Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Touch Screen Not Working (Mark Levinson)

Hi all

I have had my IS 250 SEL (56 plate) for a few years now with no problems, until today! :-)

Without any warning my Mark Levinson Systems touch screen has stopped working.

Everything seems to be OK with regards to the Audio, DVD, Bluetooth, reversing camera etc. The only problem is that I am unable to get to the Sat Nav as I can not get past the caution screen on startup.

If I press any of the buttons either side of the screen it takes me to the relevant screen but touching any of the buttons on the screen results in nothing!

I have tried disconnecting the Battery in the hope that it might reboot the system to no avail.

In fact, does the head unit have it's own power supply (battery)? The radio settings were not lost, which leads me to believe there is some sort of power backup.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, did you find a solution?

I rang Lexus Edgware Road today and nearly fainted when they said a reconditioned unit would be £2700 and if I wanted a brand new unit it would be another £1200!!

I don't want to change out the whole unit, especially at that price, as everything seems to be working ok apart from the touch screen.

Does anyone know if the screen can be replaced rather than the whole head unit? and if so, where do you buy them from?

One thing I did notice was that when reversing it had a message at the bottom of the screen saying "system initialising" and the 2 yellow lines that aid reversing were not present.

This was after i had disconnected and reconnected the Battery and I can't say if it was like that beforehand as I didnt notice it.

I am not sure if this is relevant to the problem I presently have but I have never seen it before.

It is just strange that it was working in the morning and then at lunch time it wasn't - car left parked for about 4 hours.

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

It is a common problem, in the US at least - maybe heat accelerates the fault which is a failure of the touch screen digitiser ribbon cable/connector.

No personal experience with fixing the issue but take a look here (I wouldn't normally prompt another Lexus forum but we don't have our own procedure written up for this)

http://www.clublexus...en-fix-diy.html

to answer your question around a radio power supply, no there isn't a separate power source - the unit has its own non volatile memory.

• 7 months later...

I couldn't be bothered trying to repair mine (I did initially attempt it but circuit writer pen was annoying & time consuming as u have to let it dry)... Instead bought new screen and fitted it in 30mins.....

Lexus wanted £2800 + labour!!

I got brand new screen for £190 :)

How do the justify £3k for a design flaw! Or is it because the screen is made by toshiba ;)

I couldn't be bothered trying to repair mine (I did initially attempt it but circuit writer pen was annoying & time consuming as u have to let it dry)... Instead bought new screen and fitted it in 30mins.....

Lexus wanted £2800 + labour!!

I got brand new screen for £190 :)

How do the justify £3k for a design flaw! Or is it because the screen is made by toshiba ;)

Interesting read that. Could you tell me where you got the screen from. Most useful imformation for the future maybe.

Many thanks in advance.

Further to the comments by agent_dess in post 4 above, regarding costs involved. I was reading an article in What car showing just how little you can now pay for such things. Have a look at patagraph 4 in the following link :-

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/best-and-worst-infotainment-systems/265254?utm_source=Silverpop&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=WCAR%20ENews%20Bulletin%20(08.02.2013)%20remainder&utm_content=article1_readmore

Hi guys:

i bought the screen from:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-2009-LEXUS-IS-220-IS250-IS300-NAVIGATION-LCD-TFT-DISPLAY-with-TOUCH-SCREEN-/170837120295?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27c6af9527

looks exactly like the original screen (except no toshiba sticker... who cares? lol)

Made in Japan... works like a charm.

I kind of wished i had taken pictures of the whole process to help anyone else that want to replace it... but i only thought about it once i was half-way through the swap!....

But it's a piece of cake!...

Time take:

10 mins to remove the unit from car:

30 mins to swap screen

15 mins putting all the screws back together.

Thats pretty quick going by any stretch. Very well done.

Thanks for the link...should be of interest to many others too I would think.

Glad to hear it has all worked out well.

There is quite a detailed Vid on taking the lot out. I have a link somewhere at home...if i find it I will add it to your post.

Cheers

Later Edit 6pm Here is that guide

http://snapguide.com/guides/fix-the-touchscreen-in-a-lexus-is350/?var=1&utm_expid=56347960-1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3Dtoshiba%2520touchscreen%2520lexus%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D3%26cad%3Drja%26sqi%3D2%26ved%3D0CFsQFjAC%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fsnapguide.com%252Fguides%252Ffix-the-touchscreen-in-a-lexus-is350%252F%26ei%3D824WUYy6FeiV0QWW04DABw%26usg%3DAFQjCNEvrQ4ybWhDPy0p3G5ybP17Z7yERw%26bvm%3Dbv.42080656%2Cd.d2k

Bit of a mouthful...but should prove fairly useful to those interested

There is a "how to remove it" video on youtube, but the guy already has everything unplugged and only shows you as a guide but the snap guide url u have posted is good, i did use that at the time i removed mines.

here's the link anyway:

Only thing i will say is that the cable loom at back of the unit is far shorter than what people in the US appear to have.... in other word there isn't much room the pull the unit forward much... so use a towel to avoid scratching the unit or the surround.

Anyone wants a hand or guide then i'll be glad to help :)

• 5 years later...

Some great information here. Just had this problem with my is250 in the last couple of days. I’m going to attempt myself! 

Anybody know the screen size for the nav unit mark levinson. Im going to just replace the digitizer but don’t know if I need 7” or 7.3”. 

Many help appreciated.

thanks in advance

51 minutes ago, lexusroyce said:

Some great information here. Just had this problem with my is250 in the last couple of days. I’m going to attempt myself! 

Anybody know the screen size for the nav unit mark levinson. Im going to just replace the digitizer but don’t know if I need 7” or 7.3”. 

Many help appreciated.

thanks in advance

Mine recently went, a few days after I'd installed my Grom Vline V2 so I was lucky that I was still able to use the system as I installed a track ball mouse meaning I have full functionality.  It is bugging me though that the screen isn't working so will get the job done soon.

I've seen this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Display-Touch-Screen-LTA070B511F-LEXUS-IS200-IS220-IS250-IS300-IS350/263825067502?hash=item3d6d330dee:g:K6YAAOxyRhBSvf4b

Genuine Toshiba screen although the link doesn't mention which gen IS250 it works on.  Might as well replace the screen and touch element at that price, it's sods law that a few months after the touch screen is installed the bloody screen will die.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links