Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

200 Cell Cat, Some Questions

gabry902

Hi all, I have an IS200 '99 softly modded (engine is stock, 1G-FE), and have installed a Magnaflow muffler and a K&N panel filter.

Obviously I didn't expect a noticeable horsepower gain, but I was looking for a little more responsive throttle, better fuel economy, better looking and sound, by helping the engine to breath better. The next bottleneck should be the main cat...

I can read everywhere about satisfied people who have installed a 200 cell cat in their cars, but I can't find any info about the IS200.

What should I know before buying one? I don't want the exhaust too loud, I hope that 200 cells will be a good compromise. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Gabri

There is a pre- cat in the exhaust manifold so if you want to free up some extra bhp you should change that...

just remember Lexus has done a good job at the manifold already and you might loose bhp by changing the manifold.

Although the flow will be better if you change the cat to a 200 cells sport cat.... (ultimately leading to 3 to 5 bhp gain over the standard exhaust)

It will be louder but not to excessive... but if you do it for BHP do not do it the gain is minimal.

BHP is gained by forced induction... either go supercharger or turbo...

Thanks for the reply. My plan is not to gain bhp since this is my daily car, I don't do time attacks or races so I would to keep it as comfortable as possible, improving the look with soft tweaks.

I would not replace the manifold because it's too expensive, I would only have the exhaust sound more "open", and thought that the main cat should make de best difference in this case.

I know that the counter pressure generated by the exhaust system is very important, expecially if the car is NA, so I wonder if.. is there the risk to lose some power at low rpm, since the counter-pressure is lower? It would not be useful for me if I gain even 10bhp at 6500rpm, but lose power at lower revs...

Thanks!! Do you think that just the K&N panel filter + the Magnaflow muffler + a 200 cell cat would be a good setting for a daily ride? It shouldn't have problems when doing the emissions test, right?

you will not have problems getting it through MOT as all these changes actually make sure you have a good working exhaust... ( might be more free flowing but still incorporates a proper catalytic converter (200 cells is bigger then the original anyway)

On a very similar note I already have a custom stainless cat back system (2x Twin back boxes) and saw this item on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-IS200-STAINELESS-STEEL-EXHAUST-HIGH-FLOW-CAT-DOWNPIPE-DP7935U-/190716927213?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c679d5ced

Any views on this item and how it might change the sound of my car? (sounds pretty good already, just curious whether to get it or not).

I found the same cat on eBay, and was wondering the same thing about the sound. I'm very disappointed to hear that, it seems to be very easy to fit.

So if I would buy a good 200 cell cat, what do you guys can suggest?

I've seen these Magnaflow:

http://www.magnaflow.eu/02catalytic_converters/02product/universal/universalcat.asp?parttype=UNIVERSAL%20CATALYTIC%20CONVERTER

but I don't have a clue to know what I should pick, and being universal means that more work/modifications are required.

I have searched for "is200 downpipe" all over the internet, but only found that 300 cell linked above.

Thank you very much, I will decide in the future what to do.

A 200 cpi should sound awesome, but I think it's best to have a stock IS200 with 154bhp and a silenced sound, rather than a loud but weak little city car with an excessive open exhaust.

I don't know if it make sense to spend even 150€ for something that doesn't bring any improvement, the only thing that improves for sure is the chance of being pulled over by a cop.

So I think I will keep it stock for now...

Thanks!

it is a sports cat but the cops will not pull you over as it doesn't give that much extra engine noise it just changes the frequency it will be more base then loud ;) plus the fact that it is new will make your engine breathe better hence the fact that the engine feels more responsive. so it is not al bad news

It would be nice if I knew someone that has it installed, at the moment I can't do a real comparison.

there is a 200 cells one on ebay going for 140 ( it's a company so look for the extra bits) use the link provided.

also do not forget that a new cat does make the engine feel more alive ;)

Sorry but I cant' see any link, could you re-post it?

Thanks

So I have finally decided to buy a 200 cpi converter, but I don't know exactly what should I pick.

Unfortunately there isn't a converter designed for the IS200, so I have to buy a universal one.

Yesterday I have measured my stock converter, it looks like 3 inches for inlet/outlet, and it is 9.4 inches long.

Now I am searching on the web, but can't be sure of which would fit better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edit:

I have found this: http://www.ebay.it/itm/MagnaFlow-Edelstahl-OBD-II-Rennkat-Oval-200-Zeller-70mm-/290540914433?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item43a5968701

Will it fit?

Finally I have bought that, and have it just installed today.

I know that the ECU should adapt a little with the greater flow, but I have the impression that the engine is a little more responsive (I have to try again to be sure of this).

The last thing, the exhaust note has NOT changed at all. I would know if the catalytic converter, just like the muffler, has to be used for a while to hear his real sound, am I right?

Yes it burns in a bit and that's when the sound changes a bit for full on deep sound you'll need to change the OEM back exhaust but for what i gathered from your questions you where not after a loud exhaust.

Yes it burns in a bit and that's when the sound changes a bit for full on deep sound you'll need to change the OEM back exhaust but for what i gathered from your questions you where not after a loud exhaust.

Yes, true... after a night driving, I hear that the sound has changed. It's more deep and loud, however I already have an aftermarket muffler (Magnaflow), and I'd regret for a second to have installed it first, because it seemed TOO loud.

A friend of mine said that this should not give any problems, because if I drive gently the sound is still similar to the stock cat, but when I push the gas you feel the difference.

I've tried some revving in a tunnel... it was great

I want to thank you guys (expecially North) for all the useful infos, I'll post a video as soon as possible!