Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 07 is220d was up for MOT today took it to get washed including the underside when i came of the ramp it took two pushes of the start button to get the engine going . The next three times i started the car it did the same thing. Sure enough drove to the test centre and half way through the man had to switch the car off and when he tried to start it again the car was dead no lights and the windows or locks wont work. the start button does nothing when pushed. Total embarassment had to get pushed out of the test centre. There was a toyota garage across the road so got them to replace the key Battery but that did not help . Got a set of jump leads but that also made no difference so the car had to be transported to a local garage where they say they will have a look but it might be a job for a Lexus dealer 50 miles away .Does anyone have any idea what could cause this problem and do you think the car wash had something to do with it as the problem started after this was done.

Thanks

Enda

Sorry no one came back with any ideas but thanks for coming back with the results and I am pleased to hear it was nothing major.

Body earth points are critical on all cars but more so on modern cars with all the computers involved.

It is a good idea when servicing to check all the earth points for security and cleanliness and if in any doubt to remove them,clean them and the body contact area and refit.

I may have been caused by the underbody wash, the high pressure water jets may have disturbed the earth point which was already defective.

Mmmm I've seen this posted before. Someone else had an earth strap issue.

One of those events that is worth noting if it ever happens. Easily fixed but frustrating when you can't find the cause.

Thanks for the reminder.. have stashed it in the grey matter!