Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fault Code Reader ( Obd ) ?

Hi,

Last weekend I changed the 2 sensors for Denso dox 0243 which sorted the check engine VSC warning on the dash, its lasted just over a week and the lights are back on ( bugger ), looking at the forum my next guess was the maf sensor, so I followed the instructions and removed and cleaned it using electrical connector cleaning spray as advised, reassembled and lights still on.

So I now need to read the fault codes to see what the problem is, have called a couple of local garages and the want £40 plus vat, no chance as on eBay they are advertising generic fault code readers for as little as £15, will these work?

Also is it OBD OR OBD2 on a 2001 rx300?

Cheers for any help

Jason

It depends on which one you purchase. I have the engine light and VSC light that comes on all the time and I have been reliably informed that there is sod all wrong. I bought one on eBay for £19.95 which definetly works on Lexus's. It clears the fault for about two days and gives you the code and fault. For me, it was worth it, as I cleared the fault prior to having my cars MOT done, if I had not cleared it, the MOT centre are obliged to list it in the comments field of the new MOT certificate. Just wish I had known all this prior to paying £30 and £40 pounds for some other bloke to plug his in !!! Look for item number 150879985740 on eBay.

Hi Jaspersilus,

I've had the same problem. I changed to 2 A/F sensors, pulled and replace the ecu fuse and the lights were gone. Two weeks later the lights are back on. A diagnostic check shows up ' Fault Code P0420 -

Catalyst System efficiency below threshold (bank 1)'.

I have looked up Lexus rx300 diagnostic Fault Code List on internet and that code shows trouble area

1. 3 way cat. converter.

2. Open or short in Oxygen sensor (Bank 1 sensor 2) circuit.

3. Oxygen sensor (Bank 1 Sensor 2).

4. Open or short in A/F sensor (bank 1, 2 sensor 1 ) circuit.

5. A/F sensor (Bank 1, 2 sensor 1).

Now I'm lost.

Hope you get your Lexus sorted.

Cheers

dad1.

Yep, that's the exact same error code and fault description that I get. But I have been reliably informed that there is sod all wrong and my car is running perfectly. Now, I am not saying that's the same for everyone !!!

I do know that if you take it to a Lexus main dealer.....you better stop off at the ATM on the way !!!

If you can find a honest garage that will connect their fault code reader to it, but also check everything else and they confirm that there is nothing wrong, then leave it (as long as you can live with the warning lights on the dash being on), but possibly do as I did and buy a reader for £20 and cancel the codes BEFORE you take it for a MOT.

My RX 300 passed it's MOT with the VSC light on and no comment made. (This was a reputable local MOT station of long standing).

I know from diagnostic tests that it's caused by faulty lamda sensor but haven't got round to changing it yet.

My RX 300 passed it's MOT with the VSC light on and no comment made. (This was a reputable local MOT station of long standing).

I know from diagnostic tests that it's caused by faulty lamda sensor but haven't got round to changing it yet.

When? - there was a discretionary period until very recently during which it was not a failure.

Aha - date of MOT was 8th May 2012 so I was probably just in time.

Fault diagnosed was P1155 A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1). I found a cheaper sensor on the internet (claiming to be original Denso at £117.60 inc VAT but was told by the guy that did the diagnostics that non-dealer lambdas may be OK but may last on;ly a week or two before the VSC light returns. In view of that I delayed purchase.

Am i right in thinking that my fuel consumption has increased due to the faulty lambda (Currently about 14 to 15 mpg for short local journeys (school, shops, etc.)? Seem to remember getting about 20± mpg before.

Aha - date of MOT was 8th May 2013 so I was probably just in time.

Fault diagnosed was P1155 A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1). I found a cheaper sensor on the internet (claiming to be original Denso at £117.60 inc VAT but was told by the guy that did the diagnostics that non-dealer lambdas may be OK but may last on;ly a week or two before the VSC light returns. In view of that I delayed purchase.

Am i right in thinking that my fuel consumption has increased due to the faulty lambda (Currently about 14 to 15 mpg for short local journeys (school, shops, etc.)? Seem to remember getting about 20± mpg before.

You were well within this period - I think the start date for failing vehicles was 1 September.

'Catalyst System efficiency below threshold (bank 1)'.'Yep, get that on my lpg converted RX300. Did Emission test on petrol only and it couldn't have been any cleaner or lower in terms of passing MOT. Same test on LPG and once again, lowest level of emissions you could get on a car with 90,000 on it. Seems that Lexus warning lights will come on if it goes cloudy or you slam the door to hard. Just away of getting owners in to Lexus service bays and milking them dry if you ask me.

Ok, I won't pretend that I know what I am talking about !!! It obviously sounds like these warning lights are coming on when there is absolutely nothing wrong.

So, does anyone know if the actual sensors can be easily located and cleaned....or something ?? and would this stop the warning lights coming on and erradicate the faults on the fault reader ?

I am certainly not going to replace them.

Cheers

Bobby