Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Caliper Painting

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to have my horrible looking rusty calipers painted this weekend and was wandering what type of paint you guys used and if it had to be high temperature paint. I am awaiting the delivery of my caliper decals which I ordered from amazon on sunday. The thing with the caliper decals is that I am getting very nervous that they are not going to arrive in time as they have not been dispatched yet so was wandering for a back up if there was a stencil that I could download from here or a link to somewhere else on the internet as I am very excited to have these browned off calipers looking good.

My next and final question lays with how many coats of paint do you think I would need and if I need to finish the job off with lacquer or not bearing in mind if the sticker decals do arrive in time I am only using these as a stencil.

But all suggestion and help is very very much appreciated, as me being me, I am very inexperienced when it comes to doing minor tweaks on my beloved Lex (it's also easier just to pay someone to do it :shifty:).

I am hoping someone can give me some advice on this,

Many Thanks

Simon

Hi mate, I did mine a few months back. Yes you will need HT paint and you can get that from good old Halfords, they do do there own brake calliper paint wich I used and was spot on. I put 4 coats on wich the tin said. Job done.

Also I bought my decals of eBay mate.

Hope that helps

I also done mine in black a few months ago.

I brush-painted them with a couple of coats of Halfords' own make high-temp enamel followed by 2 or 3 generous coats of Hammerite. I didn't bother with any lacquer as the decal supplier mentioned that it wouldn't be necessary.

http://stores.ebay.c...9-Custom-Design

You don't need high temp paint, if the calipers themselves are getting to paint melting temps then there's something wrong with your brakes. lol

I just used standard Halfords grey primer and then gloss black spray paint and it looks great and hasen't been affected by heat at all.

What I would regard as being most important, is to get a good coat of laquer on after the paint, otherwise the brake dust will be hard to clean off.

I agree with sprinter2012, getting a clear coat on top makes all the difference.

I took to mine with a wire brush attached to a drill then put a coat of clear over the black. Been on there nearly 2 years now.

P0145_201110.jpgP0149_201110.jpg

Quick question.....

Halfords sell HT paint which i was going to use.... But then when it comes to lacquer they all seem to be just normal and not HT.

Does the Lacquer need to be HT too or have you guys just used the normal lacquer?

Cheers

Dave.

Don't bother with HT paint, because firstly if you use HT paint and then coat it in normal laquer whats the point. lol

But secondly, a lot of HT paints need to be exposed to high temperatures to cure properly, so unless you plan on taking the calipers off and putting them in the oven afterwards it will take days to dry.

Not having a go, just trying to save you some time :)

Cheers guys.....

Think i'm gonna go for black/metallic black and will use Hammerite... So will be black as i don't think they do metallic black.

Then silver decals to match (kinda) the colour of the car.

Cheers

Dave.

hammerite is an enamel paint = HT paint.... and you can use lacquer on top of it it will not come off or burn...

unless you use the car for track purpose and even then it'll take a long time before the lacquer comes off

You've seen the pictures from people that have used the lacquer and the decals and it is still on!

Theres a paint available from B and Q called jap laq. I used hammerite on mine and it just flaked of. I asked around the local cruise scene and everyone recomended jap laq. Its brush on and is very high gloss also isnt affected by heat i have pretty well had my brakes steaming after pratting abotu on my mates farm land didnt even discolour the piant.

Is it easy to paint the callipers? I see there r two silver clip looking thing on the front, do these come off easy or do you just tap them up and paint?

It's easy to do - just mask up after cleaning and away you go :)

Theres a paint available from B and Q called jap laq. I used hammerite on mine and it just flaked of. I asked around the local cruise scene and everyone recomended jap laq. Its brush on and is very high gloss also isnt affected by heat i have pretty well had my brakes steaming after pratting abotu on my mates farm land didnt even discolour the piant.

Was it really called " jap laq " or is that a typo that should be " jap lac " :lookaround:

TG