Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Losing Power Intermittently In 2Nd And 3Rd

Astr4twin

Hello, looking for a bit of advice really to see if there's a simple fix or what work im going to need done.

The car has started intermittently running sluggish in 2nd and 3rd gear. A bit like turbo lag but but for an extended period of time. I can sometimes lift my foot off the accelerator and back down again and it will sort itself out. There are then times when i can drive around for the day with no problems at all.

My first thought was to clean the EGR valve. It had'nt really built up that much from when i cleaned it the year before but it still needed a good clearing. I also gave the mass airflow sensor a quick clean while i was at it.

Unfortunately the problem was still there. It was due for a service so i took it in for a full service hoping it may be something as simple as needing a new fuel fitler.

The garage fitted new air,oil and fuel filter etc. but it's made no difference.

The car is an 06 plate which i purchased just over a year ago with 20k on the clock which has just hit 30k so its not like its had a hard life. I always use decent fuel and add Millers diesel power sport 4 additive. There is also no engine management lights appearing.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

I take it there are no Engine management lights flagging up?

As you have cleaned the EGR the fault could be with the variable vane turbocharger, the mechanism can get stuck due to carbon build up, a boost pressure check may provide a better diagnosis.

No, no VSC check or anything is popping up. I drive it as economically as possible and usually get 32mpg town driving, but this has dropped to 27mpg.

Not sure wether or not to take it into Lexus dealer or local garage as dealership is quite a distance away. Getting it in the ear of the other half as i have not long spent a small fortune on new wheels and tyres and i told her buying a Lexus would be reliable. Unfortunately i didnt look here to read up on the 220d first.

Appreciate you getting back to me so i can at least point the garage in the right direction and hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Thank's.

Edit: You got me looking now and im wondering wether or not to remove this and give it a clean myself. Would you consider this too big a job to take on?, consider myself a novice but from what iv'e seen it looks fairly simple.