Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Painting Calipers

Is there anything I need to know before painting my calipers - I intend buying some Hammerite (do I need to look for any particular kind?) - I have heard that you don't have to add hardeners or anything like that - just slap it on!

Is this correct - can someone give me step by step instructions cos I'm a bit of a "bodgit" merchant who always thinks that the best way is the quickest!

HAMMERITE SMOOTH - Halfords sell it and will give a better result than just the normal hammerite.

Look at the workshop section (may have been the link above!)

Just clean the caliper before painting. If you like you can give it a quick sand - if its rough due to corrosion - but I wouldn't bother.

Clean and Paint, 2 steps you need really!! Good luck, and when its done you can stand back and enjoy the fruits of your hard work - hardest part it getting wheels off and jacking car up!

Oh and if the wheels don't come loose with all the nuts off, its ok, just wrench it - they sometimes (always!) stick to the hub a bit. You could smear a little copperease or something to the back of the wheel to stop this!

I used Folia Tec on mine, Halfords for £20. The pack has a can of degreaser spray,can of paint and a small tin of hardener.

Had the lot done in about 8 hours, few days later the paint was set, ready for the stickers and the clear lacquer.

basic job.

really stands out well against the Plat Ice.

Thanks for all the advice chaps - it seems a lot easier than I first thought - my IS is black so I think I will go for Black Hammerite with Silver decals.

Thanks to all again :)

Thanks for all the advice chaps - it seems a lot easier than I first thought - my IS is black so I think I will go for Black Hammerite with Silver decals.

Thanks to all again :)

qwik tip.....if you are going to lacquer the calipers once thay have been done using Hammerite give the paint a few days to harden....or the top coat of paint will shrink.....leaving a freaky mosaic pattern....the paint was dry to the touch after a few hours as well. quite weird.....so got the heat gun burned it off and got the Folia Tec gear....Top job.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links