Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Double Barrel Cat

The removal of the DPF filter element is second on my list at the moment with first being the installation of a new clutch.

I would like to remove the cats that are fitted in the car with a high flow one or removed them completely if the noise coming exhaust isn't too loud at a later point.

Does anybody know the diameter of the exhaust's pipe?

Thanks

G.

post-34783-0-45994800-1338212551.png

The diameter of the exhaust seems to be 2.5'.

I have been in communication with a performance exhaust fitter and he can manufacture a direct replacement of the middle section without cats or with high flow cats.

He can do a straight bolt off - bolt on replacement which can be removed easily when the car needs to pass the MOT/NCT.

Is there anybody close the location of these exhaust workshops as they would like to measure it and bend the pipe same as the original one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170557227144?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I haven't yet get a quote on how much would that cost but if there was much interest the price would be low, I believe less that 100 quid.

Removing the cats or having high flow cats will result in a power increase around to 8 bph.

Cheers

G.

Passing from the garage today to check how is the clutch change going, the middle section of the exhaust was taken apart.

I asked the mechanic if a decat system would be possible and he said you have no cats in the middle section....

He had the middle section out of the car and when we dropped water from one side to the other the water passed through with no delay.

Even when you knock the barrels they sound as if they were empty compared to a normal cat where the tone will be deeper.

What we concluded is that a part of the DPF is also a catalytic converter.

If the DPF is removed will the car pass the MOT/NCT check since it will left with no cat at all?

Second question, why did Lexus put a fake double cat at this section of the exhaust? :innocent:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys - thought this might be useful:

This info from the 'Longlife Exhausts' site – see below:

Decatting a Diesel

You CAN remove the catalytic converter on your Diesel Car without having a problem with the MOT. Having taken advice from VOSA, who control MOT testing in the UK, we are 100% confident that removing the CAT on a Diesel won't cause an issue. The confusion has arisen due to the regulations changing in January 2012 for cars which qualify for a full gas emissions test where 'if a cat was fitted as standard, it must be there for the MOT'. As Diesel cars don't qualify for a full gas emissions test, the regulation doesn't apply. The same is true for DPFs which you can also remove (they're not even mentioned in the manual)

Obviously things can change but two inspectors from VOSA have both given the same information and said that nothing is going to change in the near future. If things do change then we'll be the first to let you know.

Information correct as of April 2012

Ref: http://www.longlife....ts-basingstoke/

Anyone can download the MOT testers manual - http://www.motinfo.g...tdocs/index.htm

(you'll want the one for Class 3, 4, 5 and 7) and have a look. The part that deals with exhausts is Part 7.1 on page 157 (yes we've looked at this a lot!)

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links