Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 60K Service Costing A Fortune!

Hi All,

My 55 plate is250 auto is due a service. I just got off the phone to my local dealer who quoted me £600+ for the service. I was told that this was for the 60k service. The car has done 46k. The last service (carried out last year) was done at 40k. This amount sounds really excessive. Does this sound normal to others who have had their 60k service done?

I've heard the '60k service" is pricey but as to why I don't know, probably more things need replacing instead of checking or adjusting.

The IS250 has a timing chain I think so the extra cost is not a cam belt change.

The other thing to consider is that most service books stated "60,000 miles OR 6 years" so it would appear the service is being done on an age basis rather than present mileage.

If you look in your handbook it should list what is done on each type of service or ask your dealer for more details.

You wont be far from Jem Lexus they based in London so might be worth giving them a quick ring for the 60k service quote or you can also get a quote off thier website for a full service. if your car is over 5 years old getting it serviced by Lexus will not add anymore value to its market price if you come to sell it on but will surely make it appealing to the buyer as they will know it's been taken care of by the seller. as confimed by Steve get a list of what the 60K service involves and chances are it will still work out cheaper if you get an Independent Lexus garage to carry out the Job.

http://www.jemlexus.co.uk/index.html

http://www.toyotec.co.uk/services.html

http://www.albinbmotors.co.uk/

The 60K Service includes more inspections than the regular service and changing the spark plugs and all the filters ...

Lexus Guilford did that for £470 ...

Lexus Croydon was quoted me about £730 odd ...

i heard Lexus Reading do it for even less. .... try phoning around

• 2 weeks later...

The 60K Service includes more inspections than the regular service and changing the spark plugs and all the filters ...

Lexus Guilford did that for £470 ...

Lexus Croydon was quoted me about £730 odd ...

i heard Lexus Reading do it for even less. .... try phoning around

To Add Lexus Swindon offered me a Major service for £450. They alss have a plan for £21.90 a months for 24 months which include 1 major service, 1 minor and 2 MOT.

What's wrong with changing the filters and spark plugs yourself? :) The car is out of warranty anyway and it's half an hour work, or an hour, tops. :) You just need to find a proper way to dispose of the used oil.

You can check if there is anything else to be done in the manual you got with the car, but the general idea there for all I know is that nothing major needs to be changed unless it's gone wrong.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

60K service includes spark plugs, this is the where most of the cost is. The spark plugs alone are £17 (£102 for six) and the whole upper intake has to be taken off to remove the three plugs from the right side of the "V" engine. Make sure you also change the three gaskets under the intake (part number 17176-31050). It took me about 4 hours to do them, I'm not a mechanic but I like working on cars. I bought the plugs from Lexus Birmingham for £78 on eBay so I saved quite some cash in the end. The spark plug reference is Denso FK20HBR11 (part number is 90919-01249). Do not buy anything else, they are awkward plugs (triple electrode iridium with long body) and all other plugs are incompatible.There's a full spark plug service guide on ClubLexus.com with very detailed instructions and good pictures.

60K service includes spark plugs, this is the where most of the cost is. The spark plugs alone are £17 (£102 for six) and the whole upper intake has to be taken off to remove the three plugs from the right side of the "V" engine. Make sure you also change the three gaskets under the intake (part number 17176-31050). It took me about 4 hours to do them, I'm not a mechanic but I like working on cars. I bought the plugs from Lexus Birmingham for £78 on eBay so I saved quite some cash in the end. The spark plug reference is Denso FK20HBR11 (part number is 90919-01249). Do not buy anything else, they are awkward plugs (triple electrode iridium with long body) and all other plugs are incompatible.There's a full spark plug service guide on ClubLexus.com with very detailed instructions and good pictures.

Lexus Birmingham on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lexusbirm/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=100&_trksid=p3686

ClubLexus link: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance/586459-diy-guide-is250-spark-plug-change.html

Did you get the gaskets from Birmingham Lexus as well? Were any special tools required / useful?

Just had my 6 year/60K service carried out by Lexus Tunbridge Wells. Was quoted £569 - bill eventually £817 as needed one new rear brake caliper which was sticking apparently. Spark plugs were around £120 incl VAT and before fitting. Interestingly, when I enquired some months ago about the cost, I was quoted around £665 - I waited a while to get it done as I had only done about 4000 miles in the last year or so and 38k in total. So there seems to be some room for haggling.

My car (Auto IS 250SE) is 7 years old this year, probably not worth the money in terms of resale value apart from peace of mind that the job was done properly (as far as I can tell) and at least a full set of Lexus stamps is in the handbook...