Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 300 Knocking Noise From Front Suspension

Hello everyone.

Ive been reading the forum on and off for a few weeks trying to identify the cause of something which is starting to bother me.

We own a 53 plate - 04 RX 300 SE-L and have done for the past yr. It was bought from a local, non lexus garage with full lexus SH. Its now done 57 000. Its the wife's vehicle mainly for running the kids around. We are both very happy with the car.

I am becoming concerned about a noise which I can hear constantly. It sounds to me like a clunking, bobbling noise coming from the front struts/ suspension. It is very noticeable at low speeds, on whatever road surface you are driving on, ie perfectly smooth roads or those which are more worn. I am that obsessed with it I can even notice the noise or "feel" of the clunk even when driving at 50 +. The air suspension operates fine. No lights on dash etc. I am wondering whether the fronts shocks will need replacing. Its a noise I associate with cars Ive owned in the past when the shockers were getting ready for replacing.

I have been reading some very alarming replies about the costs of lexus doing this work...? ie in the £ 000's. One member stated how Lexus sheffield charged £930 for just one shock absorber. The rest of the car is perfect, but I am dreading bad financial news.

Can anyone offer any advice. I am thinking of having it booked it at Lexus sheffield and see if they can shed any light on it, with the vague statement of "I can hear a clunking noise coming from the front end"....

The car drives and handles fine, but I am the type of person that can't just put up with these types of noises. If it was to end up costing a huge sum. Is it worth spending on this age vehicle?

Your thoughts would be appreciated, as I continue to ponder scenarios and options.

Cheers

• Like 1

You will need to visit a garage, be it a Lexus dealer or otherwise to diagnose this. There is no great history here of people reporting such problems and whilst intelligent guesses can be made, the actual car is an essential part of the diagnosis.

57,000 miles on a 9 year old car is low (if it is correct), my RX300 amassed nigh 60,000 before sale without issue (from new at 4 years of age) and had no such problems.

Whether it is worth spending serious money on an elderly car is questionable and depends upon your plans for it but there is no reason to expect other large bills from any experiences reported here.

Hi,

due to the age of your car it may be eligible for Lexus Essential Fixed price repairs for cars over 5 years old, it states a pair of front shocks at £395 fitted, give Lexus Sheffield a call and ask them about Lexus Essentials and tell them your issues. A phone call cant hurt, I never took my RX300 to Lexus until Friday and was very pleasantly surprised, well priced service, gearbox oil changed for £50, and a courtesy car. Dont forget to ask for a courtesy car! ;)

cheers Jason

Thanks for the replies. The point about the noise whilst applying the brakes is a good one, and I will check this as I dont know, or at least havent noticed or linked the 2. I will have a good listen. I had seen the price of £395 for a pair of shocks but if you look in the small print there are some *** next to the price which state it does not include those cars with air suspension...

The car went back to lexus about a month ago for a recall on the brake master cylinder. They gave me a book of vouchers which I'll have a good look through. I have noted the lexus essentials package, so will look into this.

thanks

Just picked the car back up from Lexus, having had them have a look into the noise. Fault sheet remarks :play in osf top mounting" so it needs a new suspension leg at the eye watering price of £893. They have also found the "heater position motor is running constantly" when it shouldnt be. Another £299 both inc vat....

Gutted. I know its a Lexus but £893 for a suspension leg is very expensive by anyones standards. Booked it in for 2 wks time when they have a courtesy car available...

I sincerely hope there are no more surprises for at least 2 years....

Just picked the car back up from Lexus, having had them have a look into the noise. Fault sheet remarks :play in osf top mounting" so it needs a new suspension leg at the eye watering price of £893. They have also found the "heater position motor is running constantly" when it shouldnt be. Another £299 both inc vat....

Gutted. I know its a Lexus but £893 for a suspension leg is very expensive by anyones standards. Booked it in for 2 wks time when they have a courtesy car available...

I sincerely hope there are no more surprises for at least 2 years....

Expensive indeed - is the mileage correct? I had an 05 RX300 from new an that reached 70,000 without this, and my 08 RX400 is comfortably past without problem. Has a cause been suggested because such problems have not been reported here and my experience does not suggest it.

I have definately read a historic post from 2011, of someone, also in Sheffield having to have on front strut replaced at £930. I cant recall the exact reason for it. Will try and have a look.

I firmly believe the mileage to be correct. The log book is stamped with previous service's from Lexus Croydon. The rest of the car is as sweet as a nut, and in very good condtion.

No mention of a possible cause as yet. I intend to have a chat with the service mgr when I take it in.

Does anyone have any experience of local garages being able to obtain/ fit genuine lexus parts, as it may be worth exploring this to save a few hundred ££'s.... as its only the leg, and nothing to do with the air suspension?

The price for a new shocker was troubling me, so yesterday I took the car to the garage where I bought it from a year ago. The owner and his son both drive RX300's and swear by them, repeatedly telling me they are the best car on the road by a long way.... I ended up spending 3 hrs with the boss's son, and a mechanic driving it around local roads, in between raising it on a ramp to try and identify the problem. They initially thought it was the anti roll bar/ bushes but disconnecting these and another test drive proved it wasnt. When I left the car with Lexus, I told the service staff there was a knocking noise. I am not 100% convinced the top of the suspension leg is causing the noise. That point is just below the windscreen at driver side. To me and the local garage, the noise is more from the bulk head, central deep behind the dash towards the footwells. Im not saying the Lexus man doesnt know what hes saying, but they never gave me the chance to take him out in the car and point it out. It just doesnt sound like its from the location they noted on the check sheet. I cant afford the cost of the shocker to find it hasnt cured the issue. At the moment Ive postponed the replacement until the local garage can spend a bit more time looking.

After 3 hrs of considerable messing around. I wasnt charged a penny either.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a 07 RX400h. Had to change a n/s shock which was leaking. That meant changing both shocks. n/s was OK, but o/s creaked terribly. Garage said ball joints were worn so spent £780 changing them. Knocking started n/s just as described in this blog. Had the o/s shock replaced again and its fine now but still have rattle n/s front. Sunds like its somewhere behind the front dash and steering.

Only feint but enough to drive me mad.

Am going to cut my losses and part ex it for a Grand Cherokee Overlander! Same spec as the Lexus. American over-engineering. Basic but unbreakable.