Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Sel/mm On The Way!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so Normski, come on then! where's the promised pictures? it's been two days now

Yeah I know. Will try and do some this weekend..honest! In my defence I have come home each night,had tea, and then gone out for a drive. :)

Sounds like a lovely car. I'm Amazed at your MPG figures, when I test drove one over a long journey I only got 33.5(which I thought was good for a 2.5 auto!). I think I need a driving lesson off you :)

She is a beauty. The MPG? I expect others can beat me hands down... it's early days yet! As I did with my 220D, I use the Cruise Control a great deal..it will beat my foot every time. Once you have the hang of it and the confidence...it really is so easy to use. I urge anyone to go and use their Cruise Control.

Sounds like a lovely car. I'm Amazed at your MPG figures, when I test drove one over a long journey I only got 33.5(which I thought was good for a 2.5 auto!). I think I need a driving lesson off you :)

She is a beauty. The MPG? I expect others can beat me hands down... it's early days yet! As I did with my 220D, I use the Cruise Control a great deal..it will beat my foot every time. Once you have the hang of it and the confidence...it really is so easy to use. I urge anyone to go and use their Cruise Control.

Have to agree with the cruise control comment. I always use mine whenever circumstances permit. It really is so simple to use, especially with availability of the 'resume' button. Also, I ALWAYS set my cruise control to the required limit when negotiating motorway roadworks/contraflow systems as I have one or two friends who have been 'done' for speeding at such locations.

Does you new car have the 'Dynamic cruise control' normski2?

Yes I do the same thing on pretty much any speed controlled zone, even 30 mph when its being actively enforced with zero tolerance.

No I don't think I have the Dynamic Cruise... by that I presume you mean the radar type controlled method? Have not seen any logo pronouncing it on any buttons yet.

Yes I do the same thing on pretty much any speed controlled zone, even 30 mph when its being actively enforced with zero tolerance.

No I don't think I have the Dynamic Cruise... by that I presume you mean the radar type controlled method? Have not seen any logo pronouncing it on any buttons yet.

Hi again normski2, Now that you have had a fair few goes in your newly acquired IS250, I am wondering, what are your findings with regard to the acceleration when compared to the 220d. As you know, I currently have the 220d and I find that the acceleration is superb and I would be interested in your comparison.

The reason that I am asking this is because of a post that I have read today whereby the contributor regards the acceleration in the IS250 as completely gutless, see post number6 at the following link :-

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=78444

Hi again normski2, Now that you have had a fair few goes in your newly acquired IS250, I am wondering, what are your findings with regard to the acceleration when compared to the 220d. As you know, I currently have the 220d and I find that the acceleration is superb and I would be interested in your comparison.

The reason that I am asking this is because of a post that I have read today whereby the contributor regards the acceleration in the IS250 as completely gutless, see post number6 at the following link :-

http://www.lexusowne...showtopic=78444

We currently have two IS250 autos and I have driven countless numbers of IS200D/220D over the years. Whilst the IS250 is not the fastest accelerating car out there, it is more than adequate for everyday driving, and has much much better acceleration than any of the IS diesels. I understand that the diesels are very torquey, BUT the IS250 auto's will kick down instantly given better acceleration. The IS Diesels felt gutless to me when they were out of their very narrow powerband.

Normski, you would have an extra button on your steering wheel under the DISP and voice button on the right hand side of the steering wheel like the MODE button on the left hand side. You would also have a glossy black badge with a silver L on the grill of your car which is the radar.

I would most definitely NOT describe the is250 acceleration as gutless. If the poster thinks it is then maybe he has a problem that needs addressing.

The is220D and is250 are two completely different beasts.

The 220d will leave you a little bit cold from a stop at the roundabout, until you learn to give it some revs to feed from. The 250 will just effortlessly glide away...and I use the phrase 'Effortlessly Glide away' because that is exactly what it does.

Get up and motoring on the m-way and the turbo from the 220D will punch you past just about anything you want it to. The torque is very good indeed and the acceleration from, say 55mph, is really quite startling. Right now I would say that type of acceleration is possibly better than the is250. But, and this is a considered 'but', I have not yet explored the full potential of the semi system and paddle controls. Give me a break I have only had it 4 days!!!!!! The driving pleasure of the is250 is just light years ahead. Sorry if that distresses anybody, it's just my own personal observation.

Right now to be perfectly honest and I am just so amazed to be returning 37.6mpg from a 2.5 V6 on my local run to work and I'm finding the car such a joy to drive that I want to take longer routes home to prolong the experience. And it sounds gorgeous at any revs from inside the cab or outside. I must say the 220D on the Mway at cruising speed was bearly audible. I drove mine back from Scotland to Bournemouth in one hit (650 miles) and thoroughly enjoyed it. So too did my wife!!!

If I can drag myself off Brownsea Island in good time tomorrow I will try and get some piccies up over the weekend. Given all my pandering to the new motor....tomorrow is Sally day for me, if you know what I mean. :whistling:

In reality its just like any other White is250SEL....does like quite pretty though!!

Thank you F.A. and normski2 for your comments on the matter of acceleration, both are much appreciated, thank you.

Normski, or any 250 driver, I would be really interested to hear any comments on the use of the 'paddles' I have not yet had the opportunity to see, or experience, these in use.

The paddles on the is250 are limiters and not shifters as you would expect them to be. I really like how they come in handy to use engine breaking to slow down the car on slopes without causing too much wear on your pads. Under hard acceleration the paddles do feel like shifters except that there is a lag of about a second so you have to time your shifting accordingly.

In terms of acceleration the paddles can have a huge impact on how quickly you move. If you are flooring the car from a stop then it's pretty straightforward and you might be better off just leaving the car in D. However when the car is moving and you kick down, using the paddles can have a big impact on how quick it feels. The engine will not let you down-shift to a gear that will damage it. So you can down-shift using the paddles till you hear a double-beep and floor it then for the best results.

For example:

- Travelling at 30mph in D, car sitting in 5th gear, you decide to kick down. The car will probably revert to 3rd and start accelerating.

- Using the paddles you can go down to 2nd and it will no doubt feel faster.

Anyone who has driven the manual is250 would know that the V6 is pretty quick. The AUTO has the same engine too so it's just a matter of getting the gears right to get the best results.

The paddles on the is250 are limiters and not shifters as you would expect them to be. I really like how they come in handy to use engine breaking to slow down the car on slopes without causing too much wear on your pads. Under hard acceleration the paddles do feel like shifters except that there is a lag of about a second so you have to time your shifting accordingly.

In terms of acceleration the paddles can have a huge impact on how quickly you move. If you are flooring the car from a stop then it's pretty straightforward and you might be better off just leaving the car in D. However when the car is moving and you kick down, using the paddles can have a big impact on how quick it feels. The engine will not let you down-shift to a gear that will damage it. So you can down-shift using the paddles till you hear a double-beep and floor it then for the best results.

For example:

- Travelling at 30mph in D, car sitting in 5th gear, you decide to kick down. The car will probably revert to 3rd and start accelerating.

- Using the paddles you can go down to 2nd and it will no doubt feel faster.

Anyone who has driven the manual is250 would know that the V6 is pretty quick. The AUTO has the same engine too so it's just a matter of getting the gears right to get the best results.

Thank you for your explanation Exdee, most useful. However, I think that to get a full understanding I will need to either watch someone putting them to use or to try it for myself. It has been rather more years than I care to remember since I owned an automatic. If I remember right it was probably sometime around the early 1960's, and it was an Austin 1100.

The car sounds great, I'm jealous.

Not to hijack your thread but I used to thnk the sel had everything, e.g. Sat nav, mark levinson etc.

I noticed some don't so can I presume tht there is sel and sel multi media ( multimedia meaning the sat nav/ mark levinson addition?

Carl

Not to hijack your thread but I used to thnk the sel had everything, e.g. Sat nav, mark levinson etc.

I noticed some don't so can I presume tht there is sel and sel multi media ( multimedia meaning the sat nav/ mark levinson addition?

Carl

I too always thought that the SE-L had the lot but no, you have to have the multimedia for the SatNav etc and then you don't necessarily get everything, there are other additional options to such as a sunroof and dynamic cruise control, the list seems endless. i'd really like to see a model that had absolutely everything, probably costs an arm and a leg though!!

Carl

Yes, there does seem to be different permutations of the same beast. There is also the SEi that gets close..ish to the SEL spec. More irritating is that sellers often make the headline ad look like SEL. I always looked for the SEL then dug deeper into the specto see if all the bits I wanted were there. Also closely inspected the pics for things like the Mark Levinson logo on the consoleand the internal colour scheme.

I don't have a sunroof, but I did not particularly want one. Don't like the impact it has on headroom. If I really want to blow my wig off I'll pinch Sals Mx5 for a day!! Now that was a fab car to take into the Alps. If want vistas you can see it all in one of those. Just can't take much with you...travel light!!

Carl

Yes, there does seem to be different permutations of the same beast. There is also the SEi that gets close..ish to the SEL spec. More irritating is that sellers often make the headline ad look like SEL. I always looked for the SEL then dug deeper into the specto see if all the bits I wanted were there. Also closely inspected the pics for things like the Mark Levinson logo on the consoleand the internal colour scheme.

I don't have a sunroof, but I did not particularly want one. Don't like the impact it has on headroom. If I really want to blow my wig off I'll pinch Sals Mx5 for a day!! Now that was a fab car to take into the Alps. If want vistas you can see it all in one of those. Just can't take much with you...travel light!!

Likewise, all I want is the sat nav/ mark levinson setup and I must admit because I'm a sucker for gadgets I really want the electric sun blind because let's face it, that is pretty slick..

Carl

I just love those wheels normski2, wouldn't mind a set of those. What on earth is all that tape doing on your number plates!! I would have thought that a chap of your calibre would have some photo editing software on his PC!

Lovely car matey, hope I end up with something close to it when I get mine,

The wheel arches on the front seem slightly bulgier than on mine, did they modify them on your later model, or is it the camera angle?

Thanks Cloughy, yours don't look too shabby either!! Nice colour too! :whistling:

Sorry Geoff. Just couldn't be arsed to fart around with photoshop. Been helping relocate an Off Licence in B'mth today...bloody jiggered I am!! Just wanted to get some snaps upload em and then insert them.

Wheel arches? Think they're the same as always but I may be wrong. The wheels are 18", beauts aren't they? I really like the colour too.

The 2010 still has cooled seats too?

Looks nice. :phone:

Yes it does Jason. Heated and cooled. Tried the cooled today, worked a treat. This is a late 59 plate, end of Jan. Think from March 2010 there may have been some changes. Don't know when precisely but the Mark Levinson was dropped and from what FA has indicated the MM moniker became FM (full map).

The 2010 still has cooled seats too?

Looks nice. :phone:

Yes it does Jason. Heated and cooled. Tried the cooled today, worked a treat. This is a late 59 plate, end of Jan. Think from March 2010 there may have been some changes. Don't know when precisely but the Mark Levinson was dropped and from what FA has indicated the MM moniker became FM (full map).

Normski, the car looks awesome. Good luck with keeping the light interior clean though! I think the final facelift where the MM was dropped and the LED DRL's came in ETC started around Sept/Oct 2010

Thank you I am mightily pleased with the purchase, I have to admit. My wife knows I am too!!!!!

How remiss of me... I forgot one pic that ireally should have put up

Here it is

lexus9.jpg

The illuminated scuff plate is in its element at night!!