Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav (Again)

I've just bought a dash unit to do the very same - retro fit a TomTom into it in place of the stock screen. It seems it is doable, but will need custom wiring (to both the tomtom, the nav motorised unit and to the cars loom) along with some fabrication to get the screen mounted.

My plan was to strip the casing off the TomTom (I was going to use either a 5" or 6" widescreen model) and make a custom fascia and mount to fix it in place, then have someone do some wiring mods to it all so that it would;

- Only power on (and off) with ignition on/off

- Would automatically close on ignition off (and auto open with ignition on, if it was previously open)

- Open/close and tilt buttons still active

In in two minds whether to do it now or not. Mainly because it's an awful lot of cost (easily a couple hundred, if not more - cost of the nav unit, cost of a new large screen tomtom, cos of wiring mods and needing someone to help me as I don't have a CLUE about how to wire it up!) for a sat nav I'm likely to use 2, maybe 3, times a year, and add to that I already have a tomtom I can use (standalone) if I need to (it's a work supplied one so I can't mod it, and also it's not the right type for the build anyway) so I might just sell the motorised nav unit. Not sure yet, as I'm tempted to throw an LCD in it and hook up a reverse camera!

don't get what the fuss is about... check the write up off the sony aftermarket satnav, the on/off button on both units is the same ;) so you can't go wrong. no need to get yourself a technician for that.

And if you are thinking of using a rear view camera and mount the screen in that think a bit longer and go in car pc with touchscreen ( think andriod tablet 7 inch with GPS built in/ Bluetooth version 2/ headphone line out cable/ video input/ elm 327 bleutooth dongle/ and rear view camera: hardware like this usually also comes 3g enabled so you can even have internet in the car)

;) this will enable you to do everything you are able to do with a pc at home

the cost of all this will set you back about 350 to 500 if you have to buy everything and to build it in you don't need to have a lot of knowledge, you can use the same manual to get it hooked up so that it starts/shutdown and pops up/down at the turn of the key ;)

torque is obd2 interface software and works well on my old Google G1/Dream with andriod froyo build (updated now with gingerbread still works fine!)

I don't want a Sony nav though - I'd want a TomTom nav. The reason most use the Sony nav's is because they support switch on/off with power connection - something the TomTom doesn't. So it would need specific wiring to do so. The rest of the wiring is the same as doing the Sony switch out - just the wiring to make the unit open and close with the buttons and on ignition on and off. However, the fact I need to check a diagram to wire a plug means I do need someone that knows what they are doing when it comes to electronics.

Also, I don't want a car PC - I don't want Bluetooth, headphones, video, whatever elm 327 is, or 3G, and I certainly don't want to spend £350 to £500. I drive the car two or three times a week, sometimes less - some weeks not at all. And when I do drive it I'm either actually driving it, or driven to somewhere and got out - so I'm not going to sit in it and play with a computer ;)

If I did the nag, it'd be to use it as a nag - no need for music (got an iPod and a Grom for that) or movies or games (why would I sit in the car to watch a movie on a 7" screen, or sit on my sofa and watch it on a 50" screen? LOL)

I not sure about doing the nav conversion because, as I said above, I really don't think a couple hundred quid and messing about trying to get the config right is worth it for a sat nav I'll use twice a year, three times tops, and I think I'd find a rear view camera a more useful mod. If I can combine the two, using a 7" Windows CE unit to run TomTom as an app and override it with a rear view camera, then that's an option. Plus the Win CE units can be had for under £50 too...

I see you didn't understood my words:

the on/off function of the tomtom and sony are both the same.

That means you can use the same manual for hooking up the wires to get it to work.

The chargers of both units use a 12v -/+ cigarette lighter connection meaning the wiring will be the same.

The screen housing has it's own wires that you have to install to get it to pop up and down on turning the key ( will not change regardless whatever Satnav brand you use)

all you need to find out is how to take your TOMTOM apart.

I just gave you more insight in the options if you decide to put in something else in the screen and WIN CE will only give you TOMTOM navigator that doesn't get any updates anymore unless you buy them online ( meaning you'll need to make a slot for insertion of the SD-card it comes on, unless you have a 3g internet connection, wireless could work if you can connect to your home router but the satnav TOMTOM WIN CE units do not have wireless connectivity)

PS I know this stuff so well as I actually had TOMTOM navigator and they stopped the product as their satnav units make more revenue

I've been talking to SparkyStav about it, who seems to be really clued up on it, who said he'd need to mess around with the power switch to get it to turn on and off with an ignition live, which on the Sony's is easier because of how they support on/off with power as standard. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but it's beyond my capabilities, hence needing someone else to do it.

I'd be quite happy with WinCE running TomTom navigator and a reverse camera. In fact that'd be superb as I was thinking it'd be one or the other (since I was going to use a stand alone TomTom unit, so that wouldn't support reverse camera. As for everything else (car PC, movies, games, etc) - those might have been something I'd have used back in the day when I did all the car shows and car meets etc. But these days (man I sound like I'm getting old!! I'm only 30!!!!) I just get in and drive, so it's really no use to me. I know where you're coming from, and I'd have loved it if all this stuff had been as accessible, and as cheap as it is now, 10 years ago.

And to be fair, even if I put a stand alone TomTom in the unit, I wouldn't be able to update it unless I ran a USB data connection to it and fed it into the glove box, and then did the updates with my laptop in the car, as I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that after all the power wiring and everything else is done, I won't have anything to plug it into to make it work should I remove it from the car and bring it in the house?

Bottom line is, much as I think it's a great idea, would look seriously cool and be a real nice touch, I'm just thinking that, at least to me, it really isn't worth it. As it stands now, I can go outside, get in the car, stick a little TomTom on the screen, program a route and set of. When I get there I take it off the screen and go about doing whatever I went there to do. And none of that has cost me anything (except the fuel of course - wish that was free!). The only difference I can see by fitting a GPS of whatever form into the stock unit is I'd go to the car, and it'd autostart instead of me pressing the on button, and it'd sit on the dash top instead of me sticking it to the screen. Then when I got where I'm going it'd auto close and turn off, instead of me taking it off the screen and pressing a button. And I really don't think, for the amount I use it, those two things are worth best part of £200 (at least to me)

Hi Matt - this is something i am looking to do also - I want to put a TomTom XXL in the mororised unit. I have the motorised sat nav unit and have taken the screen out at the moment and replaced it with a piece of MDF covered in leather but the reverse way around so the felt suede of the hide is visible and this doesn't look to bad. Sounds a bit tacky but actually looks ok. Next i want to adjust the MDF within the unit so i can fit the adapter below.

th_76847fe9.jpg

At the moment i have just fitted the MDF in and it in and it fits well but i need to adjust it further back into the unit to accomodate the holder as its just a bit too proud and will not close properly i dont think with the added thickness of the holder. The holder has a power plug so its just a case of putting the tom tom in the holder. I need to find a way of powering the unit permanately or routing the car charger lead through the dash to the cigarette lighter socket. I dont like wires showing so will look to what North has said above and try and find the wiring for the tom tom power to fit into the cars loom.

This is something i have started but been pulled away to do other things so havent really sat down to finish it.

Hi Matt - this is something i am looking to do also - I want to put a TomTom XXL in the mororised unit. I have the motorised sat nav unit and have taken the screen out at the moment and replaced it with a piece of MDF covered in leather but the reverse way around so the felt suede of the hide is visible and this doesn't look to bad. Sounds a bit tacky but actually looks ok. Next i want to adjust the MDF within the unit so i can fit the adapter below.

th_76847fe9.jpg

At the moment i have just fitted the MDF in and it in and it fits well but i need to adjust it further back into the unit to accomodate the holder as its just a bit too proud and will not close properly i dont think with the added thickness of the holder. The holder has a power plug so its just a case of putting the tom tom in the holder. I need to find a way of powering the unit permanately or routing the car charger lead through the dash to the cigarette lighter socket. I dont like wires showing so will look to what North has said above and try and find the wiring for the tom tom power to fit into the cars loom.

This is something i have started but been pulled away to do other things so havent really sat down to finish it.

From what I understand, the power button (on the back of the TomTom) needs to be removed, two wires soldered to where it was, and these two wires run to an ignition live source. I don't know exactly where, as when Stav does it, he runs all the wires inside the motorised unit, and the end result is three wires coming out the unit that splice into the stereo unit power cable (Blue/yel stripe - Perm 12v // Grey - switched 12v (acc) // Brown or white/black strip - GND), so that when the engine/ignition is started, the sat nav powers on, and the flip up unit opens, and on ignition off, the sat nav powers off, and the flip up unit closes (in between, the open close button works, but does not power off the sat nav. The tilt button works also)

I was wondering whether it would be simpler to tap into the cigar lighter on the lower console, run two cables from that behind the dash to a female cigar lighter socket, and then plug in the sat nav using the stock USB cable, but then realised the power button for the nav is on the back (or top, depending on model), so you wouldn't be able to get to it anyway, and it'd need relocating to the front of the flip up unit fascia - in which case you might as well just do the direct wire in.

sorry every one, I dont have the motorised sat nav unit I have a flip up bit that you press down and it flips up, I think its to store ur sunglasses.

I would love to have the motorised unit but its not worth what people want for them , I dont think any way.

I agree - I wouldn't pay £175-£200 they seem to sell for. The ones Stav made are worth the money (I think he was sold a couple with a 4.8" Sony nav already fitted and wired in, complete for £200, which when you factor in the costs of the components and his time sorting it, is a good price). I only got mine because it was a bargain because of the faulty screen (seller said it flickered - I traced that back (by eye, not actually testing it) to the ribbon cable which seemed pretty lose)

Been thinking about the OP's requirements - I think by the time you spend out of motors and sliders and what have you in order to get an automated flip up, you'd have spent more than just buying a motorised sat nav unit off eBay or the forums. If you really wanted to use your flip top storage bin and a Tom Tom, what's I'd do is make a fascia from Perspex that the Tom Tom fits into, and the shape of it fills the open "gap" of the flip lid when it's open. The fix a hinge to the bottom of the fascia, and mount that on the cubby hole base. Then when you open the lid, you can lift up the Tom Tom in its fascia till its vertical (ish) and support it with the flip lid. As for power, I would probably just tap some wires into the existing 12v supply to the existing cigar lighter on the console, then run those to a female 12v socket behind the dash, and plug the standard Tom Tom USB charger into it. The cigar lighter only gets power wih ignition, so there wouldn't be a power drain when the car is turned off. Your only obstacle to overcome is the power button on the Tom Tom itself (although you could simply manually turn it on when you lift the flip lid as the back and top of the Tom Tom would be exposed before you lift it up)

Thought it over a bit more and decided not to do it. It's just work out as a very expensive sat nav that I'd very rarely use, and one that's then IS200/300 specific, so I've listed it on eBay instead!

Been thinking about the OP's requirements - I think by the time you spend out of motors and sliders and what have you in order to get an automated flip up, you'd have spent more than just buying a motorised sat nav unit off eBay or the forums. If you really wanted to use your flip top storage bin and a Tom Tom, what's I'd do is make a fascia from Perspex that the Tom Tom fits into, and the shape of it fills the open "gap" of the flip lid when it's open. The fix a hinge to the bottom of the fascia, and mount that on the cubby hole base. Then when you open the lid, you can lift up the Tom Tom in its fascia till its vertical (ish) and support it with the flip lid. As for power, I would probably just tap some wires into the existing 12v supply to the existing cigar lighter on the console, then run those to a female 12v socket behind the dash, and plug the standard Tom Tom USB charger into it. The cigar lighter only gets power wih ignition, so there wouldn't be a power drain when the car is turned off. Your only obstacle to overcome is the power button on the Tom Tom itself (although you could simply manually turn it on when you lift the flip lid as the back and top of the Tom Tom would be exposed before you lift it up)

That's what I was thinking of.

Hi Guys

I been doing the dash unit almost few months now due busy at work. as doing few test already mostly using cheap part bought from e**y. Bought the dash unit under £50 many months ago after many searching. started by using the reverse 7inch lcd screen £40. instead of using the reverse cam i hook it up with ipod to play music video as i did the stereo relay mod (thanks LOC forum).

Not bad really as i can play music video on screen and the music to the origin speakers amp(save me from buying a GROM unit)

then i got bored as i wanted a touch screen. so again got this window ce 7inch with satnav (igo8) for under £50. start play with it.

very straight fwd as the power from the dash motor unit (little help from a mod 12v usb charger) to power the 7inch unit.

extend the the power switch ON wire to the "open close" dash unit.

As if (my opinion) connect direct to the stereo unit it might weaken the engine start. so, balance or separate the power usage.

the only issue i'm having here now is that the thick dash unit is blocking the sat nav signal. unless it's "uncovered".

it doesn't have any plug for extension signal cable (that part i need to do more google search....

(anyone is welcome to share this issue i have)

need few soldering to extend the wiring and fixing for extend the Bluetooth hand free (save another ££ on hand free kit).

actually the dash unit is a pretty nice piece of gadget you can do many mod with it.

make a extended display from a double din stereo, reverse display, sat nav , turbo meter mod... and many more

As some guys here did say "easy to store it with a push button" :hocus-pokus:

hope i didn't offends any guys here as well the LOC site...

Edited by Pete Shawn

Get some pics up of it :)

Under £50 for a 7" motorised unit is a fantastic price - mine is the 5" version and wasn't as cheap as that!!! Most are selling on eBay for £150-£200!

I was tempted to go the 7" Windows CE GPS route (as already mentioned in this thread) and run TomTom Navigator and a reverse cam on it, but I've decided to sell it instead because I just can't justify the money I'd need to put into it, for something I'll rarely use (ie, the sat nav part). It'd be different if I'd bought the car with the dash unit already in and already had a TomTom XXL or similar - but to fork out at least £200 on building it up just seems not worth it to me, since I don't do enough mileage in the car to warrant it (and as said, I only use the Sat Nav for maybe 2 or 3 journey's a year)

Get some pics up of it :)

Under £50 for a 7" motorised unit is a fantastic price - mine is the 5" version and wasn't as cheap as that!!! Most are selling on ebay for £150-£200!

I was tempted to go the 7" Windows CE GPS route (as already mentioned in this thread) and run TomTom Navigator and a reverse cam on it, but I've decided to sell it instead because I just can't justify the money I'd need to put into it, for something I'll rarely use (ie, the sat nav part). It'd be different if I'd bought the car with the dash unit already in and already had a TomTom XXL or similar - but to fork out at least £200 on building it up just seems not worth it to me, since I don't do enough mileage in the car to warrant it (and as said, I only use the Sat Nav for maybe 2 or 3 journey's a year)

it's a 5inch version just cut it to fit the 7inch lcd screen. and i bought Item number: 180941767651 on e**y just open up the case and transfer it to the dash unit .. kinda like school project assignment and then done few wiring adjustment. just need to put more time to tidy up to make it look more neat look that's all.

well, i can see there's a 7inch dash unit up for sell Item number: 170902434240 perfect fit rather doing all the cutting and sanding :shifty:

since i'm not in hurry to sell my is200 yet as it's running tip top condition. i guess there still many things to discover. the screen might came in handy keeping the anyone quiet on long journey (especially kids) who's know you might need it one day. Hate buying expensive gadget and u not getting much back or dead after couple months.

will post picture later if i have the time will quote a new post

sorry every one, I dont have the motorised sat nav unit I have a flip up bit that you press down and it flips up, I think its to store ur sunglasses.

I would love to have the motorised unit but its not worth what people want for them , I dont think any way.

the flip up dash unit cost almost £100 in lexus america ex shipping and you're lucky if you can find one who sell it in good condition in the UK

I'd be interested to see it Pete, so get a few pics up please!

I know what you're saying, and I agree - with kids in the car or another front passenger that wants to watch something as you do a long journey, it'd be great (although I know I'd find it distracting and spend more time watching what's on the screen than looking at the road!!!) or for those that have a headunit that's touchscreen control compatible, or just those that use the car a lot with a sat nav regularly, it makes sense. I just weighed it up for what I use the car for, and to me, it just wasn't worth it. Like I said, I do two or three long(isn) journeys a year where I use a sat nav, and for the limited use of it, it doesn't warrant spending out for a fixed in unit - especially when I already have a simple TomTom that does the job

I'd still be interested to see your's all lit up and working though :)

Also, a bit more info on how you wired it up for power might be useful - you say you didn't wire it into the stereo power cables? Where did you take a run from? Does it auto open and close on ignition on/off, or only open and turn on when you press the open button, and power off and close when you press the close button?

I'd be interested to see it Pete, so get a few pics up please!

I know what you're saying, and I agree - with kids in the car or another front passenger that wants to watch something as you do a long journey, it'd be great (although I know I'd find it distracting and spend more time watching what's on the screen than looking at the road!!!) or for those that have a headunit that's touchscreen control compatible, or just those that use the car a lot with a sat nav regularly, it makes sense. I just weighed it up for what I use the car for, and to me, it just wasn't worth it. Like I said, I do two or three long(isn) journeys a year where I use a sat nav, and for the limited use of it, it doesn't warrant spending out for a fixed in unit - especially when I already have a simple TomTom that does the job

I'd still be interested to see your's all lit up and working though :)

Also, a bit more info on how you wired it up for power might be useful - you say you didn't wire it into the stereo power cables? Where did you take a run from? Does it auto open and close on ignition on/off, or only open and turn on when you press the open button, and power off and close when you press the close button?

hi

kinda stuck loading those picture up... but there's easily find on google image search just type in is200 sat nav and u will see couple old post picture on the satnav mod.

the dash unit power came from previous nokia hand free kit hardness to power up the dash motor... not sure if its the same power wiring cable connected to the stereo. It wasn't auto flip up when the ignition on/off as i wasn't going to use the satnav every time i get in the car. a simple push open close will do.... as u owned a tomtom... basicly just press hold lil bit longer for it to on/off just like what you do with the tomtom nav.

it's much wiser to use a cheaper gadget at first for testing. when you get the hang of what you going to do then move to next stage like what i do from reverse lcd to cheaper brand satnav.

well, i still have the reverse lcd screen as i could stick to the head rest for another extended display as long i didn't break anything... then again too much wiring to do :megaangry: (label every single wire connection for safety issue)

tell the truth i'm no rocket scientist as i'm zero knowledge as you are m8.. 90% from internet search and 10% "don't give up" lol......

i'm using an 12v compact Battery jumpstarter to power up the unit indoor on testing... connection clip hardness rather then fix dead as for easily removal on the dash unit.

i'm shock to see a 10 years old mint condition dash (faulty or non faulty unit) still fetch almost £200. talking about hard to find parts... probably because it can be use on mod that's y it cost

Loads of stuff comes up on Google image searches, I was just interested in seeing yours. You can use tinypic.com to upload the pics and post the links here.

I was curious to how you wired it up, as I've heard people say that if the power on is linked to the open/close button, then when using the tilt button, the nav screen reboots/power cycles, since power is lost for a second when it moves, and to combat that a resister needs to be wired in with a diode so as to store a little power to stop it doing it?

I'm all for the nav dash units fetching silly money, as mines on eBay right now! Currently it's only at £46 though, and it owes me quite a bit more than that!

Loads of stuff comes up on Google image searches, I was just interested in seeing yours. You can use tinypic.com to upload the pics and post the links here.

I was curious to how you wired it up, as I've heard people say that if the power on is linked to the open/close button, then when using the tilt button, the nav screen reboots/power cycles, since power is lost for a second when it moves, and to combat that a resister needs to be wired in with a diode so as to store a little power to stop it doing it?

I'm all for the nav dash units fetching silly money, as mines on ebay right now! Currently it's only at £46 though, and it owes me quite a bit more than that!

hi

sorry for the delay....

seem i'm havin trouble loading those picture from one site to another....

i'll just havta email to u the vid and pix if u want see it... cool?

well, hope the upload works and sorry for waiting...

2aa5c1d4.jpg

that's the wiring diagram (copy from previous member)

97764504.jpg

3e556677.jpg

95e4f9b5.jpg

extend another power output from the dash unit connecting a USB socket(white wrapping tape) to the satnav usb port

6bf6083e.jpg

extend the on/off power wiring of the satnav to the dash open/close button (red and black **interchangeable**)

a4f656d0.jpg

http://th_feb1a71b.jpg

http://s1055.photobu...nt=ee71e856.mp4

and the final result

http://s1055.photobu...nt=f6f1c8fb.mp4

any comment is welcome

it was my second attempt from rear view camera screen to cheap touch screen satnav.

would like to say Thanks to few LOC members who very helpful to me making this picture upload :winky:

Pete that is properly awesome! Really like it!

Couple of q's - the power source; what's it wired into to get power when ignition is on? I saw you said it's from an old Nokia car kit, so working on the basis that another car doesn't have that, I presume it could be wired into the stereo power wires?

Also, what happens if you just turn the ignition off, thus cutting the power? Does the screen just turn off (like pulling the Battery out a phone for example) and the lid stay up?

I'm really tempted to hold onto my nav unit and try this....

Pete that is properly awesome! Really like it!

Couple of q's - the power source; what's it wired into to get power when ignition is on? I saw you said it's from an old Nokia car kit, so working on the basis that another car doesn't have that, I presume it could be wired into the stereo power wires?

Also, what happens if you just turn the ignition off, thus cutting the power? Does the screen just turn off (like pulling the battery out a phone for example) and the lid stay up?

I'm really tempted to hold onto my nav unit and try this....

Hi

Is possible to get power from the stereo like you said. well, actually it's pretty much the same if u using the 12v cigarette socket or the stereo hardness.

next is:-

there's a Battery pack in the sat nav. As i've cut out the Battery pack for safety issue (Battery looks kinda unreliable :nuke: )

yes, the unit will stop working when the ignition is off.

unless the Battery pack stay intact .. you could still use it until the Battery dead and recharged when the ignition is on.

luckily the unit has it own save memory setting and so u won't lost all the setting although it only get power when the ignition on and without the Battery pack. Not sure about tomtom as i never own one.

i'm using a single usb socket to power up the satnav unit.

using a double usb socket, i could use it for the AV ipod cable act as a extra charging unit.

the is200 center unit has lot room to spare and no worries about the cable :hocus-pokus:

Ah I've got you. So in theory, I could tap into the headunit harness for an ignition power supply, and wire in a USB socket, or even tap into the cigarette lighter power wires, and do it that way (with an inline fused USB socket run behind the dash for example)

The TomTom has a built in Battery, so I could leave that intact and it would run even with the ignition off, until the Battery dies, but I'd rather it switch on and off with power on/off.

One thing that does interest me is that using the tilt button doesn't power cycle the screen/gps unit - I was told that wiring a screen/gps into the power button, to switch the screen/gps on and off with the open/close button, would mean that using the tilt button would power cycle the screen/gps, which yours doesn't. Pretty cool!

Hopefully, I've sold mine, but it's still something I'm contemplating doing one day. I think I'd rather get the 7" unit, rip the screen out, fit a generic 7" gps unit running Windows CE, run TomTom navigator on it for sat nav and wire a reverse cam into it's AV input so that selecting reverse overrides the screen (ideally without affecting the TomTom software running) until disengaged. THAT would be my ideal set up (especially so, if I could get 1) it to run the later TomTom software, with the lane guidance etc, and 2) if I could get it to auto boot into TomTom rather than to WinCE and then select TomTom)