Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok, so here is my problem.

I have a lovely 1997 GS300 which has recently developed a very annoying alarm problem.

Symptoms are as follows...

1. Use key fob to unlock car, lights flash twice to indicate alarm is off and doors unlocked, no problem.

2. Put key in ignition and the steering wheel comes out, no problem.

3. Turn on the ignition, alarm continuously sounds. Trying to turn it off with the key fob doesn't work.

4. Start the engine, alarm changes from continuous to intermittent .

5. Drive away down the road, with alarm sounding and getting some very dodgy looks.

6. After about 2-4 minutes the alarm starts to sound a bit pathetic and then eventually stops.

7. Can now drive around all day with no problems unless I stop and turn off the engine in which case there is a high probability that we are right back to symptom 1 again!

I did disconnect the Battery for a couple of days in the hope that this would reset the alarm, but to no avail.

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

There is a transponder in the key itself, that is picked up by a ring around the ignition switch. Not entirely sure if it is merely an immobiliser or if it is linked to the alarm as well.

Probably worth checking fuses as well. All of the following supply one part or another of the Theft Deterrent ECU:

• ECU-IG
  • HAZ-HORN
  • CIG
  • ALT
  • DOME

They all have other jobs too, but still worth a check.

The story so far..

Made sure my neighbours were out. Disconnected the Battery then reconnected it. This caused the alarm to sound. Let the alarm sound for as long as it wanted, theory being that this would reset everything. Sure enough after 4-5 minutes the alarm stopped. I was then able to start the car but was still left with my original problem.

Took the front offside wheel off. Undid all the covering to expose the b*st*rd little alarm.

Took the alarm to pieces and removed this.

558461_4340640031630_584270270_n.jpg

For all I know the alarm is going off now but without that massive magnet there is pure silence.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links