Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Your Experience Required-- Best Remap For A Is220D 06 Model.

The Fly

Iv got a TDITUNNING box fitted and improved cae alot picks up ablut 1500 to 1600rpm. Mpg from 31mpg to 44mpg on b roads will go to 49 on motorway. I can use 6th gear but need to drop down if i want to over take. 6th isnt as bad as before the box i have to set cruise control to about 73mph for it to not feel dead.Miles in a tank 500 to 550 max granny driving. Iv noticed that theres alot of noise when driving in 6th i have 225/40/18 tryes on 18x9 split rims very noisy at 70mph i know its not the gear but dose seem noisier than 5th.

I want to take the box out to test with out the box to compare the drive diffrence. I read on previose post that the chip helps wear and tear etc but thats no diffrence than modifying any car to go faster is it?

So far im happy with the chip.next custom twin exit. Lowerd with springs.tints next tomorrow and a lip thats all very subtle

• 4 months later...
Guest bigbullhead

Be careful of the turbo creating more pressure will wear that turbo spindle I do know I did it I think next time writhe the mph I think a 250 petrol I'll be my next choice as I like my 220d and won't sell it but I did think 40mph would be achievable 99.9 % of the time which it does not 36-37 is my average now my Astra with useable 6th gear returned45 mph 100% of the time

I dont think you need to spend money on a remap! just drop down a gear or two and you will be within the power band. I know most diesel drivers prefer to stay in say 4th or 5th gear even when they are cruising at 30MPH which gives the notion of making the car use less fuel but people forget using the wrong gear ratio based on your speed can actually labour the engine and actually chuck more fuel into the car to get it going when say you crusing at 30mph in 4th gear and floor it. Just drop it a few ratios down to match the right gear to the speed travelling. all Turbo engines suffer from lag be it petrol or diesel cars and most ways manufactures overcome this is using small twin sequential turbos rather than a single big one so its not a problem which is unique to Lexus only. Merc, VW, Audi BMW's all suffer from turbo lag. its a dissadvantage of driving a turbo charged car until its fully spooled then away you go.... I think your manual should list the gear ratios one should use based on speed travelling!!

I wouldnt say all suffer. Some turbo engines already have a good amount of torque and BHP to begin with, and thats when your laughing

Slight correction guys....this isn't a first diesel from Toyota.

The diesel engine in the IS220d is a Toyota D4D engine. Toyota have been making diesels for ages, many many years.... Ok they might have been used in Hiaces and Hilux's, 4x4's etc, but diesel technology is nothing new to Toyota. In fact some of those 4x4 diesels are the best out there.

The problems with the drive is the differential, which is geared high to try and make it economical. They forgot that it needed to be useable too, so in the UK, the 6th gear was only really useable for track days, and the really narrow delivery from the turbo means that you can't just use a slightly higher gear like you can in, say an A4 or 3 series BMW.

I think Lexus tried to cut costs by taking a Toyota engine, shoe-horning it into the IS, and then fiddling with the diff's to try amd make it powerful and econimical, and failed in some ways on both counts. Even dealers admit it was a bit of a dog....

With all the problems I had with mine it had to go. I actually left Lexus altogether for 4 years....only came back because I couldn't get a petrol A7 with 5 seats in budget last year.

• 7 months later...

just to throw a little bit of fuel onto the fire.......

I had a new engine dropped into my 57 plate 220PovertyspecD about 21k ago and since the day I took it out of Lexus Leicester sixth gear has been very accessible and very flexible. At first I was convinced they'd dropped a new 'box in TBH......

I can happily chug along in sixth at 60+ without the constant feeling the damn thing was about to stall. Not much in the way of overtaking speed but very very different to before the engine change.

The economy was instantly better too - about 2mpg on like to like driving

Note; although since I recently put 18" rims & cr@ppy tyres on the mpg has fallen off a cliff......cheap compounds and all that.......

Just wish I didn't hate the seats so much..........

I have torquetronix tuing chip for sale.
took it out before I sold it.
fuel consumption decreased from 5.9l/100km to 5.2l/100km
bhp from 171.6 to 186.5
torque from 367.1Nm to 404.3Nm
have dyno sheets to prove

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links