Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

450H Tank Mileage

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're getting 30mpg on average from our 450h. That's over 10,000 miles on a mixture of motorway and urban - and driving carefully. We did slightly better with the 400h. We're disappointed with the mpg based on the hype at the showroom when we bought it. They said we should get at least 34mpg. Is anybody getting that or is it an urban myth?

hello

I am considering buying a RX 450h spring of next year and am just wondering if the mpg in people's cars

are still around the 30mpg.

thanks

Hi Jason, These FULL hybrids are , as mentioned by others, quite remarkable. However, to maximise mpg you do need to understand the car and how to drive it in order to get into the higher 30's.

Take a look at what I suggested in response to 'Ltes, lies and....' a few weeks back on the RX450h forum.

My own 450h is typical but is not a lot different to my 400h. Trogging around (10 mile trips) about 32mpg. Longer runs 34/35mpg and on long cross country up to 55.1mpg ( yes, 55.1 mpg). It is all in your comtrol! Motorway averages also benefit from the hybrid system ( everytime you take your foot off the accelerator, energy piles back into the battery for free) and on a 300 mile very quick trip we averaged 32mpg.

Our newish Range Rover (petrol) does 17mpg and our diesel Discovery ( awfully coarse and slow compared with the 450h!) did 27mpg.

Tyre pressures are very important (no surprise there) but after that it is down to using the hybrid system intelligently.

Jason

We're getting 30mpg on average from our 450h. That's over 10,000 miles on a mixture of motorway and urban - and driving carefully. We did slightly better with the 400h. We're disappointed with the mpg based on the hype at the showroom when we bought it. They said we should get at least 34mpg. Is anybody getting that or is it an urban myth?

Hi, no it's not a myth at all.

I can get anything between 28 and 55 mpg average on the same run of around 100 miles.I have a running average of 34mpg for cross country use over the last four months.

Given that the car is in excllent condition and that the tyre pressures are correct, then it is all down to driving methods.

The 450h does have a TOTALLY different engine to the 400h ( it is an Atkinson cycle engine as opposed to an Otto cycle unit) but we found that it was only 1/2 mpg better in most conditions. Having said that, I never got such very high mpg figures on long cross country runs as the 450h returns.

Over the same terrain, our Range Rover does 17mpg and is not as quick. It also makes far too many trips to the dealership for repair work!

Our 400h went 5 years without a single problem and the new 450h seems to be going the same way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

The worst mpg figure is available from us. We tend to achieve 24 - 27 on most tanks and for the reason...retirement and weather dictates that the car is used for supermarket trips, hospital trips, to the shops etc etc and of course the season. The colder it is, the heated seats are on the heater, windscreen wipers...all eat fuel.. This is more than satisfactory compared to our previous Honda CRV and Subaru Forester. Add a run on a tankful and our mpg will shoot up to just over 30. So it all depends on how used. I would think that unless used like ours, anyone would improve considerably on this.

Pity that such an excellent vehicle cannot be backed up by a service that is supposed to be "the bees knees" as we are told on purchase, so if anyone can can recommend a company that offers good old fashioned service with out the bs of interior vacuuming...I would be eternally grateful.

Hi Richard,

You make some important comments and your reference to other makes of vehicle are very useful.

I cannot get my 450 down to 24mpg and my 400 did better than that with a 1.5 ton trailer on. Nevertheless, I can imagine conditions ,as you describe, where such low figures do arise.

I find comparisons very valid and the poor figures you mention for other 4X4s, so be it smaller and lighter, are a great guide. We have a new petrol Range Rover and it is into single figures during cold weather and on short stop start runs! Our almost new diesel Defender is better but not by that much!

Our diesel Discoveries were disastrous and at motorway speeds real guzzlers.

There is no doubt that a well driven hybrid is considerably better than a SIMILAR vehicle. I note that Mercedes has now followed Toyota/Lexus with a hybrid 300 car and estate.

Sorry you are having some sort of difficulty with your local franchise. You are too far away to use Lexus Guildford but they are truly superb. Colin Searle is THE man and he doesn't give you any bull! Just first class service and straight from the shoulder advice. He is delightfull.

Enjoy your motoring

• 3 months later...

I had my 400H for 5 years and did 80,000 miles averaging 31 mpg. Now my 450H is up to 25,000 and has averaged 33mpg. Recently I've been entertaining myself be being ultra gentle on the right foot and am getting 36 - 37 mpg on mixed rural and motorway driving. Maybe it's something to do with being in Sussex, but I also have had remarkable reliability, with nothing other than a standard service on either car. I've also found Lexus Guildford very good, so was Brighton, shame they closed as Guildford is quite a bit further away.

Hi Mike, good to hear that you are enjoying your new RX450h.A truly excellent choice, in my opinion.

If you are exploring the mpg potential, perhaps a quick read of my posting 'Lies, damned lies.....' to another member (who used to live in Haselmere) will help in someway to get the best out of this beast. I would guess, however, that after five years with a 400h that you are more than capable already.

Ours continues to be a dream! Absolutely no problems of any nature and is now going like a bat out of hell! Mind you, we don't get 55mpg when clogging it!

I was going to have a Lexus towing system fitted to this new car (we had one on the 400h) but the price is prohibitive and the towbar vanishes with the car when we sell it! So, we bought a low mileage Honda CRV already fitted with a bar. Good little 4X4 but the difference when compared to the 450h is remarkable. We only get 30 mpg running solo and sub 20 pulling our trailer. The lack of performance is most marked and the refinement totally incomparable. And it is a much smaller car altogether. Mind you, compared with the Freelander that comes visiting us every week, it is a real dream!

Our 'new' Range Rover is still a pig, with awful reliability, shocking mpg and frankly a bit of a waste of time. It will be going soon!

I also bought a 'new' IS250C from Lexus and am surprised with that too. Very refined and in spite of running on low profile tyres it is realy very smooth and tranquil. Without a shadow of a doubt, it rides far better than my Bentley Continentals ever did and makes my son's new Aston feel as harsh as an old cart!

However, there is no way that it can match the 450h for mpg.

I don't think that Sussex breeds good reliability or mpg! We took the car to the Lake District for a week and its mpg up and down much bigger hills than we have in the South Downs Park, was astonishing. On the Motoway trip going up there, we only did 31mpg but once there, the average was 42mpg. Admittedly it was leisrely motoring but it all adds up.

How is your insurance? I have a deal for a Multicar policy with Aviva and for the 450h, the Honda 4x4 and the IS250C I am paying just over £500. Given that the two Lexii (the Japanese insist that is the plural!) are very high group rated, that doesn't seem too bad.

Keep enjoying that hybrid.

• 1 month later...

That sounds good, Mike.

We got stuck in a serious accident last week. Stationary, crawling along, queuing for nearly an hour and yet over the 70 mile trip we averaged 37mpg.

Don't know how to help on the ride question......I always set my pressures well down to book minimum and on air suspension find the ride is very acceptable and far better than an X5 we had. Maybe you should reduce them a bit each week until you are happy and then check mpg whilst keeping a monitor on tyre edge wear?

On my 400h I didn't find that one or two psi affected mpg or wear at all.

You might find that rear pressures are the more dominant factor.

• 4 weeks later...

That sounds good, Mike.

We got stuck in a serious accident last week. Stationary, crawling along, queuing for nearly an hour and yet over the 70 mile trip we averaged 37mpg.

Don't know how to help on the ride question......I always set my pressures well down to book minimum and on air suspension find the ride is very acceptable and far better than an X5 we had. Maybe you should reduce them a bit each week until you are happy and then check mpg whilst keeping a monitor on tyre edge wear?

On my 400h I didn't find that one or two psi affected mpg or wear at all.

You might find that rear pressures are the more dominant factor.

i got 46mpg on a round trip to york 264miles in total had the car 3 weeks and love it

i have had my rx450 sei in white for 3 weeks, upgraded from is220 which never let me down in 4 years, love the car had a round trip to your 264 miles in total got 46mpg which i am very pleased with.