Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs 250 - So Who's Got One And How Many Are On The Roads?

That's why I avoided the GS450h though the performance in terms of speed in a 450h will be much better. The smaller boot, £10k premium etc make it a tough choice and as you say a lot of petrol and VED can be had.

I get the whole thing about economy, but if you buy a diesel it's still much cheaper overall as a 530d or a MB 350CDi has similar performance for £000's less than a 450h (though less toys) and depreciation on a Lexus isn't exactly brilliant. If you don't want a german luxury car, then in the UK you don't have much choice.

I just hope they don't stop the 250. It'll plummet in value like a stone :-(

On a run the GS250 easily manages 33-37 - it's around town when the extra weight and lack of torque make the economy head downwards so fast it's unbelievable.

Don't get me wrong the GS250 is fantastic as a car, just the economy is something I am getting used to! In town I'm not bettering 16-23 mpg, but that's stop start and largely on a cold engine. Other than that I have no regrets, but I came over from a BMW 525d M Sport Auto, 3.0ld which was faster, much more economical etc. But I only do 8k a year too now, so it's not too bad and I knew what I was getting into as I drove everything in the price bracket. For a private buyer the Lexus is a brilliant car!! It's so much better in many respects, and the dealers are superb. You really should do as I did and drive everything in the price range - especially as it's your own cash - that way you will know immediately what feels and is right. A 1 hour drive in the Lexus sold it to us, so I don't regret it all.

Silver Arrow, you are absolutely spot on when you say there is little or no choice in the UK for petrol engined luxury cars. Just select petrol in Autotrader, and less than a quarter of the cars are petrol. I don't think 8 k a year warrants a diesel, and I certainly don't want the all too common published dpf problems. I did decide on an Audi A6 then read horror stories on their multitronic gearbox.

I have driven Bmw 520 & 525d, which were excellent vehicles, but the ride I felt was overly firm, and the 19" m sport wheel at £300 a corner makes a dent in the running costs, which takes account of the low VED. I felt the Merc had a poor Quality interior, the Jag XF being the only real contender, but, diesel!

I do think the GS is certainly the most refined car of this bunch, and as you say, we know what we are getting into when we purchase. I am quite used to 27/28 around town, and 38+ on a run, I don't do any sitting in traffic or daily commuting, and we do have the excellent Lexus back up. I can't see them dropping this model, that is not Lexus way, they are a niche producer of top end luxury vehicles.

Had another drive today...........decisions to be made......watch this space!

Exactly - I had to get rid of the 525d M Sport because the ride was horrific, the seats were uncomfortable (very firm with no lumber support) and whilst the car handled well, it was a "hard" drive leading to back ache. The Audi's are great - if you go for the Stronic versions/Quattro - avoid the Multitronics. The Multi's have a delay at start off too - very disconcerting - you press the throttle and nothing for half a second - which is a long time when you hit the pedal.

There are very few SE GS's about, so a Luxury is the one to go for. Considering that there are some demo's just north of £30k, I should have waited lol, but the ML is superb and it's worth finding one with that. Find one with that and you can't go wrong....

I did take a long hard look at the XF, but I didn't think that the interior was made that well. It looked nice, but the hatch on the cup holders felt very cheap....

So it still begs an answer to the original question as posted, Who else out there as got the new Gs in any variant?

Looking on Lexus Uk, there are about 70-80 nationally, for sale at dealers.........so has anyone else other than Silver Arrow

Bought one.

Is it possible to establish how many Lexus have actually sold since launch in June!

Yes it is. This is the link to the Lexus sales numbers in the UK - http://media.toyota.co.uk/category/corporate/sales-figures/lexus-sales-figures/

The latest numbers are here - http://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1349433666LexusSalesFigures2012PassengerVehicles.pdf

They have sold 143 + 100 + 64 +24 + 181 = 512 to the end of September.

I can just picture that conversation now.......

Larry: "Hello, I'd like to become the 513th sale of the new 4th Gen GS....."

Sales chap: "Certainly sir"

Larry: "....but only if you do me your bestest, bestest deal!"

Sales chap: "Certainly sir"

<text message to manager>: "We've a real live one here boss! I'm going to throw in the paint protection treatment to clinch it, okay?"

Sales chap: "Sorry about that, Mrs wanting me to stop off on the way home and pick up something nice for dinner. Now, about this deal, I've a real gem of a one for you....."

Larry: "Uh huh....where do I sign?"

No PJ S, I have bought a few cars before, my name is Larry, not gullible.

It has already been made clear I do not want, need, or have any wish for, supagard(£299) Personal Contract Plan, or indeed

Gap insurance. What I do want is a deal that I am comfortable with, which has to reflect a number of issues.....20% VAT, £600 first year VED, First Reg fee, and all the usual bolt ons.

I am also aware from the web the way the prices of the demo's on the forecourt are dropping, some are now sub £30k, so I would endeavour to offset some of that.

Lexus have the car, I have the ability to purchase, it is my decision, not there's, if the deal doesn't suit me, I will walk away.

If you do gor for a brand new one, start at the Broadspeed.com discount price - mine was £3k -which Inchcape (who own broadspeed) willingly just gave me ;-). That was in July....

Right now you should be able to get a little more off I suspect, especially on a 250. Good luck mate.

I'm not sure how many of the 250's are actually sold to people....lol I've still only seen one other than mine on the roads.

by the way - I bought GAP from www.ala.co.uk for £250 (4 years), and did the paint treatment myself. Used Carlack68 (Klasse) and Carnuba and it looks absolutely beautiful. Treated the alloys to Autoglym Alloy wheel seal, which I swear is just furniture polish (smells like Mr Sheen, goes on like Mr Sheen...must be....). The wheels are powder coated at new now, so hopefully won't just bubble away in 6 months....

Sorry, PJ S, I now do see your humour, thought only BMW dealers tried the ' have I got a deal for you trick', after all 5% of nothing is, Mmmmm nothin!

Silver Arrow, could I ask you, when you quote Mpg at 16-23 urban, that really puts this car in doubt. Has that improved any now its run in, I would have hoped that it would return at least 28 urban/combined, and 36/38 on a run. As I have previously said my 300 does that, so I had hoped the 2.5 would be slightly better even allowing for the added weight and smaller engine pay off.

OK - so the 16-23 is based on 2-3 mile runs, or school runs with a totally cold engine. The 525d was about 20% better (19-27), so for that sort of driving I don't think anyone would beat those MPG figures around where I live because it is all stop/start. Seems like your town drives are more "sensible" and give better MPG. I'm sure it would be better than the 300 SEL.

The best way to check is to zero the trip computer on a test drive and drive the way you drive - you'll know immediately if it's OK or not.

The depreciation is frightening.....the demo I drove last weekend had been reduced by £1k, and this weekend it's gone down another £2k, thats £3k in seven days, sub £30000!!!!!!!! That's £10k off the list price since July.....a good buy now?

Hi Jonas, this was a Gs250 luxury with MM, and less than 3k on the clock. But you are right, Lexus do not fare well on the depreciation stakes, my correct Gs has lost £5k a year on average. In hind sight, because of my reluctance to change at 3-4 years a big gap has now opened up to get back into the newer model. The depreciation point having being raised, I would be good to know whether the equivalent Bmw, Merc, Audi, may not depreciate quite as fast, but do they cost more in repairs after Manu warranty expires, whereas, Lexus ( fingers crossed) remain trouble free, and of course you do feel confident in the dealer network. So it's more than depreciation, it's the whole package that should be considered, that's why 48% of Lexus customers return.

That's why I bought one... ;-)

I was really worried with my IS220d - I had that from new but knew it would be a handful after the warranty had gone, so it went after 30 months. I was really worried with the Beemer too.

As far as depreciation goes, petrol Mercs and BM's don't suffer well either.

I have been keeping an eye on the IS250, and other than a few problems with start rattle, it seemed good. So this time I went for it....but the GS with what is effectively that engine.