Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Sensors On 09 Rx 400H Executive Limited Edition

Hi all,

Newbie here. Got my GS300 a short while ago, but just decided to trade up to a 09 reg RX400h Executive Limited Edition today, mainly wanted to move into the hybrid category, plus I always wanted an SUV.

I am really excited about the car and everything about it except for a couple of things that really baffle me. please could anyone help?

1. This car comes with rear parking camera, same as my GS300 so I just presumed that the front and rear parking sensors come as standard too. However, I just realised that RX400h doesn't come with parking sensors by default! Is this true? With the rear camera, does it not mean a rear sensors would definitely be part of it?

2. If the above is true, how much am I looking at to have the sensors fixed by the main dealer? I have grown very much used to the sensors having driven my GS300, and RX is a big car, I'd really like to have them to be honest.

3. Presume that I can have the dealer to fix the sensors for me, how robust or reliable are they (If I get the 800 series as recommended by some). Do they work quite awkwardly as not very much integrated with the existing dash control etc.?

4. I have read some articles from some drivers reporting the car rolls on a hill start. Is that an universal problem with RX400h, is that true?

5. Lastly, I also just realised that the SmartAccess doesn't apply to this model either! How silly, my 05 GS300 has all of the above as standard. It's a real shame cos I hate the look of the old fashioned key and hate having to turn it to switch the car on the old fashion way. :( I guess there's no way around this?

Many many many many many thanks for your help in advance!

Jake

Welcome Jake

1 - I believe parking sensors are a dealer fit option. Certainly not standard and I didn't think they were fully integrated as with the RX450h into the display

2,3 - you would need to speak with your dealer. I think they are quite expensive, as you would expect. Several hundred pounds.

4 - yes on very steep hills. Really not a problem if you are quick with your foot. Some normal autos are just the same.

5 - only on the RX450h. The RX400h is based on a 2003 design, not that age really defines these things. They just didn't implement that on the series II RX at the beginning nor did they add it with the facelift in 2006.

Climate control auto recirculate is another omission, something that was around on the 1998 GS.

No estimated range on remaining fuel

No ventilated seats

Thanks Colin! It was very helpful and much appreciated... It's shame, after spending so much money to upgrade, i will have to spend even more to get something that should really be standard to start with. :( have you or anyone had experience with these 800 series sensors? How practical are they and how do you find them working compared to integrated sensors? Is it worth getting?

Thanks

Jake

Hi there,

I was going to respond but I see that Colin has responded to all your points and I agree with all his comments.

I too drive an exec limited edition... yes it does roll down steep hills, and yes, the key is rather ugly and old fashionned, and no there is no estimated range on remaining fuel. But don't let these details put you off what is an excellent car overall!

Hi there,

I was going to respond but I see that Colin has responded to all your points and I agree with all his comments.

I too drive an exec limited edition... yes it does roll down steep hills, and yes, the key is rather ugly and old fashionned, and no there is no estimated range on remaining fuel. But don't let these details put you off what is an excellent car overall!

Thanks Dan! It does make me a little worried, but as long as it only happens on VERY steep hill, then I am OK. I am just used to how stable the GS is on steep hills. I am more concerned about the parking sensors to be honest. Did you have one fitted to your RX? I asked my local dealer and the cost they have come back to me with is £923, which is quite a lot :( But I would rather have it as it's a big car! And I am a new driver. I would be happy to spend that money, as long as when it's fitted it's not so awkward to use! I would hate to have something that looks and functions clearly as an add-on or after thought. I can understand that there probably wouldn't be any display on the dash, however, it should at least kick in when the car slows down and switch off when it goes up over 10mph. I wish to hear from people who have got them installed to let me know how it compares really to factory integrated sensors...

I had front and rear parking sensors dealer fitted to my 400H when it was new (July 08) and the price you have been quoted seems about right. The sensors are the Toyota 800 series and I've had no problems with them.

There is no display for either front or rear sensors, but the tones made when they operate are different (can be a bit confusing when manoevering in a tight space and they're both going off). The front sensors have a switch fitted down near the fuel filler release and this can be used to deactivate the front sensors. Under normal circumstances the front sensors only operate when the car is moving slowly (less than 10mph) and automatically switch off when the car is going faster than this.

You won't regret buying a 400H, mine is now 4 years old with 47K on the clock, absolutely no problems. It's far and away the best car I've ever had and have no plans to change (even to the 450H which IMHO is plug ugly)

Hope this helps

Bruce

Thank you Bruce! That really helps! :) really appreciate it. I am going to go ahead with the sensors, can't wait to pick up the car on Saturday!!

The reviews are looking good for 400h, even though there's been negative about driving in snowy icy conditions. Any experience with that? I actually quite like the look of 450h, and was never sure about 400h. But it's been growing on me lately, and I love the look of it now! :) is your car a head turner?

I didn't experience any issues in the snow and ice we have had over the last few years in the south, certainly better than any standard front wheel drive car (and obviously rear wheel drive). It's no Land Cruiser so you don't want to go off-road though.

Thank you Bruce! That really helps! :) really appreciate it. I am going to go ahead with the sensors, can't wait to pick up the car on Saturday!!

The reviews are looking good for 400h, even though there's been negative about driving in snowy icy conditions. Any experience with that? I actually quite like the look of 450h, and was never sure about 400h. But it's been growing on me lately, and I love the look of it now! :) is your car a head turner?

Hi Jake

For a positive experience of driving in snow see my post from Dec 2010 at http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=70376&hl=switzerland&fromsearch=1

Welcome to the world of RX400h!

Regards

JBP

• 2 weeks later...

i was really shocked to see the RX300 and 400 does not come with parking sensors. i was helping my brother source an RX300 and kept arguing with him when he said they don't come with PS. ( i was assuming it does!). i am very very puzzled as to why parking sensors on a big vehicle like that does not come as standard. very strange when parking sensors come standard in most cars from 2002 onwards. my is250 comes with camera and sensors. does anyone know why lexus decided on this?

i was really shocked to see the RX300 and 400 does not come with parking sensors. i was helping my brother source an RX300 and kept arguing with him when he said they don't come with PS. ( i was assuming it does!). i am very very puzzled as to why parking sensors on a big vehicle like that does not come as standard. very strange when parking sensors come standard in most cars from 2002 onwards. my is250 comes with camera and sensors. does anyone know why lexus decided on this?

Personally I've not found the need for them on the back as I have the reversing camera, although not all models do. I guess they didn't come as standard from the factory as the RX was designed for the American market where you actually get parking spaces big enough not to need them.

The latest RX does come with them as a factory fit, but not on the base model. I guess you can't expect too much for a vehicle only costing £45,000 :o

• 4 months later...

Hi Also just a newbie. Just bought a 2006 RX400H . Really suprised to find it has no rear working park sensors on the camera model. They seem to be physically OK but don't work. Is this generally the case? Also very suprised to find car doesn't have a "range" indicator. First time ever recently for that. OK would be interested in comments about these?

Hi Also just a newbie. Just bought a 2006 RX400H . Really suprised to find it has no rear working park sensors on the camera model. They seem to be physically OK but don't work. Is this generally the case? Also very suprised to find car doesn't have a "range" indicator. First time ever recently for that. OK would be interested in comments about these?

You have camera so why are sensors needed as well? However if they are fitted and don't work why ever do you not take it back to the supplying dealer?

Range indicators are simply toys but not essential. Have not missed it and surely it is just one of those things you should have spotted before purchase if it matters to you?

In regards to front and rear parking sensors, here is my ten cents worth on this topic. Even though your Lexus has a rear view camera, if you have spent all that hard earned dosh on a prestige car, then I think that they are well worth it. I for one have always had front and rear sensors on my RX, along with having the rear camera. It is really personal choice. The price quoted by the Lexus dealer is about right. I have been toying over the idea (for ages now !!) of trading in my RX300 for a RX400h, so I asked a local company to me, John Klies in Reading who do everything and anything to cars for a quote. For 4 rear and 4 front surface mounted (the ones that stick out a bit) sensors with canbus, it would cost £549 fully fitted, they also do flush mounted ones which look like production line sensors, they take a little more skill to fit, these cost £795 fully fitted and the front sensors are speed sensative, none of this seperate switch rubbish to turn them on and off. They also come with a front and rear screen indicator for extra piece of mind, but if you don't need these, then just tell them not to fit them. Again, I have this option and is useful to me !!!...again, it's all down to personal choice and of course, if you have the spare cash !!! I would have thought that Lexus would have included these as standard in such a car, at least from the RX400h onwards.

• 3 weeks later...

You have camera so why are sensors needed as well?

Camera is less than useless in the dark! I had front/rear sensors added to my 09 RX400h LE when I purchased it this time last year. Haven't used the front ones very often and the back ones emit a constant alarm when its raining, so useless most of the time. Rather than spent £500 having them fitted I wish I'd invested in some brighter reversing lights! Anyone know if there's a suitable LED bulb that will enable the camera to see even 10 feet behind the car when reverse is engaged?

My 2006 RX400H SE-L with Reversing Camera has just yesterday (8/12/12) started working the rear parking sensors. Nothing I did! Could blame the dog for switching them on with the switch in the boot, but it wouldn't ever work for me. Only explanation I can think of is that the weather has got really cold!

I'm afraid to touch the switch now in case they go off again. Very strange? Anyone come across this before?

DesG