Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Brake Disc Question

sir john

The disc at the rear are shot so im ordering new discs and pads on monday. How difficult is it to remove the old discs? I seem to remeber reading that its just a couple of screws to remove from under a couple of rubber plugs.

Im replacing both lower rear wishbones as well so any tips on that would be good too.

Here's one I did earlier, not really full credit goes to Lexls.

http://www.lexls.com...ke/rbrotor.html

The screws may need an impact driver to get them started and don't forget the parking brake needs to be off.

Not mentioned in the tutorial is the parking brake shoes, give them a good clean with brake cleaner and grease any contact points.

When the new drum is fitted the shoes may need adjusting, this is done by removing the rubber bung seen in the picture and turning the adjuster with a flat blade screwdriver, turn it until the drum locks then back off until it frees off.

Sorry I cannot remember which direction moves the shoes further out.

Whilst the disc is off you will be able to see the adjuster and the wheel that you have to turn to adjust so you will then know the correct position of the disc to gain access.

thanks for that Steve. Its so long since i had to do something to the LS that i had forgotten about the tutorials.

Ordering the new discs and pads (£87 off ebay) tomorrow and the new upper wishbones and balljoints from lexus carlisle (c£240 the pair)

Will be traeting a bit of surface rust at the rear of the floor pad while its up in the air; she went in to have the back end repaired 3 years ago after a rear shunt and i dont think they did a very good job of repainting the underside.

thanks for that Steve. Its so long since i had to do something to the LS that i had forgotten about the tutorials.

Ordering the new discs and pads (£87 off ebay) tomorrow and the new upper wishbones and balljoints from lexus carlisle (c£240 the pair)

Will be traeting a bit of surface rust at the rear of the floor pad while its up in the air; she went in to have the back end repaired 3 years ago after a rear shunt and i dont think they did a very good job of repainting the underside.

Hi

Did this earlier this year the main difficulty is the 17 mm bolts holding the caliper bracket you will need a breaker bar if these have not been off in the lifetime of the car.I would replace the emergency brake shoes as they tend to go thin on setting off with the brake on.

I would look carefully at the tutorial for fitting them , if it not done as per workshop manual sequence it is impossible to refit them.

The cables also stretch over time and I had to adjust the single cable in the mid section coupling as it had become an advisory on the Mot.for too much down travel on the pedal,this was even after fitting new shoes, even after 22 years of being under the car unprotected it was a touch of wd and a turn of the locking nut to adjust, testimony to the quality build of these cars.

Hi

Did this earlier this year the main difficulty is the 17 mm bolts holding the caliper bracket you will need a breaker bar if these have not been off in the lifetime of the car.I would replace the emergency brake shoes as they tend to go thin on setting off with the brake on.

I would look carefully at the tutorial for fitting them , if it not done as per workshop manual sequence it is impossible to refit them.

The cables also stretch over time and I had to adjust the single cable in the mid section coupling as it had become an advisory on the Mot.for too much down travel on the pedal,this was even after fitting new shoes, even after 22 years of being under the car unprotected it was a touch of wd and a turn of the locking nut to adjust, testimony to the quality build of these cars.

Thanks for that Ambermarine. Did you just change the discs or the upper wishbones and ball joints as well?