Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help, Really Fallen For The Ct, But .....

stepppy

The time has come for me to change my 2007 A3 Sportback and the CT seemed a natural move. I did look at the CT when they first came out, but it was a bit too soon to be looking to change my car.

We had a quick test drive a week ago in the pouring rain, but yesterday the dealership arranged an extended test drive for a couple of hours or so in the much better sunny weather. The model was the SE-L Premier which is the model I would go for.

As we had such a long time it was an ideal opportunity to drive on the roads I use all the time and also my route to work. We were able to drive on the motorway, urban routes and a real mix bag of roads. To say the economy was good is an understatement. On my journey to work which is just over 7 miles I got an incredible 77.7 MPG as per attached photo. This was in normal mode and the Air Con on Auto. The overall trip when I took it back to the dealership was 66.7 MPG which is outstanding. I guess my very sedate driving style really suits the Hybrid drivetrain, much better than the 30 MPG I get in my 1.6 auto.

I have to say that I have really fallen for this car and felt really connected to it, but the one and only problem is the ride. Why have they made it so firm? I currently have 17" tyres on my A3 (non Sport), but the ride is very supple. I keep trying to convince myself that I could live with it, but I really don't think I could.

My question is, how do you all feel about the ride? Has anyone made any changes which have helped? I took my tyres pressure gauge with me and the demonstrator had 37 & 36 PSI in the tyres which was wrong, so I put them down to the correct 33/32 as per the handbook and it only made a marginal difference. I wondered maybe a different brand of tyre, but the salesman said they always fit the best tyre for the car? He did say that Lexus changed the brand of shock absorbers due to initial complaints on the press cars.

It seems such a same for a car which is so luxurious inside, with the Lexus brand and that its going to cost me over £30,000 that it would have such a firm set up.

Appreciate your comments, thank you.

post-39350-0-65208800-1342989065.jpg

Lexus's normally come with Bridgestones from the factory well was the case for the Gen 1 IS's which are more of performance and handling so thier tyre compound is more harder. you could always swap the tyres for mide-range ones or non performance ones which could cure the ride quality but the car mite not handle as it ought to ... if Lexus offers 16" wheels you could opt for that instead which will result in having more tyre rubber than more wheel size.

Lexus's normally come with Bridgestones from the factory well was the case for the Gen 1 IS's which are more of performance and handling so thier tyre compound is more harder. you could always swap the tyres for mide-range ones or non performance ones which could cure the ride quality but the car mite not handle as it ought to ... if Lexus offers 16" wheels you could opt for that instead which will result in having more tyre rubber than more wheel size.

The demo had Yokohama's on it. Only problem with changing tyres is that its a total unknown as to whether it would make any difference. 16" wheels are offered, but apart from them looking lost in the arches, the saleman did admit they make very little difference to the ride.

I wonder is this the reason there seem to be so few on the roads? As apart from the ride I absolutly love it :eerrrmm:

Yes tyres like Bridgestones, Yokos tend to have a hard compound as they more for performance. These days the word Luxury cars mean both Luxury/Sporty all in one as Lexus cars old old were bashed for being too soft a ride and boring feel except the IS then. which made buyers opt for BMW and Audi instead so the new models all have a slightly firm ride even owners of L430's who came from LS400 also complain about the ride being too firm so I guess thats the trend these days. 16" should make a difference but swap the tyres for mid-range or soft compounds. but Yoko's and Bridgestones will definately feel hard on the road.

I had one has a courtesy car while my IS-F was being serviced. Fuel consumption was amazing and it returned 67 mpg over the day I had it, and I noticed the highest figure recorded previously on the car was 99.9 mpg :msn-oh:. Tried to ignore the mpg readout as it was making me question why I need a V8 :lol: .

However, it weighs around the same as my IS-F so any attempt to rush it seems to cut the mpg drastically. I also found the ride to be quite harsh and the whole experience not as refined as my F or my previous IS250 SE-L. The impression I got was that it's the way it is and changing rim sizes or tyres will not make any significant difference.

Lexus took the Toyota Auris and seemed to replace the rear shocks with steel bars :lol: Not sure what they were thinking, they revised the suspension after the initial demo cars were released but it is still too hard.

As you say, you can spec the CT with the optional 16" wheels. I'm sure it must make some difference.

Lexus took the Toyota Auris and seemed to replace the rear shocks with steel bars :lol: Not sure what they were thinking, they revised the suspension after the initial demo cars were released but it is still too hard.

As you say, you can spec the CT with the optional 16" wheels. I'm sure it must make some difference.

Steel bars isn't far off the truth.

I really don't understand it either, I thought Lexus was a luxury brand, its such a shame. It would be good to hear from an actual CT owner to see what they think. The Salesman got me to take out the F Sport model as that had some kind of suspension bar under the bonnet which he reckoned made it better, but that was as hard as nails and had nearly every piece of trim rattling in protest!!

I tweeted my comments to Lexus UK, but unsurprisingly I haven't heard anything.

Looks like Audi will be getting my business again for the new A3 which will be in the showroom Aug/Sep.

Maybe when the facelift/change the CT, whenever that will be, they will get the suspension right and I may try again!

yes Lexus was and still is a Luxury brand. but as my previous post the word Luxury now means Luxury/Sporty as Luxury car companies noticed buyers of thier cars wanted the Luxury but with and edge when they were in the mood for sporty driving. Lexus was not offering this in thier previous cars but found BMW , Merc and Audi were getting the upper hand due to thier sporty edgy nature hence Lexus made a you turn with the soft Luxury ride setup. CT200 F-Sport will definatley be harsh being an F-Sport setup just opt for the SE or SE-L without the sport package and you will be fine. have you driven the latest BMW's with 18inches wheels or the Audi's with the S-Line packagae ? if not have a drive in the Sline trim and let us know if that felt Luxury.

.... CT200 F-Sport will definatley be harsh being an F-Sport setup just opt for the SE or SE-L without the sport package and you will be fine. have you driven the latest BMW's with 18inches wheels or the Audi's with the S-Line packagae ? if not have a drive in the Sline trim and let us know if that felt Luxury.

That's my point though, the SE-L Premier as it comes isn't fine, its just too hard.

BMW's I have no interest in, but yes I have driven Audi's with the S-Line package and yes they are firm, but to me I would expect that as Audi are marketed as a sporty brand. That's why I avoid the S-Line and like my A3 I have the SE, so standard suspension, but with 17" wheels and the set up is great. As this is the same set up as the CT I naturally thought it would ride roughly the same and not just roughly.

It seems that Audi have been listening to people and now offer a cost free option of deselecting the Sport or S-Line suspension on most of their models. The new A3 is getting great reviews on their pre-release press cars which are both Sport & S-Line models, but with standard suspension. All reports are coming back as having a great balance between ride/handling even on the 18" wheels equipped S-Line models.

Interesting that no CT owners are joining in on this conversation.

Thanks for your time.

OK, I have had my CT for over a year (just had my first service last month). I love the car and for me, the ride is fine, even on the 17" wheels. I actually also test drove the 16" wheels before I bought and tbh, I found them to be a bit 'wallowy' - it was like sitting on marshmallows and I thought the 17" wheels were preferable, both comfort-wise and aesthetically. But the wheel size definitely made a noticeable difference imho. I previously had the RX400h and of course the CT is not as luxurious and soft as that but I didn't find the transition too great a leap.

Steppy, I notice you are in Hampshire, also. Did you go to the Hedge End dealership?

OK, I have had my CT for over a year (just had my first service last month). I love the car and for me, the ride is fine, even on the 17" wheels. I actually also test drove the 16" wheels before I bought and tbh, I found them to be a bit 'wallowy' - it was like sitting on marshmallows and I thought the 17" wheels were preferable, both comfort-wise and aesthetically. But the wheel size definitely made a noticeable difference imho. I previously had the RX400h and of course the CT is not as luxurious and soft as that but I didn't find the transition too great a leap.

Steppy, I notice you are in Hampshire, also. Did you go to the Hedge End dealership?

I definitely agree that aesthetically the 17's look way better. Yes it was Hedge End I went to and they were really helpful and understood how I felt about the ride.

It’s great to hear from a CT owner and that you are happy with the ride. It does seem from reading various forums that CT owners really love their cars.

I love everything about the car, except the ride. Maybe the roads I drive on are particularly bad. Unfortunately I cannot spend over £30,000 of my own money on a car and not be happy with the ride.

Stange thing is that despite the issue I personally have with the ride I cannot get it out of my head and I like the fact that they are a rare sight on the roads.

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I've always liked driving a car that's a bit more 'exclusive', too, although there seem to be a few more around now.

To be fair though, most people who have already bought one will have positive things to say, on the whole. But everyone has different needs and standards and are entitled to their own opinions.

I'm thinking I may be missing something now and if the ride is really that harsh! But as I said I didn't think it was that bad compared to other cars I've driven. I also used to drive an A-Class avant garde and I test drove an SLK - now they were FIRM!

Yes I've always liked driving a car that's a bit more 'exclusive', too, although there seem to be a few more around now.

To be fair though, most people who have already bought one will have positive things to say, on the whole. But everyone has different needs and standards and are entitled to their own opinions.

I'm thinking I may be missing something now and if the ride is really that harsh! But as I said I didn't think it was that bad compared to other cars I've driven. I also used to drive an A-Class avant garde and I test drove an SLK - now they were FIRM!

You are so right about the A Class. I had the misfortune of owning one and only mangaged to keep it for 6 months, lost a whole bunch of money in the process too :eerrrmm:

Hi

I have had my CT SL premier since November and done over 17000 miles. It is fitted with 16 inch wheels. Yes the ride is furnished but not as uncomfortable as suggested. In fact I don't even notice it any more.

My previous car was a 3 series BMW with run flats, that was firm as well.

I did try an A3 black edition with 18 inch wheels that was too hard.

I really enjoy my CT and would recommend it to anyone, mind you I have not experienced 70+ mpg I would say I get between 50-55 mpg on average

Hope this heps

My CT has 16" options and the ride quality is pretty good. It isnt a smooth as a real Jaguar ( not a tarted up ford)or a Mercedes because its never going to be a big car but its acceptable for modern driving. I liked the fact that the tyres are cheaper to replace and also its more dificult to trash 16" wheels by kerbing them. The difference in handling is negligable at road legal speeds and so the only negative with the 16" wheels is the appearance. The big positive is the tyres take away the harsh ride.

Thank you all for your comments.

I have tried the Auris and Prius, but they both felt totally soul less, unlike the CT which I really connected with.

I have to say that I don't 100% rule it out, so may be returning for another drive once I have seen & driven the new A3 :)

Well this may or may not help but on Monday I traded in my 2006 A3 Sportback (2.0 Tdi) for a ct200h se-L. On the drive home I was worried that I'd just made a very expensive mistake having come from a narrow power band manual diesel. But after 3 days of commuting and getting used to a totally different way of driving I couldn't be happier. Plus it's gadget heaven!

I'm currently averaging 53.4mpg and happy with that given its either 70mph on the A3 or sat on the drive playing with the computer with the system on (can't say engine running anymore!). Wrt the suspension, having had numerous imprezas and an A3 sport, the ct feels pretty good to me.

Well this may or may not help but on Monday I traded in my 2006 A3 Sportback (2.0 Tdi) for a ct200h se-L. On the drive home I was worried that I'd just made a very expensive mistake having come from a narrow power band manual diesel. But after 3 days of commuting and getting used to a totally different way of driving I couldn't be happier. Plus it's gadget heaven!

I'm currently averaging 53.4mpg and happy with that given its either 70mph on the A3 or sat on the drive playing with the computer with the system on (can't say engine running anymore!). Wrt the suspension, having had numerous imprezas and an A3 sport, the ct feels pretty good to me.

I would say that as you have come from a Sport that the suspension is very similar in regards to firmness. As I have an SE which is much softer the difference is much more noticeable.

Its really good to hear that you are pleased :phone:

I have a CT200h F Sport and would expect on such a model for the suspension to give a stiffer ride, and that is exactly what I get. I previuosly had a Scirrocco which was just as stiff, I do not find it off putting. The tyres are YOKOHAMA 17 inch which were, when I got the car, at a higher pressure than recommended, I have reduced them to the correct level.

I like the car, I believe however that small modern inovations have been left of such as the indicator light touch 3 blinks for motorway overtaking, I also believe the front passenger seat, even if not electrical like the drivers should have more adjustment than it has. Overall, I believe it is a well built, classy motor car, maybe a little overpriced which is so much cheaper in the US. I do not regret buying one.

I have previously owned a yellow IS 200 Sport (fantastic car) and then the IS220, which I kept for just 7 months before trading in for a more family (grandchildren) orientated car. I am deligheted to be back with LEXUS. The genuine economy is oustanding, I know it is genuine becuse of the pump cost, which for identical driving patterns with my Scirocco takes much less fuel. :flowers:

I have been living with my CT200 Premier since last November.

I opted for the Lateral Damping System with 17 inch wheels.

Whilst the ride is not as compliant as my previous Gen3 Prius, there is much less body roll and I can say I have never found it to be uncomfortable.

I love the fact that it came with all the toys I desired as standard.

A work colleaugue has just purchased a CT200 and has not made any adverse comments about comfort.

Go for it ! It will grow on you.

I have been living with my CT200 Premier since last November.

I opted for the Lateral Damping System with 17 inch wheels.

Whilst the ride is not as compliant as my previous Gen3 Prius, there is much less body roll and I can say I have never found it to be uncomfortable.

I love the fact that it came with all the toys I desired as standard.

A work colleaugue has just purchased a CT200 and has not made any adverse comments about comfort.

Go for it ! It will grow on you.

That's what i'm thinking. OK I may find it firm to start with, but maybe I will be so distracted by eeking out as many miles to the gallon as possible I wont notice the ride :phone:

• 2 weeks later...

The firmness comes from the springs and dampers - not tyres (unless you are talking about run flat tyres which are abysmal). I believe Lexus are trying to make the CT drive sportily without putting too much R&D into that area - "just make it firm and people will think it's sporty". Doesn't really work. The current IS is a bit like that too.

BMW seem to be making cars that only drive like " the ultimate driving machine" if it has adaptive dampers....the standard are not as good as they should be too.

Low profile tyres don't help - but changing the brand won't.

Hi I agree with Silver Arrow especially with regard to the IS which never rode/handled as well as it should have given the dire state of our roads. There are many more mundane, sporty or not cars that ride better than current Lexus range. My current '12 Focus rides much better (not just because it has different tyres) and Im not sorry I changed* *Apart from the fact that it doesnt look as smart and will probably disintergrate within 5 yrs and worth nothing. I hope the replacement models fix this (but doubt it!)

I have decided to stick with Audi and I am going for the new A3 which is getting great reviews for its ride & handling at the moment, plus they now offer the option of de-selecting sports suspension on the Sport & S-Line models :phone:

It really is a shame as I loved the interior and the Hybrid drive train of the CT, but I just could not live with the ride.

Thank for your input guys.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links