Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Run Flats

LuvMySc

It's been some time since I last posted....I have been reading the pro's and con's of run flats as opposed to regular tires. I am confused. Some say it will damaged the rims if there is a blow -out...Others say it's the best investment they made.

Can anyone suggest a good set of regular tires? I need something that will go in the New York snow. If I purchase regulars....what do I do about a spare. Does tire sealer really work? Do I have to wait for a flat to use it? Are there any softer running run flats? I must get tires within the next month...any help would be greatly appreciated.

:duh:

It's been some time since I last posted....I have been reading the pro's and con's of run flats as opposed to regular tires. I am confused. Some say it will damaged the rims if there is a blow -out...Others say it's the best investment they made.

Can anyone suggest a good set of regular tires? I need something that will go in the New York snow. If I purchase regulars....what do I do about a spare. Does tire sealer really work? Do I have to wait for a flat to use it? Are there any softer running run flats? I must get tires within the next month...any help would be greatly appreciated.

:duh:

Recently I have tried two types of tyre on my GS-300, here are my comments. Both tyre types are asymetric type pattern (bi-directional)

Michelin Pilot Primacy:

Very Long Lasting, Firm Ride, Low Noise, Good wet and dry performance.

Dunlop SP Sport 01:

Comfortable Ride, Low Noise, Good wet and dry performance.

In general run-flat tyres have poorer ride and noise, this is because of the thick side-walls that gives the run-flat capability.

Justin.

For what it's worth: most puncture problems these days are fairly slow leaks caused by self-tapping screws working their way through the tread so I've settled on Ultraseal as a means of minimising the hassle that would come with a flat. And no need to change to a spare, so no need to carry one! (http://www.ultraseal.com)

For a major 'blow-out' then yes, the rims could be damaged, but chances of this happening are fairly small - so make up your own mind based on previous local experience.

After a year I gave up on run flats as too hard, too 'shocking' to the suspension and the rest of the car innards. Now enjoy much improved running on regular Dunlop SP2030s, which are expected to be fairly long lasting and do give a comfortable ride. Dry handling and braking are good, wet handling and braking are OK, but Bridgestone RE040's are allegedly better. (Have a look at the test reports on: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html)

Good luck with the research - hope a month is long enough !