Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sticking Fuel Guage

HI, IM NEW HERE, I HAVE READ ABIT ABOUT FUEL GUAGE STICKING. MINE DOES THAT SOMETIMES AND SOMETIMES, IT IS FINE, ANY ONE WITH EXPERIENCE ON THIS PROBLEM AND HOW IT CAN BE SOLVED. WHEN EVER MY GUAGE STICKS, I JUST REMOVE THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL OF THE Battery AND PUT IT BACK AND THEN IT BECOMES SANE AGAIN. I AM LOOKING FOR A PERMANENT FIX TO THIS AS I AM SICK OF REMOVING MY Battery ANYTIME I REFUEL. I HAVE HEARD OF REFUELLING WITH KEY IN ON POSITION, DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLIES.

I have the same problem, when I fill up it can take the gauge 10-15 mins to suddenly jump up, going down dont have a problem with (apart from emptying very quickly........ouch)

it seems that you need to have an ECU reset ( as that is what you do when you take of the battery clamps)

I haven't had the problem though so I could be wrong.

yeah, but each time i reset the ECU by taking out the neg terminal of Battery, the guage shows the correct level, but the next time i fill up, it sticks at whatever level it is and only goes down till i take off the Battery terminal again

Right this can be 2 things:

Your wiring in the car ( think ground cable) has seen better days... a grounding kit could help you out ( they cost about 40 pounds on ebay)

Your tank has to much dirt (read water and other rubbish) in it causing the level reader in the tank to stick...( also a clean petrol filter wouldn't be a bad thing if this is the case)

I would go for the last option first as these cars aren't the youngest ... then for the pure hell of it I would get the grounding kit just to make sure this problem is part of the past.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem. But not only with the fuel gauge. Other gauges refuses to work too.

I solved this problem with a new Battery.

Let your Battery check for load (not only startpower) by your local dealer or someone else who has a checking device

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem, yet my car is now 13 years old anf at 167k and still pulls like a train

It could be the fuel sender which is located with the fuel pump, costs less the £50 from a scrapyard but i have found a way to get round it, this usually happens when you fill around 10litres on an empty tank, once you have filled up give it a few seconds on the 2nd ignition and the gauge will respond and some its takes that little but extra time but it always work, i do it all the time. Gd luck