed over the years to the model you have but the basic principles are the same.Wether you can replace the bushes as I did I can't say ,but there may be someone on the LexusLS site that as done so.another way to find out if replacement aftermarket bushes are available is to check out eBay both here and in the states.

The way to check if the bushes are worn is to jack up the car in the area where the subframe connects to the body taking any tension off the hub, axle, bottom, top arms , and trailing arm if there is any play in the bushes the hub will move in a oscillating motion similar to a worn wheel bearing but with most of the play being in the 9 o clock to 3 o clock line, in and out.

It wont be a job that a good Mech can't handle regardless of the fault its just if you will have to source the parts through Lexus that will make the difference in cost.

Hi Mike

Having done some more research I have located a tutorial and source for the bushings on

www.clublexus.com

type; diy-Rear axle carrier (Knuckle)bushing replacement. in the search box.

It seems the suspension on the 430 goes through to the 600 and the bushing although not the same is similar to the ls400 in its removal and replacement.

There are plenty of suppliers according to the site forum but you will probably have to get them from the states I did when I did the 400 and they were excellent and still are.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links