Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Change The Sat Nav Display

Hi Guys.

Today is a sad day as my lovely IS-F has developed the all too popular Sat Nav screen of death fault.

The unit still works fine but is completely unresponsive to touch.

Having search on Google for "Lexus sat nav screen unresponsive" I was amazed how many other people have this issue after about 3-4 years (so be warned)

Lexus of course have no interest in helping me to fix the issue unless i am kind enough to hand over more that £4200 to have a new unit.

I found a few on eBay and will try my luck but I have a question to the arm chair techies out there...

I know that a non-"Mark Levinson" unit is not compatible due to the active and passive amps but does anyone know the difference between the following two display unit models...??

From my 2008 ISF Display Part Number 86111-53100

From a 2009 IS 250 SE Display Part Number 86111-53070

Looking at the pictures all connections are identical, the front facia is identical and so assuming I keep my DVD/Radio section and just replace the display screen am I likely to have success ??

Holy crap that's bad! I can't answer any of your questions but i have to ask was there any warning from the screen?? Can you use the heater controls, the phone etc. can't believe LEXUS don't want to help. Never heard of that before.

£4200! That's shocking. It could be long shot but you could try contacting Lexus GB and tell them how dissapointed you are, they might subsidize some of the cost.

Mine froze once, but restarting the car fixed and haven't experienced it since. Hope it is not a sign that it will fail soon!

Or if you are a DIY person read this:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/610678-frozen-navigation-screen-fix-diy.html

These prices are not uncommon, as I had a M3 on which the screen failed, and had a similar quote. Lucky I had a warranty, and that's why I've taken the extended warranty from Lexus, when mine dropped over the 3 year mark. I've been more worried by all the gadgets going wrong, than the mechanicals!

It is a shame that after more than 30 years of cars being crammed full of electronics that those who service/repair them receive no meaningful training on how to repair them. In general, even manufacturer-linked repair-shops know less about the electronics in their cars than they do about brain-surgery or nuclear physics. What is shameful is that this not tremendously high level of electronic complexity costs very little when not fitted to cars, but replacement car-units are at totally ridiculous prices - devices like digital TVs or laptops would cost 10s of thousands of pounds if they were essential parts of cars and Currys & Dixons would immediately go bust if they had to price products on the same basis.

Manufacturers, including Lexus should really act responsibly to provide economical repair facilities for their elecronic assemblies - but these could prove difficult to staff and as a sensible alternative, provide replacement assembles at much, much lower and realistic prices - I would suggest that as an equivalent to most domestic electronics, a complete refurbished service-exchange MM/Satnav unit should cost no more than 400 GB Pounds plus fitting, with some sub-assemblies available at less, to reflect the actual cost of such units. At any higher price either Lexus, customer or both are being royally screwed.

I'm sure I saw a topic on this very problem somewhere on here. Or was it on the USA club? There was quite a lot written about an electrical ribbon breaking down and how to remove the unit, the screen and repair it. If I can locate it again I'll put the link up here for you, or pm it to you.

It is a shame that after more than 30 years of cars being crammed full of electronics that those who service/repair them receive no meaningful training on how to repair them. In general, even manufacturer-linked repair-shops know less about the electronics in their cars than they do about brain-surgery or nuclear physics. What is shameful is that this not tremendously high level of electronic complexity costs very little when not fitted to cars, but replacement car-units are at totally ridiculous prices - devices like digital TVs or laptops would cost 10s of thousands of pounds if they were essential parts of cars and Currys & Dixons would immediately go bust if they had to price products on the same basis.

Manufacturers, including Lexus should really act responsibly to provide economical repair facilities for their elecronic assemblies - but these could prove difficult to staff and as a sensible alternative, provide replacement assembles at much, much lower and realistic prices - I would suggest that as an equivalent to most domestic electronics, a complete refurbished service-exchange MM/Satnav unit should cost no more than 400 GB Pounds plus fitting, with some sub-assemblies available at less, to reflect the actual cost of such units. At any higher price either Lexus, customer or both are being royally screwed.

I agree absolutely and entirely with your comments. I remember a couple or so years ago I had a problem with my Panasonic Hard Drive Recorder and when I queried the cost of the repair, it was £50 just to look at it and the repair was estimated at about £80.00. I went onto an AV Forum and found some instances of repairs to the very same unit along with very comprehensive instructions and photographs on how to do the repair.

I checked my machine and verified that my problem was the same as was being described. I ordered the necessary part, the cost of which was 99p so I ordered two! (no expense spared there you know) and proceeded to do the repair. The machine is still working perfectly and is used for recording on an almost daily basis.

In case you were waiting for that link. I was just about to copy and paste it... then I noticed the link that Giorgio gave up earlier.

Yup, thats the one I was reading that I saved a link for.

The link mentioned above is precisely what I was talking about in my earlier post regarding my repair of the video recorder. Whilst I am reasonable at using a computer, I am not that brilliant so I am wondering if anyone might know how that link could be copied in some way and put on this forum as a 'sticky' in the appropriate section as i'm sure that there will be some members who will need to make use of it at some time in the future.

For any experienced service technician, the DIY fix would take 1 hour at most, so approx. £100 in labour. Instead they are too lazy and prefer to charge you to replace the whole unit for £4200 which, apart from the ribbon, is completely fine and functional.

Its like Lexus suggesting that your replace your whole car when your brake pads wear out!

A lot of these official service technicians don't have any initiative, they just follow what the computer says, what the workshop manual says or what the technical bulletins say. It is very poor service.

The link mentioned above is precisely what I was talking about in my earlier post regarding my repair of the video recorder. Whilst I am reasonable at using a computer, I am not that brilliant so I am wondering if anyone might know how that link could be copied in some way and put on this forum as a 'sticky' in the appropriate section as i'm sure that there will be some members who will need to make use of it at some time in the future.

Why not suggest that to any Mod on the forum? Good idea Geoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links