Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broken Wheel Bolts :(

Hi all

So i have tried to remove my wheel today and think the garage tightened them too much when they were working on it - i tried removing the bolts but they snapped off with half of the bolts still holding the wheel on :( any ideas how to sort this? Is it going to be expensive? Id be grateful for any help!

Thanks,

Adam

if you have breakdown cover give them a quick ring and tell them you thought you had a puncture and wanted to change your tyres yourself but you now stuck once the breakdown man turns up explain the problem to him and if you lucky he mite just have the right tool to take the broken bolts off.

This happened to me on my old Primera about 10 years ago on a set of TSW alloys.

I did exactly what noby76 says. Called the AA as I was at home and had home start cover. He came out had an electric bolt remover which did the job no problem. He even ran me to a garage in town that sold TSW wheels. Cost me a tenner for the new bolts that's all, easy! :)

Hmmm I'm struggling to picture how the bolts can snap off yet still be holing the wheel on. Has the head of the bold snapped or has it snapped at the threaded section?

For a garage to fit wheel bolts and overtighten them is an outrage, any decent garage would torque the wheel studs of bolts correctly with a torque wrench.

Once you do get them off If there is none on there, then I would reccommend that you smear the mating faces and studs with copper grease to make life easier in future

Just to make sure here. The wheel isn't put on with bolts. It is fitted with wheel nuts.

There is supposed to be 4-5cm of thread still fitted to the wheelhub :)

You know this, right?

When mine snapped the head snapped off leaving the rest of the nut in the hub, it was corroded so i couldnt get it out with my tools. Probably wasn't securing the wheel but I couldn't get it out of the hub and I didn't fancy driving without all the nuts securing the wheel :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links