Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Touch-Up Paint Set - Clear Laquer Question

I've just purchased a Touch-up Set (Base coat & clear laquer).

A couple of small stone chips on the bonnet <1mm

Argento Ice - for my IS250 F-Sport.

The instructions for use are in 12 little pictures. No text. Not helpful.

It is not clear to me how you can use that blunt soft fibre rubbing pad at the top of the paint pot, without scratching the surrounding clear laquer?

Grateful for any advice.

Argento

Just had a look at the touch up set I got - quite a while ago now.

Back of the box says "Touch-up Set: Basecoat + Clear lacquer with rust eraser"

Box contains 2 pots, 1 colour of car, 1 clear lacquer and some instructions.

Both lids unscrew to reveal little brush in the paint / lacquer.

On the lid of the paint pot though is a Red bit that's reversible.

Pulled it out and revealed on the other side a small fairly solid wire brush about 5mm long - scary :blink:

I have some text instructions and they call that bit a "rust eraser".

Here's the instructions I've got :-

Remove Red top (rust eraser) from the cap, reverse it and insert.

Remove any rust or dirt from damaged spot.

Apply Toyota genuine primer to prevent corrosion (PZ448-SPR10-09).

Shake pencil vigorously. Check colour shade.

Unscrew cap and touch-up with base coat.

Allow approx 45 minutes drying time and paint a second layer of clear varnish.

Do not use below +15 deg C (+59 deg F).

So perhaps the fibre rubbing pad is what you get these days instead of a wire brush - so lucky you :lookaround:

TG

I also bought a touch up paint kit which consisted of a large aerosol of "Lexus Dark Silver" water based, another large aerosol of clearcoat and one of these.

Plus I got no instructions at all!!!

I haven't tried it yet!

angle-grinder-.jpg

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've just purchased a Touch-up Set (Base coat & clear laquer).

A couple of small stone chips on the bonnet <1mm

Argento Ice - for my IS250 F-Sport.

The instructions for use are in 12 little pictures. No text. Not helpful.

It is not clear to me how you can use that blunt soft fibre rubbing pad at the top of the paint pot, without scratching the surrounding clear laquer?

Grateful for any advice.

Argento

I just got my 'paint touch-up' set and looking at the instructions they are as follows:-

Wash the area to be painted, get it dry.

Apply touch-up paint to the damaged area leaving it very slightly proud of the surrounding area, leave for 10 minutes

Wet the fabric end of the base coat container and wipe over the newly painted area to smooth-in with surrounding paintwork.

Wash the residual paint from fabric and leave the repair for a further 10 minutes.

Apply the clearcoat to the newly painted area.

leave for 48 hours and then wash again.

This is my interpretation of the 'picture guide' I too think that written instructions would be better but I have seen worse in the past.

• 5 years later...

Interesting, I just checked the touch-up instructions that came with mine (Sonic Red + Tinted Clear lacquer) and my interpretation of the pictures would suggest one must NOT shake the basecoat or the clearcoat (big red cross through the image of a hand shaking the tube?). Otherwise the same as Bluenose1940 says.

Also spotted both pots 'expire' Aug'18

I find the brush applies too much paint to small stone chips.

I was told to use the end of a wooden cocktail stick to apply small amounts of paint. This works well!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 10:03 AM, Grumps said:

I find the brush applies too much paint to small stone chips.

I was told to use the end of a wooden cocktail stick to apply small amounts of paint. This works well!

I had the same problem. May try the cocktail stick idea next time. Sounds like a good idea.

On 16/04/2018 at 3:55 PM, NemesisUK said:

Interesting, I just checked the touch-up instructions that came with mine (Sonic Red + Tinted Clear lacquer) and my interpretation of the pictures would suggest one must NOT shake the basecoat or the clearcoat (big red cross through the image of a hand shaking the tube?). Otherwise the same as Bluenose1940 says.

Also spotted both pots 'expire' Aug'18

I interpreted it that way too.

I've tried a few times to touch up a nice scratch someone left down the osr door rubbing/bump strip but it flakes off every time. Possibly due to it being plastic? Anyway, apparently you can buy them pre-done but £££ so I find a black Sharpie does the job :biggrin:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links