Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Sel/mm On The Way!

Here is an interesting thing.

Today I drove from Bournemouth to Oxford to see relatives. It is a drive up A31, M27 and A34. I'd describe as an slightly undulating network of roads. No huge hills for sure.

I zero'd everything and set the sat nav destination (just wanted to try it out). I will say right from the start that that I do use cruise control a great deal on my travels, and did so today.

I am staggered to see a mpg of 42 showing on arrival. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see a figure that high. I thought it would be 36-37 at best. The exact same run in my is220d used to get about 49mpg.

And this Is from a 2.4 V6 petrol engine!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I've just been out to inspect the engine bay with a torch. It's a 1.6ltr hybrid, some comedian changed the motor when I wasn't looking!!!

Either way its damned good mpg. Better than my b- i- law gets from his honda motorbike(34mpg).

yes, that is excellent, but if it says 42 mpg then you are probably doing at best 40, and (alas) wait to see what you get on short journeys around town. If you do just a couple of short trips before refilling you will see the indicated 42 start to fall like a stone.

But they are such nice cars, aren't they? And how much would you save by driving 12,000 miles in a car that averages 40 mpg rather than one that averages 30? Even assuming both are petrol cars I think you would save little more than £650, and in my case that would be over 18 months, which is no big deal. Depreciation is the real killer.

BTW, my wife's smart coupe (84 bhp model) rarely manages better than 40 mpg, and never does much better than 35 around town.

• 3 weeks later...

Seven weeks into ownership....still loving every drive in the car!

All I have done in that time is

1. New set of carpets.

2. Personalised plates now logged with the car.

3. Put a can of BG44K thru the tank, only as a precautionary carbon controlling clean out.

Running like a dream. Work journey is averaging around 32mpg. Very pleased with that as it is a tricky little circuitous route, with very little in the way of flat or straight runs. Finding the sat nav to be very very good. Turning on the traffic congestion tab works surprisingly well and has alerted me to avoidable jams on the M27 and the A31. Loving the ML sound system through all sources. Can even shove a stick full of mp3's into the USB port and play all the folders or files you want. Don't have an Iphone but my old brick works fine via Bluetooth. Like Tango said somewhere else, tag your phone names as 'phone home' and it is so easy to phone without taking your hands off the wheel. Which is how it should be!

In essence, I am so glad I bought this car.

Seven weeks into ownership....still loving every drive in the car!

All I have done in that time is

1. New set of carpets.

2. Personalised plates now logged with the car.

3. Put a can of BG44K thru the tank, only as a precautionary carbon controlling clean out.

Running like a dream. Work journey is averaging around 32mpg. Very pleased with that as it is a tricky little circuitous route, with very little in the way of flat or straight runs. Finding the sat nav to be very very good. Turning on the traffic congestion tab works surprisingly well and has alerted me to avoidable jams on the M27 and the A31. Loving the ML sound system through all sources. Can even shove a stick full of mp3's into the USB port and play all the folders or files you want. Don't have an iPhone but my old brick works fine via Bluetooth. Like Tango said somewhere else, tag your phone names as 'phone home' and it is so easy to phone without taking your hands off the wheel. Which is how it should be!

In essence, I am so glad I bought this car.

have just purchased my Archoil AR6400 and will be wacking that in at my next fill-up! Have got my new mats too. Am now working on sorting my MP3 files for the in-car entertainment (thanks for the tips normski)

Would be interesting to know what your personal plate is so I can keep my eyes peeled when I am Bournemouth way.

Slightly comical aside....

About 5 yrs back the plate was on my is200. I had just arrived at a rather nice beach front property to measure up 4 bedrooms and a kitchen. The lady of the property came out to greet me and pronounced with great glee in her voice,

" What a brilliant number plate"

"Thanks very much" I replied, just a little puzzled as she did not know my name.

"Yes" she continued " If only you could get a 'C' in there you could almost spell 'KITCHEN' without having to try and work it out"

Once i had explained the plate to her she was in hysterics and jibed me on it each time i went back during the fit.

Still makes me smile every time I recall the moment. :)

Slightly comical aside....

About 5 yrs back the plate was on my is200. I had just arrived at a rather nice beach front property to measure up 4 bedrooms and a kitchen. The lady of the property came out to greet me and pronounced with great glee in her voice,

" What a brilliant number plate"

"Thanks very much" I replied, just a little puzzled as she did not know my name.

"Yes" she continued " If only you could get a 'C' in there you could almost spell 'KITCHEN' without having to try and work it out"

Once i had explained the plate to her she was in hysterics and jibed me on it each time i went back during the fit.

Still makes me smile every time I recall the moment. :)

Hey normski, are you a kitchen fitter then? I've got through a few of them I can tell you. Fitted one for the great Nigel Mansell and he signed his book for me after I'd done it and his P.A. said that I was lucky because he normally doesn't write as much as he did in mine!

Nowadays (last 10 yrs) I am responsible for inputting all the CAD designs and production of all components to make the chosen design. We make kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms etc etc. I am usually referred to as ' the old bloke' or 'old grey head in the office' and most of those emanate from my son!!

We have done a few Celeb projects. Coincidentally I think, it was all a bit overly hush hush, we did a kitchen for NM on Jersey via a company we supply over there.

Hi normski , your IS250 looks great and hope you continue to enjoy it for many thousands of miles.. I sold my 2006 SEL MM auto in May and only yesterday passed it on the road for the first time since and I must say it's a bloomin good looking car . However the subtle updates for your car and newer do make it look even better. (IMO) Mine was Mesa Red but Argento Ice does look particulary good. The best mpg I ever acheived was 38 (according to the trip) on a round trip to the west country, so you must be doing something right!! I have to say I shouldnt have checked back into the forum cos now I want a lexus again!! I found the paddle shifters to be a bit of a gimmick - only good for changing down on a steep hill mainly. But always kept in ECT Power mode - didnt make any real difference to consumption but drives much better. Stick it in SNOW mode for a very sedate drive! (But dont go on snow without winter tyres - you'll know about that already!)

How do you find the ride with the 18 in wheels? I always found it rather jiggly on rough roads even with 17's... Are 18's worse? Keep an eye on those tyres because the wheel alignment was a big issue for me and cost me dearly!

I ended up with a Manual 2012 Focus Titanium, which you might think is lacking in the gadget department - but not so (even with no extras) - and you'd think wasnt as smooth or quiet to drive - but not so. I travelled all the way down to France from IOM and it was great, smooth, practical, economical etc, BUT evenso its not a Lexus. The interior design is a bit of a dogs breakfast - tiny buttons a bit all over the place, some dubious ergonomics and I didnt think I would miss the auto but I do. While ok the design is slightly odd/questionable too - the elegance and yet subtle sportiness of the IS is a winner in my eyes, even its interior while maybe a tad dated (better on the facelifted models) is superbly functional - and I miss that... The Ford does have a better ride though. (16in wheels though)

So in another 3 years (if I'm well behaved) I think I'll be on the hunt for the Mk3 model as new as I can manage..It should be an excellent car if they have taken heed of much of the comments over the MK2's long run. Can't wait to see it - shouldnt be long now..

All the best

Marcus

Hiya Marcus, nice to see you visiting the fold again and filling us in re your Focus! Let us know if you're down the West Country way at some point in the future, it would be good to possibly meet up.

By the way, normski's car aint Argento Ice, tis Arctic Pearl

Hiya Marcus, nice to see you visiting the fold again and filling us in re your Focus! Let us know if you're down the West Country way at some point in the future, it would be good to possibly meet up.

Hi Geoff, will do - yes would be good to meet sometime . I stand corrected on the hue but they both look good anyway! Get on with it and get that 250 auto SEL by the way!

M

Hi Marcus

Hope you manage to get your Lexus in the not too distant future.

The ride with my 18" wheels is really good.... Not jiggly at all. It's way better than the ride in my old is200 with 17" wheels. Incidentally I took a test drive with my son in an Audi Quattro 3.0 diesel with 18" wheels... Now that WAS jiggly and not very pleasant on main roads around Bournemouth.

Geoff is right my car is the White variant...named Arctic Pearl. It looks particularly stunning at night under lights.

Have to admit I don't think I'll be going back to a manual gearbox. Really liking this auto box.

That's a fair point about tyre tracking, though it will apply to any car. I always get mine checked every 6 months and try to regularly give them the once over with a quick visual check. Bit expensive not to!

Used the heated seats yesterday for the first time......nice. Even put the rear blind up as a tip of the hat to Carl911!! Well, it was sunny on the way back home.

Hi Geoff, will do - yes would be good to meet sometime . I stand corrected on the hue but they both look good anyway! Get on with it and get that 250 auto SEL by the way!

M

Marcus, really!! did you not notice my profile thingy at the side there?

Hi Marcus

The ride with my 18" wheels is really good.... Not jiggly at all. It's way better than the ride in my old is200 with 17" wheels. Incidentally I took a test drive with my son in an Audi Quattro 3.0 diesel with 18" wheels... Now that WAS jiggly and not very pleasant on main roads around Bournemouth.

Geoff is right my car is the White variant...named Arctic Pearl. It looks particularly stunning at night under lights.

Have to admit I don't think I'll be going back to a manual gearbox. Really liking this auto box.

That's a fair point about tyre tracking, though it will apply to any car. I always get mine checked every 6 months and try to regularly give them the once over with a quick visual check. Bit expensive not to!

Used the heated seats yesterday for the first time......nice. Even put the rear blind up as a tip of the hat to Carl911!! Well, it was sunny on the way back home.

Lol, got to love the blind.

Also, I feel quite proud when opening the front doors at night, those Lexus neon blue door plates look cool.

It's the little touches of class that set this car above.

You'd think I was 14 not 40..

Carl

Hi Marcus

Lol, got to love the blind.

Also, I feel quite proud when opening the front doors at night, those Lexus neon blue door plates look cool.

It's the little touches of class that set this car above.

You'd think I was 14 not 40..

Carl

Have to say, that interior looks pretty impressive, super colour. The only thing I don't like is the light carpets. I feel that blue would look stunning!

Carl911,

Just an idea....try a set of the charcoal black carpets. Think you may find them of benefit. They are a touch easier to keep clean and don't show the dirt so readily. I had exactly the same as you in my is200 and found them a right pain, until I went for the dark carpets.

When I bought my IS it came with the lexus cream mats and some great lexus Rubber mats which came in very handy. Where I have to park for work is like a muddy swamp.. as Carl says the black actually looks pretty good with the rest in cream. I will say that considering my cream mats were not new they were still good after 2 years. Quality worth paying for I think. You should see my Ford ones... S*** . At least the carpets are black but I loved the cream interior/headlining combo of the IS so light and airy - not so keen on the all grey or black versions..black hole of calcutta by comparison. (and went great with the red body colour) Sounds like Geoffs will look well with the Blue body

too..

M

• 2 weeks later...

Two months of ownership thus far and am still loving everything about this model.

One thing I have found slightly silly is hiding a couple of buttons out of sight behind the steering wheel. The other bits I knew of from the 220d so no point bringing those minor points up.

Mpg is pleasing too.... currently averaged 32 around town and 39 on trips. I'll settle for that.

Thats the only bit I miss about my 220d... getting 39 around town and 52 on a trip.

That geezer parked way over there, far from other cars, in the supermarket car park? That'll be me then!!

It will be interesting to see what mpg I get next year if, as hoped, we go back to France again. Then I'll be able to get a nice big journey to contend with.

That geezer parked way over there, far from other cars, in the supermarket car park? That'll be me then!!

just to qualify that statement. If it's Arctic Pearl, then it's almost certainly normski2, however, if it's Canterbury Blue that stands a pretty good chance of being me!!